It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C3 - T3 spinal decompression and fussion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-11-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
    Kisses girl
    (female)

Kisses girl HB User
    C3 - T3 spinal decompression and fussion

I am scheduled for c3-t3 cervical decompression and fussion posterior in 2 weeks. Has any one had this done? My spinal cord is compressed in 3 places. I have battled cervical spine issues since 1995 and have avoided surgery with , PT, home traction and pain blocks. My neuro surgeon has never before pushed surgery but has now told me it absolutely needs to be done. I trust him and symptoms have gotten to the point that I am comfortable with the decision, but I'm still terrified of the risks and the post surgery recovery. I am 48 and have always been very active and self sufficient . Does anyone have any imput or advice they would like to share.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: C3 - T3 spinal decompression and fussion

Jennybyc is fused C3-T1, if I recall correctly. C3-T3 is VERY extensive. Why have all that done if you are only compressed at three levels?

Old 04-11-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
    VinG
    (male)

VinG HB UserVinG HB UserVinG HB UserVinG HB User

I'm fairly new to this, but I agree with Webdozer. I have compression in 3 spots, but I'm due to have ACDF on C3-4 and C5-7. Even though he has been your doctor for a while, there's nothing wrong with getting a 2nd/3rd opinion. Your range of motion may be significantly decreased.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

re range of motion - I think I remember being told that C2-3 is responsible for 50%. Jenny would know, though. Even though her fusion is not as extensive, the difference is in the thoracics, which do not contribute to range of motion, anyway.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 AM   #5
    Kisses girl
    (female)

Kisses girl HB User

with the degree of degeneration and the different locations of compressions, my surgion felt it would be a stronger stability to fuse more now than to break it up and have to do rework later.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:53 AM   #6
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

Have you gotten second and third opinions? (I'm not saying C3-T3 is wrong, because I certainly don't know, but I'm sure that, after the operation, you will feel much better knowing that it wasn't just one guy's idea.)

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    Kisses girl (04-16-2012)
    Old 04-20-2012, 08:10 PM   #7
    ariz4me
    (female)

ariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB User

Hi,
    I had posterior surgery from c-3 to T2. The degeneration in my neck was extensive. I did get 3 opinions all agreed I needed the surgery so I felt confident. The key is the skill level of the surgeon. If they've had numerous experiences with this type of surgery, it will make you feel better all around. I, for one, am not an advocate for jumping into surgery but when three docs tell you that you're risking paralysis, you do what you have to do. It's important to get other opinions. Even though all three agreed I needed surgery, they had different opinions on how it should be done. I selected the surgeon who was the most knowledgeable & skillful. Knowing someone for a long time is a good starting point. It's not an insult to them if you pursue it further. Remember, it's you life & your body. Good luck & I wish you well!

The Following User Says Thank You to ariz4me For This Useful Post:
    kenzibenzi (04-22-2012)
    Closed Thread