It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Results from last weeks MRI.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User
    Results from last weeks MRI.

Comparison to MRI of the cervical spine 08/05/2011
    Findings:
    There is straightening of the normal cervical spine lordosis, similar to the prior exam. No abnormal bone marrow signal is seen. Again seen moderate - severe disc space narrowing and disc desiccation associated with endplate irregularity and relative endplate signal changes C5-6, similar to the prior exam.

C2-3, C3-4 and C4-5 levels are unremarkable without evidence of disc bulge, disc herniation, central canal stenosis or foramina narrowing.

C5-6: The previously described broad-based disc osteophyte complex eccentric to the right at this level has increased in size and is adjacent to the cervical cord which is mildly draped over this abnormality without evidence of severe cord compression or cord edema. There is moderate asymmetric right central canal stenosis at this level with AP dimension of central canal at 7-8mm on the right side.

C6-7: Mild disc bulge without focal protrusion. No central canal stenosis or foramina narrowing.

Impression:
    1. At C5-6 level there is interval increase in the size of the previously described broad-based disc osteophyte complex more to the right than the left compared with the prior study from August 4, 2011. This is causing moderate central spinal canal stenosis with the cervical cord draped over the disc osteophyte complex, but not severely compressed or demonstrating cord edema.

2. Redemonstration of mild diffuse disc bulge at C6-7 without significant change from August 4, 2011.

Neuro is referring me to a orthopedic surgeon. Any idea on what the ortho might suggest as a fix? I have upper arm weakness and burning/tingling in upper shoulder on back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Results from last weeks MRI.

How much upper-arm weakness? Both sides? Biceps or triceps?

Old 04-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #3
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

Bicep, just the right arm.... example, when I lift it to put dishes in the cupboard, I can only put about 5 glasses away before my arm is just tired and weak at my side.

The burning/tingling is in my upper shoulder on the back, left side.

I also have the sleepy prickly feeling in my thumb, index and middle fingers on right hand, but only when laying down in bed. When I get up and move around it goes away.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

What it sounds like to me is a problem with the right C6 nerve (C5-6 level). I must say it sounds like a foraminal encroachment problem (radiculopathy) where the nerve root is being squeezed, but I guess spinal cord pressure could also be the cause.

I don't know what surgery would be suggested other than a simple C5-6 ACDF, removing the C5-6 disk, replacing it with some kind of filler, and fixing the C5 and C6 vertebrae with a titanium "clamp".

If the surgeon reads the MRI differently, and diagnoses radiculopathy as the problem - rather than cord compression - he may go for a less invasive procedure, like a foraminotomy.

Pretty good chance, though, that the surgeon will think it's too early for that.

All this coming, of course, from an interested, but mostly-uneducated amateur.

Last edited by WebDozer; 04-21-2012 at 05:48 PM.

Old 04-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

I always thought that one day they would have to go in and file off the arthritis and let me get on with my day...lol. I was hoping the degeneration part would hold off another 20 years, guessing I was wrong. I was thinking (in my head) for a while now, that a simple epidural would fix me right up for a few more years, but I have been too scared to inquire about it. I dunno, I'm in denial. I like to think of myself as being invincible.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM   #6
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

Can anyone tell me what size the spinal cord is normally and how the 7-8mm in my mri report comes into play?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #7
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

The normal AP diameter of the spinal canal is 14-17 mm. Your spinal canal is down to 7-8 mm. Anything under 10 mm is considered absolute stenosis.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #8
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

Thanks for the quick reply! What does the "AP" mean? Sorry for all the questions. Waiting for the orthopedic surgeons office to call and schedule an appointment. In the mean time, I'm trying to educate myself as much as I can. I don't want to have surgery, but how else would they get the spinal cord off that bone spur? So is mine bad?

Old 04-23-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

AP stands for anteroposterior diameter

I don't know what they will do. They will probably have to go in and shave that bone spur down.

No one wants surgery but sometimes that's the only way to get better. You'll be surprised on how fast time will fly when it's over. The horror stories are not the norm. IMO there are more positive stories-you just don't hear about them because those people don't post their stories. But since my surgery I have run into a couple of people who had the same surgery as me and they are leading normal lives with no pain which is pretty much what I am doing now.

Last edited by Realhousewife; 04-23-2012 at 09:43 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Realhousewife For This Useful Post:
    kenzibenzi (04-24-2012)
    Old 04-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #10
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Find someone who you trust and feel comfortable with. Research them online-there are sites that let patients rate their doctors. If your state has a central database for licensed professionals check your surgeon out to see if they have had any malpractice cases or disciplinary actions from the state medical board. I actually watched videos of the surgery to see exactly what happens. Doing so helped me to know what I was getting into.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-23-2012 at 10:00 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Realhousewife For This Useful Post:
    kenzibenzi (04-24-2012)
    Old 04-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #11
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

I agree that many people get better and move on and that's wonderful! I'm glad you are a success story, that's awesome! I'm just very scared. I've had surgery before, not on my neck. I'm not scared of surgery, I'm scared of the horror stories I've read while trying to educate myself. So yes, trying to think positive is sometimes hard, but I can't stop reading or I would miss happy endings like yours. I kinda freaked out when I learned what the 7-8mm meant. Thanks for all your replies, they really did help me a lot as far as knowledge and making me feel more at ease.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #12
    sandiemas
    (female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

All good advise I would add that you should get at least two opinion an ortho and nuero and soak in what they tell you, educate yourself and then make your decision based on what you are comfortable with. Injections work good I actually got relief from a nerve root burning done after my ACDF. My surgery opened up a whole can of worms for me. My stenosis was stated about the same as yours and when my surgeon free'd up those nerves they went crazy.

Throughout the healing process I went through several stages not all of them so good but end story is the stenosis and scare of paralesis is gone. I dont want to scare you just reality, you need to be comfortable with your surgeon and make sure you get a couple of opinions.

Good luck to you and keep us posted on your outcome with ortho doc and descion to surg or not to surge.lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
    C6-C7 ACDF
    T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
    Disectomy L5/S1
    Anxiety
    PTSD
    Chronic Pain

Old 04-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #13
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

An injection might help with pain, but it can't help the bone spur that is causing the stenosis, can it?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #14
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenzibenzi View Post
    I agree that many people get better and move on and that's wonderful! I'm glad you are a success story, that's awesome! I'm just very scared. I've had surgery before, not on my neck. I'm not scared of surgery, I'm scared of the horror stories I've read while trying to educate myself. So yes, trying to think positive is sometimes hard, but I can't stop reading or I would miss happy endings like yours. I kinda freaked out when I learned what the 7-8mm meant. Thanks for all your replies, they really did help me a lot as far as knowledge and making me feel more at ease.
    I was scared too. It's major surgery after all. That's why you want someone you trust and who is tops in the field. I wouldn't have had anyone else doing my surgery than the NS who did mine. The moment I walked into his office I felt very comfortable and I finally had someone explain to me what was going on. Before the surgery in the pre op I was scared-I don't know if the 2 1/2 hour delay helped me, LOL! But once I woke up and realized the pain was gone I knew it was worth it. It also helped that my NS has such a great bedside manner and made me feel like he really cared about me unlike most doctors I have come across.

If it makes you feel better my AP diameter was smaller than yours on two levels and I had severe compression of the spinal cord. I got a copy of the operative report and he said my case was unusual because at both levels he had to dissect disc fragments off the dura mater-that's the thin film that covers the spinal cord. One slip and I could have been paralyzed. His Assistant told me it was due to the one epidural injection I had-it had formed scar tissue. That goes to show how skillful my surgeon is.

Last edited by Realhousewife; 04-23-2012 at 10:27 PM.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #15
    sandiemas
    (female)

sandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB Usersandiemas HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kenzibenzi View Post
    An injection might help with pain, but it can't help the bone spur that is causing the stenosis, can it?
    No, it helps with pain that allows you range of motion and some quality of life while you are visiting doctors and determining if surgery is best for you and mentally preparing yourself for post op. I am not a doctor and only going off my own experience but you can think clearer and take your time interviewing doctors, getting your ducks in a row, for lack of a better analogy, if you are not in debilitating pain. Just my two cents. I hate to hear of anyone going through this from personal experience living with back pain is miserable and you dont realize how much it impacts you life until you get that one day of relief, that one day you can act "normal".

Just saying it might make you comfortable while you sort things out, interview, and educate yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

C5-C6 tear/buldge
    C6-C7 ACDF
    T1 - T5 neuroforaminal, lesions, facet arthropathy
    Disectomy L5/S1
    Anxiety
    PTSD
    Chronic Pain

The Following User Says Thank You to sandiemas For This Useful Post:
    kenzibenzi (04-24-2012)
    Closed Thread