It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI help -dizziness and loss of coordination of left leg

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #1
    bethcar
    (female)

bethcar HB User
    Question MRI help -dizziness and loss of coordination of left leg

Hi,

I too was hoping to get help with my MRI. I have been having bouts of dizziness and loss of coordination for month. after a week, i tried everything to avoid ER, went to ER who ruled out everything...blood and urine, ct scan of brain, chest xray, 2 ekgs, blood pressures. found nothing and sent me home.

SO they did MRI of brain and C spine looking for MS. brain came back ok but spine is a mess. Dr. asked if I had an accident or fell-nothing. The day before it started, I raked my very small hardly any leaves covered yard and cut a small tree branch down by hand saw. The next day i bent to pick an item up and i got dizzy. later that night went for a short walk and it was worse, and my feet were purple/ black. The dizziness used to only occur while bending, walking, carrying something or putting arms above head, like reaching into cabinet. If I continue to walk, I lose coordination of my legs and appear like someone who is drunk and cannot hardly walk straight or stay on feet. Now it happens when laying down and move arms and I hear owl sounds. like its my own heartbeat of blood rushing through my ears (this makes me sound crazy, huh?). when i saw neuro after first scan, he just said it doesnt require surgery just a little PT but wants to image my lumbar first. i went for lumbar next day but it seems like my dizziness is now no longer important. i have not fallen and if i stop walking or am laying down it lasts for seconds and goes away. if i continue to walk it will continue to happen for like 20 ft or so or if i stop will go away after some deep breaths and about 10-15 seconds

C spine MRI results:

c4 c5 1mm broad based right paracentral disc herniation with compression on the thecal sac

c5 c6 asymmetric bulging annulus more prominent to right of midline with compression on thecal sac

c6 c7 broad based central/right paracentral disc herniation with compression on thecal sac

c7 t1 broad based central/right paracentral disc herniation with compression on thecal sac and with contrast clear visualization of a central annular tear. they suggested mri of my t spine (but so far no order)

Lumbar:

abnormal bone marrow signal in left ilium (hip) hypointense on T1 and hypo-to intermediate signal on T2 data set. (rec mri w/wo conrrast of and xrays of boney pelvis which was done yesterday because it is showing up black on MRI)

anterior marginal osteophytes formation and mild degeneration of dis desiccation at all lumbar levels. mild narrowing of L2-3, L3-4 intervertebral disc is noted. mild diffuse annular bulge is seen from the L2-3 through the L5-S1 level, resulting in mild compression of the adjoining ventral thecal sac. Mild effacement of the neural foramina appeared unremarkable. there is a decrease in the AP dimension of the central apinal canal at the L3-L4 level, measuring appor 9 mm. conus medullaris and roots of cauda equina are normal. Schmorl's nodule formation is seen at T12 through L4 levels.

diffuse lumbar spondylosis and mild diffuse posterior annular bulge

I go on Friday to neuro for pelvic results. I looked at MRI and can see black hip bone but other than that dont really know what else to look for. Neuro says i just need PT not surgery. Pain doctor says back will never get better- just looking at reports and not discs- and that best case scenario hip is avascular necrosis and worst case - cancer. the last five days have been FOREVER and the next 2 I imagine wont be any shorter.

Thanks for any info or suggestions or even just your time for reading. its prob more time than these doctors spend with me. One doctors office said my insurance doesnt pay for "well-care" just pain mgmt. so i guess they just pay for me to become a drug addict. not really an option since its just me and an 11 year old. Its sad that after $20,000, i still dont know why the dizziness is occurring.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: MRI help -dizziness and loss of coordination of left leg

Just so you know.... I'm only an interested amateur, with too much personal experience.

Your cervical MRI is far less informative than it ought to be. Radiologists should not be paid for turning out garbage like that.

In my experience, though, it's quite unusual to see someone with four consecutive bulging disks (three herniated). In fact, there may even be more further down, but they didn't do a thoracic MRI. I can see why your doc wondered about an accident.

Anyway, you have disks at (at least) four levels pressing backward into your spinal canal. The canal is a sort-of-elliptical channel that runs vertically behind your disks and vertebrae. It is ringed by bone. Inside this canal is a membrane called the thecal sac. The membrane is there to contain the spinal fluid. Inside the fluid is that spinal cord. The thecal sac is being compressed by the disks pushing back into it.

So far, so clear, but here's where the problems arise. Compression of the thecal sac, in and of itself, is not necessarily problematic. Problems arise when the sac is so compressed that the spinal fluid is "effaced" (pushed away) and the spinal cord itself is compressed. This is generally considered to be a bad thing, even though cord compression may be asymptomatic for a long time.

Your radiologist SHOULD have said how bad the thecal sac compression is. He SHOULD have said if the cord is compressed. He SHOULD also have talked about the "foraminal" openings, where nerves leave the spine and head off to the shoulders/arms/hands.

I guess he had a tee time he was late for, and decided to leave it up to the ordering doc to decipher the MRI. Not so bad, really, although it leaves you in the dark until then, and makes an evaluation by us amateurs pretty much impossible.

Last edited by WebDozer; 03-08-2012 at 06:14 AM.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #3
    bethcar
    (female)

bethcar HB User

I have yet to go to doctors for results of bony pelvis mri w/wo contrast (thats tomorrow at 1) and they called to say I need to go in for nuclear medicine full body bone scan. I guess if that wasnt scarey enough, your response adds to it (but still thankful someone took the time to respond even if it is with bad news). At least the next scan is being done somewhere else. Maybe I'll get a better report-from radiologist and for health. My biggest fear is that I might need to relocate to another board again next week.

Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I wouldn't say my post added to your bad news. The radiologist may just be the type who thinks that if something isn't a problem, he doesn't need to mention it. So he'll say that the thecal sac is compressed, but won't bother to mention that the spinal cord is NOT compressed. You'd think that adding those few words would not be expecting too much.

Anyway, the next doc you see will look at the image and tell right away if the cord is compressed.

Sorry I can't say much about the lumbar, except to note that the adjective "mild" seems to predominate, which is GOOD....

Old 03-08-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Bethcar...glad you made it over here. Webdozer isn't giving you bad news just both of us are so frustrated by the "quality" of reports we are seeing form radiologists. We both take neck problems so seriously because we are the ones who live with them and the docs don't.

I'm going to ask another poster to come and read your posts. As I told you, I'm wondering about the blood vessels in your cervical spine that go to the brain as the source of some of your symptoms and since she has those problems, it might be best to speak to her. She goes by the name SK84Life.

Hang in there again...............Jenny

Old 03-19-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
    sk84life
    (female)

sk84life HB Usersk84life HB Usersk84life HB User

Please give us an update!

Last edited by moderator2; 03-19-2012 at 04:30 PM.

Closed Thread