It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI results interpretation

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #1
    missgnomer
    (female)

missgnomer HB User
    MRI results interpretation

I was injured as a passenger on a streetcar that was T-bone by another streetcar. I was sitting in a single seat leaning with all my weight on the far left side against the side of the streetcar and the point of impact was exactly where I was sitting. I have been on constant pain since. The symptoms usually include raw burning pain left shoulder/arm/wrist/hand, top of left shoulder, burning pain up back of head and out eye or sinus, raw gripping clenching up left side of face, under jaw, across to my left cheek and lips, numbness tingling down left arm to index finger/thumb. The symptoms are aggravated by sitting in an upright position and especially sitting behind a desk working on a computer.

MRI results:a few nonspecific foci of T2 hyperintensity seen in the supratentorial white matter involving the frontal lobes. The largest focus measures 7mm within the right basal frontal lobe, the other foci are much smaller. No periventricular, brainstem or cerebellar foci seen. also: Vertebrae are normal in height and alignment. Disc desiccation is noted at a few levels with disc height loss at C5-C6. The cervicomedullary junctioin and the visualized cord reveals normal size and signal. No T2 hyperintense foci seen to suggest demyelination. Note is made of a disc bulge at C5-C, which minimally indents the anterior surface of the cord. There is moderate left foraminal narrowing mild right. the disc appears to contact the exiting left sided nerve root in the proximal foramen. Interpretation: 1. The brain reveals several foci of T2 hyperintensity in the frontal white matter, which are nonspecific. These are most likely explained by microangiopathic changes, though the possibility of demyelination or vasculitis cannot be ruled out radiologically. 2. No hyperintensity noted within the cord to support dymelination. There is a disc bulge at C5-C6 which minimally indents the anterior surface of the cord and causes moderate left formaminal narrowing.

I am seeing a Neurologist (ordered by LTD carrier in order to disqualify me from LTD benefits) on Monday and am hoping to be informed beforehand.

Can someone explain what the MRI results mean?
    Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: MRI results interpretation

The "moderate left foraminal narrowing" is a candidate for the cause of your left shoulder/arm symptoms, as the nerve (C6) leaving the cord at that level is being squeezed. The radiologist rates it as "moderate" (like a 3 out of 4, as the next level is "severe") but the next set of professional eyes may think it's worse than that. That the cord is indented may be important, even though the radiologist thinks it's "minimal". After all, a dent is a dent, and the spinal cord is not a bundle of copper wire.

I don't see how the C5-6 problems could affect you higher up. A C1-2 (C2 nerve) problem COULD affect you at some of the places you list. The radiologist says nothing about that level, though. Certainly something you want the neurologist to specifically look at, but I'm sure he will know that.

The trouble with trauma - as opposed to gradual spinal deterioration, which most of us suffer from - is that it can also involve severe muscle strain, which can be difficult to recover from, and also difficult to diagnose.

I don't want to comment more, because doing so would definitely put me in over my head. I hope the neurologist can straighten this out.

(I like your handle. If you need explanation of particular terms - other than T2 - I can try.)

Last edited by WebDozer; 04-21-2012 at 08:11 PM.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #3
    missgnomer
    (female)

missgnomer HB User

Thank you WebDozer.

The first MRI I had from a year ago stated that I had a large C5-C6 herniated disc sitting on the nerve root.

I am assuming that this second MRI illustrates a worstening condition.

Regardless, I just want relief - like most on this forum - and struggling with capricious and arbitrary insurance companies only makes it difficult and increases the stress.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I wouldn't say that your current report is worse than a "large herniated disk sitting on the nerve root". In fact, it doesn't even sound that bad, and it is possible for disks to move back into place a little. Your shoulder/arm symptoms might tell the story, though.

I wonder if you really want to see the same neurologist that the insurance company sends you to (or even the same radiologist, for that matter). If I were you, I would consider second opinions...

Closed Thread