It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI question

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-22-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
    Pam880
    (female)

Pam880 HB User
    MRI question

Hi, i'm new here, I had some arm numbness and got an MRI. I picked up the results and I'm not sure what it all means, especially the impression as compared to the discussion. Since the problems are not listed again in the impression, does that mean they're not serious?

I think I feel ok but I guess I have a few other symptoms coming along too, legs tingling, headaches, wondering if you guys could take a look, thanks.

C2-3: unremarkable intervertebral disc, facets and foramina. Thecal sac 1.6cm
    C3-4: tiny annular tear noted centrally w/o evidence of thecal sac compression. Neural foramina are intact. Facet joints appear normal. Thecal sac 1.2cm
    C4-5: right paracentral dis-osteophyte complex. Minimal thecal sac compression. Neural foramina are intact. Facet joints are intact. Thecal sac 1.2cm
    C5-6: large broad-based central disc-osteophyte complex which causes thecal sac compression. Uncoverebral prominence noted with bilateral neural foraminal stenosis. Mild central cord compression and thecal sac compression identified. Thecal sac 0.8cm
    C6-7: broad-based disc bulge with thecal sac compression and neural foraminal stenosis bilaterally. No cord compression. Thecal sac 0.9cm
    C7-t1: unremarkable intervertebral disc, facets and foramina.thecal sac 1.2cm
    IMPRESSION: multilevel degenerative disc disease with disc-osteophyte complexes seen as described above c4-5,c5-6,c6-7 disc level. Right paracentral disc-osteophyte complex c4-5.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User
    Re: MRI question

I'm gonna let someone with better terminology explain the results to you. Where is the tingling in your arm and leg.... front, back, side, entire limb? My personal opinion, and I'm no expert, but these results do not look real bad.

DDD is degenerative disc disease.
    Osteophytes are arthritic bone spurs.
    Neural foramina are the holes that the nerves run through.
    I think the thecal sac is outside the spinal cord, but I'm not positive.

Hope I didn't just make myself look dumb...lol.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
    Pam880
    (female)

Pam880 HB User

Thanks for your reply! I'm glad it doesn't sound too bad. The part about cord compression kind of freaked me out but then since it wasn't mentioned again I wasn't sure what to think.

I have numbness mostly in my feet and shins, all over, I'm normal to low weight, don't smoke, good bloodwork and good physical health. I wake up a lot withvthe left arm asleep down the forearm and first finger.

But I am getting injections, maybe that will take care of that.
    Thanks again, Pam

Old 03-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

I believe you can have A LOT of cord compression before it's serious. You might want to ask your dr to do a lumbar mri to see what's going on with your legs.

It shouldn't be too much longer until someone pops on here that knows way more than I do. It may take a little bit, but someone will explain it to you much better than I was able to.

What kind of shots are you getting? I'm considering them, but haven't worked up the guts to do it yet. I'm chicken...lol. Do they hurt or do they numb you first?

And you're very welcome. Everyone here is very nice and helpful.

Kenzi.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

You have bilateral foraminal stenosis at two levels, but the radiologist doesn't say how bad it is. Unbelievable.

Not repeating the problems in the impression doesn't mean they aren't problems. It means the radiologist is lazy. If the foraminal stenosis doesn't look problematic, HE NEEDS TO SAY THAT.

Your cord compression is at only one level, and doesn't appear serious, but I'm not a believer that the level of compression and resulting symptoms necessarily correlate. We know that a cord can become severely compressed over time w/o the level of symptoms one would expect. I believe that the converse can also sometimes be the case.

I think you need to see a good neurosurgeon or orthopedic spine surgeon, who needs to have a look at the MRI for himself. Surgeons are sometimes better at reading cervical MRI's than radiologists are.

Last edited by WebDozer; 03-22-2012 at 07:56 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    kenzibenzi (03-23-2012),Pam880 (03-23-2012)
    Old 03-22-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

I had the same problem on my mri's. The radiologist lists a long list of things, but never went into any detail with numbers or percentages. I came here and posted mine like you did, and these nice people helped me to understand things. Between webdozer and Jenny, you will be an expert soon...lol. They are great!

The Following User Says Thank You to kenzibenzi For This Useful Post:
    Pam880 (03-23-2012)
    Old 03-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
    Pam880
    (female)

Pam880 HB User

Thanks Guys, and thanks for answering so fast. You know how worrying these things can be!

Kenzibenzi: i don't think the injections hurt at all. My Dr. Is very good and very fast, the only scary part is the noise the needle makes but he tells you what to expect. I feel almost instant relief so I know he hits the right spot.

I think it's important that the Dr. be very experienced and specialize in injections, also he/she should use a flourascope to make sure they're accurate.
    Having had other kinds of surgery I'm glad to get injections and hope I can avoid any more, I would recommend them.

Webdozer: thank you I had it done recently and it was expensive. Is this the sort of thing I should complain about, ask for another report? Myinjection Dr. worked off the CD, the report wasn't yet available. I guess I'll ask him what he thinks when I see him next. Thanks for telling me tonight though, I know I didn't want to wait a few more weeks.

Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I've had two surgeons tell me they don't even bother to read the radiologists' reports. That may be bravado, but it makes sense that a surgeon really SHOULD be able to read a cervical MRI better than some guy who spends most of his time looking for tumors.

So I think that you should, if you can, get the MRI to a surgeon and see what he says...

Closed Thread