It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• As promised, mri results... VERY LONG POST!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User
    As promised, mri results... VERY LONG POST!

So here are the results of my brain, cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine mri's. I will try and remember to put the date at the top of each, as none are real current. My goal is to see if any of you can help me figure out what is causing my horrible burning nerve pain at the top back of my left shoulder and throbbing headaches in lower left back of head. Also, to get your opinion of what my next move should be...like, neuro, spine doc or pain clinic. As you know, I wanted to go to the pain clinic. I do see a neuro next Monday, but that is to rule out MS. She knows about my mri's and pain, but I'm pretty sure she hates me.
    I had hoped to scan these results, then copy and paste, but wouldn't ya know it, the scanner is not seeing my laptop. So I have my work cut out for me. The burning nerve pain and headaches were NOT present at the time of any of these tests, that's why I think something has gotten worse, but not sure what.

Here goes...
    MRI brain without and with contrast.
    08/14/2011
    Findings:
    No acute or remote intracranial hemorrhage. No enhancing mass lesion or abnormal fluid collection. The ventricular system and other extra-axial fluid spaces are within normal limits.
    The gray-white matter differentiation is well delineated. There are approximately 20 small round T2 hyperintense lesions randomly distributed within the supratentorial deep white matter structures primarily in the bilateral frontal and parietal lobes. The largest lesion is in the posterior right centrum semiovale measuring 10x6 mm. It exhibits no enhancement or adjacent vasogenic edema, however, there is a uniform restricted diffusion of the lesion. There is no associated T1 weighted signal alteration, lesional enhancement, restricted diffusion or mass effect/vasogenic edema within the remained of the white matter lesion. No discrete cerebellar lesion identified.
    There is a subtle nonspecific T2 hyperintense signal along the lateral aspect of the right pons, which can be seen inpatients with demyelinating disease (MS). There is no associated enhancement, restricted diffusion or T1 weighted signal altercation. No abnormal enhancement or restricted diffusion in the brain. No gradient sequence abnormality in the brain. The pituitary gland is normal. Large intracranial vessel flow voids are maintained. Each of which contain air fluid levels. Fluid opacification is also seen in the anterior ethmoid air cells bilaterally.

Impression:
    1) Approximately 20 small nonspecific T2 hyperintense white matter lesions are randomly distributed within the bilateral frontoparietal deep white matter favoring a vascular etiology (such as chronic small vessel ischemia or other vasculitis) given the distribution, patients age and lack of associated lesion enhancement/vasogenic edema. The largest lesion in the posterior right centrum semiovale exhibits restricted diffusion signifying acute/subacute injury. However, subtle T2 hyperintense signal along the right lateral aspect of the pons is nonspecific and may be related to pulsation artifact but can be seen in patients with demyelinating disease (MS). Therefore, follow-up imaging should be obtained as clinically indicated.
    2) Marked concentric mucosal thickening of the maxillary sinuses which contain air fluid levels. Correlate for acute and/or chronic sinusitis.
    end.

I did have a doppler on my neck and a ct (with contrast) of my head to look for a blood clot and/or aneurism after this mri, both tests came back normal.

Cervical spine mri without contrast (done following brain mri, so don't know why no contrast, unless there was some already in there from the brain mri)
    08/04/2011
    Findings:
    There is no vertebral fracture. There is long segment straightening of the cervical curvature with the focal reversal (cervical kyphosis) centered around the C5-6 disk space. No abnormal bone morrow edema. There are chronic degenerative endplate changes at the C5-6 level consisting of endplate irregularity and degenerative bone morrow signal alteration with concomitant moderate disk space narrowing. The remaining cervical spine internal disk signal and intervertebral disk spacing is normal.
    The spinal cord and visualized posterior fossa contents are normal. No obvious spinal cord lesions, cord expansion, or syrinx cavity. The craniocervical junction is normal.
    No prevertebral soft tissue or paravertebral soft tissue abnormalities. There is marked concentric mucosal thickening in both maxillary sinuses.
    C2-3 within normal limits.
    C3-4 within normal limits.
    C4-5 within normal limits.
    C5-6: there is a circumferential disk bulge with broad based disk osteophyte complex, eccentric to the right. Bulging disk material contacts the ventral surface of the spinal cord, particularly on the right. There is mild spinal canal stenosis.
    C6-7: there is a small circumferential disk bulge without associated spinal canal stenosis or spinal cord compression.
    C7-T1 within normal limits.

Impression:
    1) reversal of cervical spine curvature centered at the C5-6 disk space with concomitant C5-6 degenerative endplate change, disk space narrowing and posterior disk osteophyte complex which abuts the ventral aspect of the cervical spinal cord, particularly on the right. There is no altered cervical spinal cord signal.
    end.

Thoracic mri without contrast.
    04/30/2010
    Findings:
    The spinal cord is normal in size and signal intensity and terminates at the L1 level. There is normal thoracic alignment. There is mild disk space narrowing and associated end plate degenerative change at the T7-8 level. This is degenerative in nature. The bone otherwise are unremarkable. There are no acute osseous abnormalities. The remaining disk space and vertebral body heights are maintained. End plate degenerative changes and disk space narrowing is partially visualized at the C5-6 level. There is associated diffuse disk bulging with minor effacement of the ventral aspect of the cervical cord. If indicated, this could be further assessed with mri of the cervical spine.
    T7-8: There is minor diffuse disk bulging. This minimally effaces the ventral aspect of the spinal cord. There is no frank central canal stenosis. There is no focal disk herniation. There is no visible nerve root impingement.
    The remaining thoracic intervertebral disk spaces are normal.

Impression:
    1) mild degenerative disk disease and diffuse disk bulging at the T7-8 level. The bulging disk minimally effaces the ventral aspect of the spinal cord with no central canal stenosis.
    2) degenerative disk disease and disk bulging are partially visualized at the C5-6 level. If indicated, this could be further assessed with an mri of cervical spine.
    3) The remaining portions of the thoracic mri are normal.
    end.

Lumbar mri without contrast.
    03/04/2011
    Findings:
    Metallic susceptibility artifact in the central pelvis. Otherwise, no paraspinous soft tissue abnormalities. Lumbar spinal alignment is within normal limits. Small rudimentary intervertebral disk at S1-S2. There is mild narrowing and desiccation of the intervertebral disk at L4-L5. Desiccation L3-L4. Spinal cord termination is within normal limits without signal abnormalities.
    Above L3, no signal disk pathology or spinal stenosis.
    L3-L4: left neural foraminal to extraforaminal annular tear associated with disk protrusion. Facet arthrosis, right greater then left. No central canal stenosis. At least moderate left neural foraminal stenosis. Mild right neural foraminal stenosis.
    L4-L5: mild disk bulge in the neural foraminal extraforaminal regions bilaterally. Mild facet hypertrophy. No central canal stenosis.
    L5-S1: intact intervertebral disk. Facet arthrosis bilaterally. No stenosis.

Impression:
    1) Mild degenerative spondylosis.
    2) Left neural foraminal to extraforaminal annular tear with an associated disk protrusion at L3-L4. This contributes to at least moderate left foraminal stenosis. No central canal stenosis at any level.

END!

OK... this took forever to type out. Tried my best to correct typos as I went. So I have 3 really painful spots that I am trying to decipher.

1) burning pain on back of left shoulder (between the top to the shoulder to the top of the shoulder blade) and lower left back side of neck.

2) I cannot do anything with my arms (dishes, cook, fold laundry) without the T7-8 area being in excruciating pain. That was the purpose of the mri, but never had any dr actually suggest a possible fix for it. It's like "ok, there's the problem, now shut up."

3) I wouldn't know where to begin to explain about the leg and hip pain. It's nonstop. Been that way for years.

So my questions to you are...
    What are your suggestions about treatment?
    Should I just keep suffering?
    Should I go to the pain clinic?
    Do you think any of these things can be fixed surgically? <---- don't even want to think about that. I'm 52 and recovery may take longer then years I have left...lol.

As I said above (way at the top) this burning nerve pain in my shoulder and headaches were not present at the time of any of these tests, it's something new. That's why I think I've went and messed something up.

THANK YOU to anyone who made it to the end of this!!!!

Last edited by kenzibenzi; 03-20-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #2
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User
    Re: As promised, mri results...VERY LONG POST!

And... my doctor will only allow me ONE Tylenol #3 a day for pain. She says "we don't give out pain meds and all these tests show is normal wear and tear from aging." I've had visions of throwing her down a flight of stairs :-/ THAT'S why I found a new doc that I will be seeing for the first time April 11th.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

That "at least moderate" problem at left L3-4.... are your leg problems worse on the left than on the right?

T7-8 doesn't look bad (although it's two years old).

C5-6 doesn't look all that bad, EXCEPT........ the kyphosis. I wonder if part of your problem isn't that your neck has started tilting forward, and you're wearing out your neck and shoulder muscles trying to hold your head up.

I'm afraid that's all I've got. I can't even think about commenting on the brain MRI. I hope you get a much better response than this. After so much typing, you deserve one...

Old 03-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

WebDozer:
    It's fine... I totally understand the brain mri. I basically posted it because MS also has numbness, tingling and pain as a symptom. Just wanted to get it all out there in case someone came on here and said "pain, tingling and numbness are also symptoms of MS, maybe you should be checked for that." Just wanted to say "I am being checked for that."

To answer your question... the left leg was really bad at the time of the mri, now they are both really bad.

I'm going to ask the neuro for something for pain and for new mri's, don't know if I will have any luck. She is not a nice lady.

What do you think about the neck....is there hope? You think pain shots might help to figure out if that is what's causing the pain? And how on earth would we fix it?

Thanks for replying. I know it was long, but figured without the whole picture it's kinda useless.

The following user gives a hug of support to kenzibenzi:
    rannch (03-21-2012)
    Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
    rannch
    (female)

rannch HB Userrannch HB Userrannch HB Userrannch HB Userrannch HB Userrannch HB User

kenzibenzi, have you thought about posting it on the MS forum for one of them to look at? Have you been sent to an MS neurologist or offered any further tests? I'm totally clueless about MRI reports but really and sincerely hope you get some answers soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to rannch For This Useful Post:
    kenzibenzi (03-21-2012)
    Old 03-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

Yes, I've been on the MS board for over a year while I wait. I came over here and posted because of the spine mri's.

I haven't seen an ms neuro, not for lack of trying! First my doc sent me to the mean lady neuro, who specializes in alzheimer's. She is the one who ordered the brain scan, ct scan and cervical mri. She ordered a ton of labs, which all came back fine. My doc set me up with a follow up with the mean alzheimers neuro, then I called and complained so they set me up with a different neuro (als), then they called and switched it back to the alzheimers neuro for this monday. Now this morning I got a call saying they switched it back to the als neuro on april 4th. Either way... it is time for my follow up brain scan, maybe the als neuro will order it, OR, send me to the ms neuro who is in the same building as him.

I dunno...it's all very frustrating, to say the least. At least in the mean time I have all of you to talk to...lol.

Last edited by Administrator; 09-25-2012 at 03:29 AM.

Old 03-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
    rannch
    (female)

rannch HB Userrannch HB Userrannch HB Userrannch HB Userrannch HB Userrannch HB User

Lol, I know that feeling very well. I hope you get the tests you need and that you get some answers. I know that before my MRI I was frantically googling myself insane by looking at what else my symptoms could mean...it's not good for anxiety levels is it? Fingers crossed you get a nice non-mean neuro this time x

The Following User Says Thank You to rannch For This Useful Post:
    kenzibenzi (03-21-2012)
    Old 03-21-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Well, I read through all of it and I think you need to follow up with the MS possibility. Frankly, your spine is probably not causing you any problems or at least, minimal. What you say is a T7-8 issues, is not....T7-8 wrap around the chest at the waist level, just below the rib cage. C5-6 has a problem but on the right side, and only affecting the cord in a very minimal way...not the spinal nerves. As for the lumbar, that is the only place where you have a spinal nerve compressed but only moderately. That would cause some pain over the front aspect of the left knee but the compression is not bad enough to be causing major problems.

I've had major spine problems from C1 down since I was a kid and my best friend has had MS since her late teens. We have compared our symptoms over the years and what you describe does not sound like spine but more like MS. Spine issues don't burn like that...they just plain hurt. The burning comes more from an irritated or inflamed nerve and not a compressed nerve. And spine issues tend to be right along the nerve involved so if it's compressed on the right side, it's the right side that hurts and you can follow the nerve right down your arm. But I know from my friend that MS pain can show up in random places not associated with a particular nerve because the problem may be starting in the brain. Once a plaque begins in the brain, it hits the areas controlled in the brain so it comes up anywhere in the body, not necessarily along the path of a nerve.

And when a spine issue gets bad, rather than hurting even more, you develop numbness instead. The pain actually goes down as the weakness goes up. What you paint is not a picture of a spine in trouble but a brain in trouble.

I know that sounds scary but my best friend will be 58 next month and is still walking...not bad after 40 years of MS. The new meds they have are amazing. She used to be in the hospital with use of only 1 limb, or at home in a wheelchair with outside care, trying to raise 2 little girls. Then along came they new meds and she was on her feet really fast, has raised one of the granddaughters and volunteers with the paramedics in her town. And she just got her college degree. MS is not what it used to be. It is controllable and you can live a long and good life with it.

Your MRI's of your spine are great...how I wish I had them! Nothing there is really a problem. The docs really need to look at your brain as the source. If they won't, find a new doc, especially one that specializes in chronic brain disorders like MS. I've noticed that most neurologists now specialize in one area or another of the brain or spine so look for the one who actually likes to treat MS and related disorders.

good luck..........Jenny

Old 03-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

Thanks Jenny! What you say makes perfect sense. I've been thinking the same thing, but then that ONE person or comment comes along and says something that makes me doubt the entire thing.

My legs... the pain is hard to describe. I can't even walk to the mailbox without them getting weak and wobbly. They fall asleep when ever they want, my feet too. I've even had foot drop and temporary vision loss in one eye. I see all the signs of MS, but truth be known, I'll probably be dead and then the pathologist will diagnose it...lol. I have to make jokes, because it's all I have. I don't drive anymore because I can't see clearly out of one eye. When I get groceries, I lean on the shopping cart and make my way through the store, once I sit in the car for the ride home, that's it... I can't even get out and walk in the house. I have to have help and use a walker.

Time will tell...lol. Hopefully this new neuro will be nice and at least order a new brain scan. But if there are no new lesions, then I don't know what they will do. AND, I do see a NEW PCP in april as well, maybe she will be more "into me" than my last dr. Until then, I just suffer in silence and on these boards. And YES, I've read up on all the MS drugs, they are helping a lot of people! That's great news. I know MS won't kill me, but if I do have it, it's making my life suck pretty bad.

Listen to me rambling. Ok, thanks for all the encouragement. It really did/does help. I have nobody at home to talk to, my husband is a crotchety old fart and would rather watch tv than talk to me.

Last edited by kenzibenzi; 03-21-2012 at 06:18 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to kenzibenzi:
    Chitown2012 (03-22-2012)
    Old 03-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #10
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

And Jenny.... your description of the spine mri's was FANTASTIC! And I snickered when you said "What you paint is not a picture of a spine in trouble but a brain in trouble." I often pretend I'm the tin man in the wizard of oz and sing 'if I only had a brain!"

Ok, I'm off to take a shower and wash my troubles down the drain, then settle in for a night of American Idol. Have a great evening!

Last edited by kenzibenzi; 03-21-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Old 03-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #11
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

I'm glad it didn't scare you but encouraged you to find the answers.

My best friend got MS in her later teens but wasn't diagnosed until her late 20's. It takes time to figure out and time for it to show up. Mind you, back then, there were no MRI's to see what the brain was doing. Now they can do an MRI and tell her where it will hit next so she can prepare.

She has had a pretty "normal" course with MS and her life has not "sucked" at all. It's been very full and happy. Maybe she can't climb mountains but she has patience that few have. And she needs it now...dealing with a 9 year old granddaughter with cancer. That sucks.

The worst time is always when you are trying to figure out what is wrong and once you get past that hurdle, it will all be uphill.

hugs......Jenny

Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #12
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

Re: As promised, mri results... VERY LONG POST!

I corrected the typo where I called my husband a crotchety old fat... I meant "fart" not fat.

This all started about 15 years ago. All those years, all I got told was that I was depressed and needed anti-depressants. The dr didn't listen to me until she thought I had a stroke. I didn't have a stoke, so now it's time for them to follow through. I know more about MS from this past year on the message boards then I thought I would ever know.

Bless your friends heart for taking care of her granddaughter. I'm so happy to hear that her life didn't suck with the MS. Being positive helps a lot. I am pretty happy and positive, but do have down times.

Thank you ladies for all the support!!!!

Closed Thread