It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Left side of face numbness

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-04-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
    beachlovr
    (female)

beachlovr HB User
    Left side of face numbness

I have been suffering from tingling and then numbness to the left side of my face. I have been to the ER and had a CT scan that came back fine. I've also had bloodwork done that came back fine. It is really getting frustrating. It is the left half of my tongue, cheek, gums, lips, throat, temple, eye, scalp, and chin. It is not Bells Palsy. No one can tell that I have this numbness as it is not muscle related. I saw my dentist and it is not tooth related. I have also seen 3 chiropractors. Everyone keeps telling me that it "should" go away eventually. I now have a call in to a neurologist and am waiting to set up an appointment with him. The numbness in my throat is the most annoying. Anyone have any other suggestions for what to do? Anyone else ever suffered from these symptoms in the face before? Did they go away eventually?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #2
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
    Re: Left side of face numbness

Hello!
    I can relate to your problem, I have same symptoms on my right side of the face + chin and around my lips. Hard to swallow' b/c of numbness in throat area feels like something stock in there, right?
    So many tests were done, but only my dentist offered a good explanation and when I told this info to my spinal ortho, he said it makes sense.
    He said due to RA and OA I have TMJ problem, which I know. So this TMJ issues causing the symptoms. He made for me a night guard which I use when I go to bed, this definitely helps TMJ issues, but not much the numbing and tingling. Some days more than others.
    My Neurologist, very well known Dr in NY told me once something so simple but so powerful: "Doctors do not know more than they do know. If we would have all answers - it would be miracle, but we don't do miracles for sure". Another words: learn how to live with it.

So I did learn how to live with it for 15 years now....

All the best to you
    Moldova

Old 05-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #3
    beachlovr
    (female)

beachlovr HB User

I am so sorry for you. I am praying that mine goes away so now will pray that yours does too. I cannot imagine living with this permanently. It does feel like something is in my throat and it is a terrible feeling. How old were you when yours came on? What is RA and OA? Have you ever seen a chiropractor?

Old 05-06-2012, 01:32 PM   #4
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

You one lucky person! lol
    OA is osteoarthritis, and RA is Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Thank you for your prayers, we all can use some here, aren't we? I wish your symptoms temp and you will feel better. All depends where your problem is coming from. But so many theories and not one 100% confirmed diagnoses.
    Personally, I think that neck issues I have at C-levels may contribute to these symptoms. I think this only b/c when neck problems flair, tingling, numbness gets worse. I saw ENT many times complaining about this "lamp" in my throat, but it's no lumps there (thank God), but the symptoms you are talking about make this feel as something in there.
    I developed these symptoms about 15 years ago and they never left me. I was 38.

This is good that you went to see doctors, because you never know...

Hope for the best for you
    Moldova

Old 05-06-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Hi Beachlovr and welcome to our little corner of the board.

You really need to see a neurologist. Where you have numbness involves several facial nerves...not just one nerve as in Bell's Palsy or even trigeminal neuraglia. I doubt your neck would be involved with this many problems. Most of the areas you've described are controlled by the cranial nerves of which there are 12. They come from the brain and out under the brain to the face and neck.

For example, the numbness in your throat can be nerve #10 or 11. The tongue is controlled by several of the nerves. But the scalp is controlled by the nerve that exits between C2 and 3 in the neck...or at least part of the feeling comes from there.

You need a doc who knows all of those cranial nerves that can figure out which ones are involved and try to tell you what is going on. It could be anything from a virus to who knows what....and I know it's who knows what that scares you. I had the left side of my face become hot as a fireplace poker...sent my BP into stroke territory. And no one knew why but it slowly went away. I literally wore ice packs on my face for days on top of strong pain meds. The left side is still ever so slightly number than the right. And no ones what or why. So it may just resolve itself over time.

But I'd see that neurologist and try to start finding answers in case it doesn't.

hugs...........Jenny

Closed Thread