It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Need help with MRI results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
    teescr16
    (female)

teescr16 HB User
    Need help with MRI results

I have an appointment with my neurosurgeon next week but I was trying to decipher what my most recent MRI results mean. I had a C5-C6 fusion done in 12/2006 from a car accident (was t-boned).

I recently starting having numbness in toe on left foot and what I referred to as sudden shock sensations (sometimes followed by tingling) down my neck, arms and sometimes back and legs.

MRI says:

Ventral endplate spurs are present at C2-C3 through C4-C5 and also at C6-C&. Disc desiccation is identified at C2-C3 through C6-C7. Disc space narrowing is present at C4-C5. C1, C2, C2-C3 appear norma ...

At C3-C4, a mild posterior central disc protrusion narrows the ventral subarachnoid space and flattens cervical spinal cord. No cord edema or hemorrhage is evident. There is mild narrowing of the central canal. Left neural foramen is slightly narrowed.

At C4-C5 small posterior disc protrusion narrow ventral subarachnoid space. No cord flattening is seen. Neural foramina are normal.

At C6-C7 a very small broad posterior central disc protrusion narrows subarachnoid space. NO cord impingement or canal stenosis is noted ...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
    Re: Need help with MRI results

Hi Teescr...isn't it a pain when you've already had 1 neck surgery and then things start to go wrong again! Unfortunately, it's pretty common.

Basically, what your MRI says is that you have arthritic bone spurs along the edges of the back of the vertebrae and that your disks have begun to dry up and shrink back in size, which makes the bones hit in the wrong places. In your case, it has made the joint space visibly narrow at C4-5, just above your fusion.

At C3-4, they found a mild disk bulge that is touching your spinal cord, flattening the front side pf the cord. But your cord shows no signs of injury or deterioration due to this. It also slightly blocks the the hole on the left side where the spinal nerve exits to the body.

At C4-5, you have another disk bulge that is protruding into the area in front of the cord but not touching it. The exits for the spinal nerves are okay.

At C6-7, you have another bulging disk that has entered the spinal canal but it not touching or blocking anything.

As bad as this sounds, it's not bad at all. They don't give measurements but your spinal cord can take a good deal of compression before it needs to be fixed. So the big question for your doctor is going to be...how wide is my cord at the compression site?

The average cord is about 11-12mms wide, I had multiple levels of cord compression down to 5-6mms and had one neurosurgeon tell me that I could wait until it hit 4mms. I decided to go ahead with surgery with another who did not like to see a cord below 6mms. Many will operate when you are down to 7-8mms.

So you need to ask how many millimeters you are.

All my toes were numb and I had leg muscles so stiff that by the end of the day, I could only take baby steps. I had to walk with my feet wider apart than normal as my balance was affected. And both my arms were weak and I dropped a lot of stuff. I was past the point of having pain and was going numb from the neck down.

I hope this helps you.

hugs.............Jenny(fused C3 to T1)

Old 05-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #3
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

That's a relatively benign MRI, near as I can tell. Of course, it's possible that a toe problem could be lumbar in origin, rather than cervical.

I wonder about those "ventral endplate" changes. "Ventral" means "stomach side", iow, "front". If he's talking about the vertebral endplates, wouldn't "ventral" then mean the FRONT of the spine, and thus not anything that would affect the cord or the nerve roots?

Of course, when he refers to the "ventral subarachnoid space", he's referring to the front of the spinal canal, so that is something to be concerned about...

Old 05-19-2012, 09:59 PM   #4
    Billkc
    (male)

Billkc HB User

Jenny can you help me with my mri report? I've already had surgery (fusion) but was wondering if you could explain my report and tell if it was serious and why I might be having other issues post op. MRI 02/11 and surgery 03/11.
    At C5-C6 there is a 4mm posterior extrusion of disc material which expands 4mm inferiorly behind the C6 vertebral body. It causes severe spinal stenosis. The spinal cord is markedly narrowed with T2 bright signal occupying 2/3's of the spinal cord diameter at this level and suggesting myelomalacia. No hemorrhage identified. There is also moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis.
    At C6-C7 there is a 3mm posterior disc protrusion centrally causing mild spinal stenosis and minimal cord flattening.
    There is minimal degenerative changes at the other cervical levels.
    Impression:
    1. Disc extrusion at C5-C6 causing severe spinal stenosis and cord flattening with myelomalacia and moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis.
    2. Disc bulging at C6-C7 causing mild spinal stenosis and cord flattening.
    Pre-surgery symptoms:
    Left arm/hand pain and numbness which moved to the right arm and hand.
    slight neck pain
    left leg numbness/pain, left foot numbness and pain
    hard to walk
    high reflexes, dropped things, bad balance
    Post-surgery NEW symptoms after 6 months from surgery date to current...
    Increased neck pain and soreness
    severe hand soreness both right and left. hard to make fist..very weak
    left leg/foot numbness/pain increased
    extreme sharp shooting pain in the left tricep area, makes you catch your breath
    headaches, fatigue in legs
    I'm 44 years old. I've had 2 lower back surgeries in 05,07...
    I'm in pain and discomfort to a very high level. I was hoping I could get a better understanding of my report, my condition, and any thoughts of my new symptoms a year now after my fusion surgery. Thanks for any help and any doctor reccommendations in the kansas city area,
    Bill

Closed Thread