It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C3 through C6 ACDF...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-20-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
    bamabug
    (male)

bamabug HB User
    C3 through C6 ACDF...

Hi folks. I have been a long time lurker on here and finally decided to join.

I have looked at several threads concerning ACDF, which have been very helpful.

I am looking at C3-C6 fusion in about a month. This is will be by the same doctor that did my L4/L5 fusion in 2010. I totally trust him and have no problem in agreeing to have it done. I have severe stenosis at C3/C4 and very large herniated disks at C4/C5 and C5/C6. Arm pain is ridiculous and my right hand is very very weak.

I just wanted to see if there are any newer opinions on here regarding multi-lever ACDF. I'm mainly concerned with loss of mobility.

Thanks again.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2012, 09:36 AM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: C3 through C6 ACDF...

What do you know about laminoplasties? It's another option for the same problems without fusion.

Jenny

Old 02-20-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
    bamabug
    (male)

bamabug HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jennybyc View Post
    What do you know about laminoplasties? It's another option for the same problems without fusion.

Jenny
    Thanks for the reply. I have not heard of laminoplasties.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
    melliegirl
    (female)

melliegirl HB User

Greetings

I had a C3-6 ACFD 10.2010 and I'm pleased to report I'm doing well. My ROM is better than expected and the procedure def took care of the nasty that was threatening my mobility. I do have a permanent spinal cord injury that mainly affects my obliques and upper abdominals (feels like I wear a rigid corset which at times is more noticeable than others). As for pain, I still have some pain in my left shoulder, but nothing like it was pre-surgery. At times, I have a "stiff" neck, but that is usually contingent upon my level of fatique (I have MS, as well) or an activity that is out of my norm. The only new sensation? My thighs are numb, not too terribly bad. My NS indicated another result of injury.

All in all, I'm well pleased with the results. I can walk and for that I'm eternally grateful.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Best,

Mellie

Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 AM   #5
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

The laminoplasty is the non-fusion alternative to the ACDF. Instead of going in from the front, they go from the back. The surgeon then removes the bone over the back of the spinal canal and re-shpaes it and re-attaches it to double the amount of room in the canal. This takes any cord compression away. At the same time, he can do foraminotomies to open the holes where the spinal nerves go out to the body allowing the nerves to move away from the disks as well. I woke up from mine with all pain and numbness gone but yet my cord was still protected by bone and no fusion was done. When I had it, nothing was added to help stabilize the spine during the healing process but now, that has been changed to allow a strip of titanium to be attached to the vertebrae to allow for stability.

Both Webdozer and I have had it done. Mine was C3 to C6 with a C7 decompression as well.

Fusions are the beginning of trouble in the spine. The spine is meant to function with movement and once you stop movement, the deterioration of the spine begins. The bigger the fusion, the faster it deteriorates. I am waiting for a date to have similar non-fusion surgery on my L5 and S1 to preserve as much normal function as possible.

Worth asking about but very few spine surgeons do them in this country. It is the standard around the world except here, they just keep doing the same old, same old. Fusions beget more fusions. But it seems not too many docs want to learn how to fix things in a minimal way.

Jenny

Old 02-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
    bamabug
    (male)

bamabug HB User

Thanks again folks. I'm trying to get as much info. as possible before surgery.

I've done physical therapy, shots, chiropractor, and meds. None of it has done a bit of good.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #7
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

If you want more info, you could post your MRI report here. However, if you completely trust your doc, there's no point in that...

Old 02-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #8
    bamabug
    (male)

bamabug HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
    If you want more info, you could post your MRI report here. However, if you completely trust your doc, there's no point in that...
    I totally trust him, but I may post it anyway.

Thanks

Closed Thread