It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Return to normal activity after C6-C7 fusion?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-23-2012, 07:47 AM   #1
    Stevie Mac
    (male)

Stevie Mac HB User
    Return to normal activity after C6-C7 fusion?

My daughter had C6-C7 cervical fusion in August 2011 as a result of a fall during gymnastics practice. She fractured the C7 vertebrae in the fall which led to the fusion.

Since the surgery she has had almost no activity. In our follow up appointments with her surgeon, he gave her the ok to play soccer for her school in April.

I am concerned with her playing such a rough sport only 8 months after this surgery. My question is, has anyone else returned to this level of activity within 8 months of surgery?

Just looking for some others experiences.

Any insight you can provide is appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Return to normal activity after C6-C7 fusion?

I had a C3-4 operation when I was 45, and the surgeon seemed to have no concern about my going back to a high activity level, and in much less than eight months. His opinion was that, while the bone fusion took some time, the titanium clamp would still hold everything together.

However.... your daughter's case seems to be quite different. First, she actually broke the C7. Second, and more important, she's had very little activity in seven months. Is that because the doc didn't want her to do anything, because YOU didn't want her to, or because she wasn't able to? If the doc was saying, up until now, let's take it easy, and now he's giving you the green light, it seems pretty reasonable to me.

That's the opinion of a slightly educated and somewhat experienced amateur, which I hope you will keep in mind...

in edit.... I just thought of Peyton Manning. If a 35-year-old football quarterback can go back to practicing maybe 5 months after a fusion, and go back to playing maybe 10 months after the fusion, the 8 months for soccer doesn't seem bad at all.

Last edited by WebDozer; 03-23-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Old 03-24-2012, 05:49 PM   #3
    Stevie Mac
    (male)

Stevie Mac HB User
    Cool Re: Return to normal activity after C6-C7 fusion?

Thank you for your input.

Her activity was limited by her surgeon and was intentionally limited out of an abundance of caution. He told us the most important thing is to let it heal and "not screw it up." So he really limited her activities until the fracture was fully healed.

And "no activity" is something of a misnomer for her. She was back on the elliptical for 30 minutes a day in October. But she practiced gymnastics for 5 hours per day prior to the injury, so 30 minutes really is almost no activity.

And I too thought of Payton Manning. The only difference here is, my daughter doesn't have a $96 million dollar contract to play

Regardless, I appreciate your perspective. Thanks for taking the time to share your story.

Closed Thread