It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI report HELP!!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-12-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
    mom477
    Veteran
    (female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
    MRI report HELP!!!

Can't copy/paste the report so hopefully I dont totally misspell words or leave any out.

FINDINGS: MR images demonstrate normal alignment with no evidence of cervical subluxation or focal hyperkyphotic angulation. Vertebral body heights are well preserved with no evidence of compression deformity. Facet alignment is normal at all cervical levels. Bone marrow signal characteristics are within range of normal variation for patient age.

The visualized portions of the cervicomedullary junction are unremarkable. The cervical spinal cord is normal except for the presence of a tiny 2x2 mm hydrosyrinx at the C6 level which extends approx 6-7 mm in craniocaudal dimension.

C2-3: Normal

C3-4: Uncovertebral joint hypertrophy results in a slightly prominent posterior osteophytic ridge at the level. Specifically, the posterior osteophytic ridge extends 3mm posteriorly in the central and paracentral regions and 4 mm posterolaterally in the subarticular regions. Thecal sac effacement results in very mild central canal stenosis at this level. No significant neural foraminal encroachment is noted, however.

C4-5: Normal except for mild uncovertebral joint hypertrophy

C5-6: Uncovertebral joint hypertrophy results in a moderate posterior osteophytic ridge which extends 3-4 mm posteriorly. A broad-based disc bulge is noted with evidence of a small focal superimposed left paracentral protusion. The focal disc protusion is associated with localized 4-5 mm posterior disc extension. Mild cental canal stenosis is noted. Mild bilateral neural foraminal encroachment evident.

C6-7: Uncovertebral joint hypertrophy results in a mild posterior osteophytic ridge. A mild 2-3 mm broad-based disc bulge is noted. Very mild central canal stenosis is demonstrated. bilateral neural foraminal encroachment is noted.

Cervical soft tissues are unremarkable for age.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
    mom477
    Veteran
    (female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
    Re: MRI report HELP!!!

IMPRESSION:
    1. Multilevel degenerative cervical spondylosis as detailed above, most significant at the C5-6 level.

2. Tiny cervical cord hydrosyrinx at the C6 vertebral level, best demonstrated on axial sequences. Although no focal cord expansion or intrinsic signal alteration is otherwise demonstrated proximal or distal to this small syrinx, it would nonetheless be recommended that patient return for repeat gadolinium-enhaced sequences to ensure the adsence of a small intramedullary tumor. An addendum will be generated at that time.

OK so what the heck that does mean????^^^^^^^^ Back in 2009 I was told I had a cyst on my spine but nothing was ever done about it. Is this the same thing??? I looked it up and seems kinda scary.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

First, I'd say that report is very nicely written. They should all be that well done, but not many are.

Second, to my slightly-educated-amateur eyes, there's not much at all wrong. Most important is that the central canal narrowing is either "very mild" or "mild". No mention is made of any effect on the spinal cord itself. The foramina are "encroached" upon, but apparently not significantly, so there should be no effect on the peripheral nerves.

He calls the syrinx at C6 "tiny", although 2x2x6 doesn't seem all that tiny to me. However, the largest dimension (the 6mm) is running up and down the spinal canal, while the intrusion into the canal is only 2mm, which is insignificant, assuming that you have healthy canal dimensions, which appears to be the case. The radiologist does suggest looking again at the syrinx just to make sure it's stable and won't grow more, though.

All in all, a pretty nice report. Wish mine were half as good...

(all this coming from an amateur, of course, who hopes you will at least get the MRI evaluated by a neurologist or spine surgeon)

Old 04-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
    mom477
    Veteran
    (female)

I did see a spine surgeon who first said I needed surgery but when the neck brace didnt help the pain he said it wouldnt help but he didnt mention the cyst at all to me which is in the spine itself. I believe it has grown since the last MRI 2 1/2 yrs ago. I plan on getting answers about this.

Thank you for your advice . Very much appreciated.

Closed Thread