It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Broken Titanium Screws

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #1
    triciajw
    (female)

triciajw HB User
    Angry Broken Titanium Screws

Hello everyone, I just had a surgical fusion done on March 1, 2012, my doctor fused from C2-C7. I went back for my post op in March and everything was fine. I just went back again for a follow-up on April 25 and when they took x-rays they found that the bottom 2 screws were broken. Now my doctor has scheduled another surgery to repair them on May 14. I also have a big surgery coming up on June 12 to fuse from my T2 vertebrae to my pelvis.

I'm going to request the screws that they remove from my neck because I want to have this investigated, there is no reason for titanium screws to still be breaking after all these years, something is wrong in my opinion.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
    NJ Ldy
    (female)

NJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB User
    Re: Broken Titanium Screws

I've read about titanium screws breaking, I don't know how common it is, but it does happen.

My husband had titanium screws, that were put in his foot, break, and he had to have surgery to remove the screws and, basically, redo the surgery.

You need to find the manufacturer and do some research to see if this is a problem with their screws. I don't know if you will find anything, but if they knew there were issues with their screws and allow physicians to continue using them, that's not a good thing.

Last edited by NJ Ldy; 05-03-2012 at 02:04 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    cervical fusions, titanium