It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• acdf 567 recovery, depression, anxiety expections from family 7 weeks Post Op

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
    emzz
    (female)

emzz HB User
    acdf 567 recovery, depression, anxiety expections from family 7 weeks Post Op

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am happy to say my procedure was a success, I return for a follow up 5/27.
    I still am having neck, back and shoulder pain, but the original pain is GONE!
    I am having alot of problems with my family and friends thinking I am "cured" now that the surgery has been completed. I still have alot of discomfort and pain, and the expections of them is very stressfull, I can litterally feel the trobbing as the tension increases. Fortunately I do not live with them, but very challenging as my incision is virtually invisiable, and there are no pains they can see. Just because someone looks good does not mean they are not suffering. Any ideas on how to reduce this? Has anyone else delt with this? It is now to point where I am also depressed as their expections of me are very unreal and physically painful, they feel now that the surgery is done and I look well that everything is fine. My surgeon was amazing, I also started PT on Weds. 2x a week. I am very pleased with my progress, but do get extremely fatigued by 1pm, I wake up around 7am.
    I hope I hear something about someone that has also experienced this.
    Thank you! emzz

The following user gives a hug of support to emzz:
    kenzibenzi (05-08-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2012, 07:04 AM   #2
    NJ Ldy
    (female)

NJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB User
    Re: acdf 567 recovery, depression, anxiety expections from family 7 weeks Post Op

Hi Emzz--your family couldn't be further from the truth. This surgery does not "cure" or "heal" you, all it does is stop the progression of the problem. For me, by the time I had my first surgery--C4-5, C5-6, & C6-7--I had ended up with permanent spinal cord damage. I'll never be without some type of pain or discomfort. It also takes a full year for your spine to fully heal from this type of surgery, I"m not surprised you still have discomfort in your shoulder, neck and back pain, that takes time to alleviate. Yes, you are progressing, as you should, but you are not fully healed. It takes time for all the inflammation to go down, for your nerves to start working properly. Your family needs to lay off, they are going to cause you to go backward in your healing, the last thing you need is stress, your body is still in healing mode. This is a very very tough surgery, and it takes a lot out of you. You're right, just because you look good on the outside doesn't mean the inside is all healed. It took me time to get my strength back and to be on my feet again. Also, for my condition, I was told that because the surgeon fused those three areas and they are now strong, the discs above and below can become unstable; sure enough 2 years later I was in the OR having C2-3 fused, and two years later--this past January--I had C7-T1 fused. This doesn't happen to everyone, I'm just trying to show you how you really don't know what is going on inside of you, just because you "look" good on the outside. I hope you can somehow convince your family that you are still healing and far from "cured". Just know you are not alone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJ Ldy For This Useful Post:
    emzz (05-07-2012),kenzibenzi (05-08-2012)
    Old 05-07-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
    VinG
    (male)

VinG HB UserVinG HB UserVinG HB UserVinG HB User
    Re: acdf 567 recovery, depression, anxiety expections from family 7 weeks Post Op

I think you need to surround yourself with people who will be supportive. Some of your pain is probably from muscle spasms as your neck, shoulders, and arms get used to your new neck. Any added stress is probably going to cause more pain as your muscles tighten up. As they said in a Seinfeld episode..."serenity now".

- Vin

The following user gives a hug of support to VinG:
    emzz (06-01-2012)
    The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VinG For This Useful Post:
    emzz (05-07-2012),kenzibenzi (05-08-2012),NJ Ldy (05-07-2012)
    Old 05-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

I agree with Vin.... surround yourself with love and support if that is possible.

I can feel your happiness about the progress you have made. The people around you should be celebrating in your progress with you, not against you. Some people simply can not accept that there is pain unless they can actually SEE the problem, that is very unfortunate.

I do wish you the best and hope you continue to improve. It does sound like you're doing great, but like NJldy said "It also takes a full year for your spine to fully heal from this type of surgery."

Maybe you can tell your family "I'm sorry I can't live up to your expectations of how you think I should be doing physically, but I won't apologize for following my surgeons recovery orders. I will do whatever it takes, for however long it takes, to ensure a good outcome, so I don't have to go through this again. I can't make you support me, but I wish you would, because it would certainly help me through my recovery."

Keep us posted on your progress. I'm dealing with non-supportive family members too and I've not even had surgery. I'm thinking of posting a thread about it, but I dunno.

Stay strong! ~Hugs, Kenzi!

The following user gives a hug of support to kenzibenzi:
    emzz (06-01-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to kenzibenzi For This Useful Post:
    emzz (05-09-2012)
    Old 05-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #5
    emzz
    (female)

emzz HB User

thank you kenzi, I am trying.........seems the dealing with them is more difficult and an obsticle to my healing.......they already want me to go out to dinner, graduations, i just cant do it! I can do a few hours but than the pain kcks in and stress of not satifing their requests of just .........being normal.......LOL

Closed Thread

Tags
    acdf surgery, post acdf