It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• cervical myelomalacia help

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-18-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
    Billkc
    (male)

Billkc HB User
    cervical myelomalacia help

I had a cervical fusion on my c5/6 14 months ago. For the past 6 months my condition has worsened. I also had 2 lower back surgeries in 05,07 on my L4/5. I have the following symptoms going on........
    Neck pain, left arm pain above the elbow, both hand hurt/hard to make a fist/swollenfeeling/tired, left foot week/gait.

My lower back hurts, very stiff. My left leg and foot are week and numb but I do have pain down legs into both feet.
    When cold temps I tense up and I can't get my left leg and foot to walk forward without walking in baby steps and thinking very hard.

I'm on meds for the pain and discomfort of the numbness too.

I'm 44, a retail manager working 12-14 hours, 6 days a week on concrete. I;m getting worse by the week.
    Not sure if I have more neck issues or just what goes with having myelomalacia? I also had a bad c-7 but the surgeon didnot want to mess with that level when doing the fusion.
    Anyone have any advice or comments? I live in Kansas City. Any Doctor suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Bill

The following user gives a hug of support to Billkc:
    SweetPeainSF (05-19-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
    NJ Ldy
    (female)

NJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB User
    Re: cervical myelomalacia help

Hi Bill,

Have you had a recent MRI? You may need to see a good neurosurgeon, preferably at a teaching hospital--University Hospital--if you don't have a recent MRI, you are going to need one to see what's going on. I also have myelomalacia and am fused from C2-T1, had 3 separate surgeries. I still have issues with pain and muscle spasms in my left shoulder blade, but the numbness and tingling have subsided somewhat, and the main thing was to stop further damage from being done to my spinal cord. I believe some of us never truly are relieved of all of our symptoms, just have the surgery to prevent further damage. I also feel like when I walk, my legs are trying to move through cement, I was told that was from the cervical spine and the permanent damage that was done to mine. Unless, you have recent tests, it's hard to figure out what is going on with you. I wish you the best of luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to NJ Ldy:
    Billkc (05-22-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to NJ Ldy For This Useful Post:
    Billkc (05-22-2012)
    Old 05-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #3
    Billkc
    (male)

Billkc HB User

Thanks for the thoughts and advice. I'm sorry to hear about your condition. I had an MRI 02/11/11. It said disc extrusion at C5-C6 causing severe spinal stenosis and cord flattening with myelomalacia and moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis. Disc bulging at c6-c7 causing mild spinal stenosis and cord flattening.
    I then had a fusion on the c5-c6 in march of 2011. The surgery went well but of course the symptoms didn't go away just stopped them from getting worse.
    The last 6 months or so my hands are killing me, my neck is killing me. I know I need to go see someone. I'm hoping my other level that he didn't fix hasn't made a turn for the worse.
    It's really hard to live with the pain and discomfort. Have you had any luck with meds?
    I've been on meds for 7 years now. They don't seem to help much. I have a pretty demanding job.
    How are you doing on a daily basis?
    Bill

kenzibenzi (05-20-2012)
    Old 05-20-2012, 12:27 PM   #4
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

Bill,
    Sorry to hear about your recent troubles. So you only had 6 good months after your surgery?, and I imagine some of that time was spent recovering from your surgery. Wow, makes me even more nervous about my situation. I have not had any surgery yet. I see a spine surgeon on Wednesday about my spine (cord compression, bone spur, ddd...etc.) My fear is that if I have my problem fixed that the upper and lower discs will go bad. I guess we never know how these things will turn out.

I'm no expert, but I would definitely make an appointment with someone and get a new MRI and see what the heck is going on. I wish you well! Keep us posted on what you find out. You can Google (images) of nerves and see charts of what disc affects which part of your body. Do a Google search in images and see if the work you already had done matches up with the pain you're having now or if it's in a different level of your spine. At least then you might know if it's a new problem or the old one.

I do hope you begin to feel better, and yes, keep us posted!

~Hugs, Kenzi.

The following user gives a hug of support to kenzibenzi:
    Billkc (05-21-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to kenzibenzi For This Useful Post:
    Billkc (05-21-2012)
    Old 05-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Bill... I think you need to see a new doctor. I'm not saying your old one did anything wrong, but you need a new set of eyes and someone who's willing to approach the situation without being defensive about past actions.

All things considered, you need a new MRI, too.

And get to that doctor without delay.

I would note that a 4mm disk protrusion should probably not have caused "severe" spinal stenosis and "marked" cord narrowing. Seems like a little too much, and makes me suspect that your spinal canal is too narrow to start out with (hereditary spinal canal stenosis). Since it's too narrow, anything intruding into that space is more likely to affect the cord than if the canal were a normal width.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    Billkc (05-21-2012)
    Old 05-20-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
    Billkc
    (male)

Billkc HB User

My surgeon said that it was even worse than they thought after they went in to do the surgery. He said something like there was spuirs or something starting to wrap or it was coming around from the back....or something. It took 3 post op visits of my surgeon telling me that I wasn't going to improve, it just wasn't going to get worse.
    Do you know of any or heard of any good docs in the Kansas City area?
    Could you tell me or explain to me my mri report? Like right now I'm in so much discomfort. I don't wanna complain. I think I have a very high pain tolerence but I'm starting to wear down. I really thank you for your response and I appreciate the others that have as well. It's nice to have some support, and some one to listen that understands. My wife says to go see the doc cos if I wait and I'm in a wheel chair, I'll have to wipe my own butt.....joking....but that's the kind of home support I have. More of a worried burden type of thing from my wife....kinda of subject, sorry.
    anyways thanks again
    Bill

Old 05-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

Bill,
    You can type your mri report on here and someone can help you understand it. Just the impression and findings, you don't have to put any personal info on here.

Last edited by kenzibenzi; 05-20-2012 at 08:22 PM.

Billkc (05-21-2012)
    Billkc (05-21-2012)
    Old 05-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
    Billkc
    (male)

Billkc HB User

I have posted it once already, but I'll do it again. Sure can use the experts out there. I think WebDozer has looked at it.
    At C5-C6 there is a 4mm posterior extrusion of disc material which extends 4mm inferiorly behind the C6 vertebral body. It causes severe spinal stenosis. The spinal cord markedly narrowed with T2 bright signal occupying about 2/3's of the spinal cord diameter at this level and suggesting myelomalacia. No hemorrhage identified. There is also moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis.
    At C6-C7 there is 3mm posterior disc protrusion centrally causing mild spinal stenosis and minimal cord flattening.
    There is minimal degenerative change at the other cervical levels.
    Impression:
    1. Disc extrusion at C5-C6 causing severe spinal stenosis and cord flattening with myelomalacia and moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis.
    2. Disc dulging at C6-C7 causing mild spinal stenosis and cord flattening.
    I would like specific but plain understanding of this report.
    I had a fusion as a result of this but I wanted some real understanding of my condition.
    Thank you everyone so so much, I really mean it.
    Bill

Old 05-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #9
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

Sorry I didn't see it posted before, that's why I asked. C5-6 can cause problems with your arms and hands and you had surgery on C5-6. Someone (I forget who) on this board once told me that once you have surgery and the nerves are freed up, they sometimes go a little crazy with feelings, since they have been pinched for so long, maybe that is what's happening with you. The foraminal stenosis means pinched nerves and you had it at C5-6. I sure hope it's not a new problem for you. I'm sorry I don't know a whole lot about this stuff, but there are some very informative people on here that do. Keep waiting, and someone will come along with the right answers for you.

Billkc (05-21-2012)
    Billkc (05-21-2012)
    Old 05-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #10
    Billkc
    (male)

Billkc HB User

Thanks so much for your help. Good luck on Wednesday. Keep me posted on what is going on with you. I know this has been great therapy for me. I wish I knew of this site before all my surgeries.
    I'll be praying for good news for you on Wednesday.
    Bill

kenzibenzi (05-21-2012)
    The Following User Says Thank You to Billkc For This Useful Post:
    kenzibenzi (05-21-2012)
    Old 05-20-2012, 09:26 PM   #11
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

Awww thanks so much, Bill! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't scared. "I'm scared!" The closer I get to the appointment, the more I'm trying to rationalize my symptoms. Honestly, it's not the surgery that scares me the most, it's the recovery. I don't have a support system at home. What I have is a lot of people that "I" do things for, rarely does anyone do anything for me. I'm really scared I will go hungry if I need to depend on someone to care for me. On the other hand, a day or two in the hospital would feel like a freaking vacation for me...lol. But yeah, thanks so much for wishing me well. I'll post on Wednesday evening. Keeping my fingers crossed!

And I do hope you get some answers and start to feeling better. Forgive me if I ask the same questions more than once, my memory doesn't always say "hey, you already know that answer!" anyways, are you on a nerve medication like neurontin or anything like that?

Billkc (05-21-2012)
    Billkc (05-21-2012)
    Old 05-20-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
    Billkc
    (male)

Billkc HB User

I had symptoms for 6-9 months before I went in. Waited too long but I was stubborn. When the symptoms moved to both sides of my body I knew I was in trouble. My surgery was less than a month after my mri. I actually was going in for more back pain issues than my neck. My neck wasn't hurting much at all. They did an mri of the back and one of the neck and found the myelomalacia.
    My recovery wasn't bad. I've had 2 back surgeries before the neck fusion. And like you I didn't and still don't have much support at home. I'm a people pleaser and people usually take advantage of that.
    I hope you have some help. I really had very little. My back surgeries were killer for recovery....and especially doing it mostly alone.
    I'm thinking about you......fingers crossed.
    I'm taking morphine and oxy for pain and a muscle relaxer for the night time to help me sleep.
    What are you on?
    Bill

Old 05-20-2012, 09:53 PM   #13
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

Medication is a joke in my life. My pcp said (last august) "we don't give out pain meds, but your neck is a mess!". She sent me to a neurologist, who said "we don't give out pain meds, but your neck is a mess!" He sent me to a spine surgeon, that's the appt I have on Wednesday. I called the spine surgeons office and asked for pain meds, was told they can't give me anything since they haven't even seen me.

I got a new pcp that I saw this past monday, who gave me 6 tylenol #3 a day UNTIL I see the spine surgeon. Said she didn't want to give me vicodin because it is addictive. I just roll my eyes at the entire medical profession and take the 6 tylenol #3 a day and am thankful for it...lol.

I'm sorry you don't get much support at home. I totally feel for ya in that department! As along as we have a pulse, we're good to go! lol.

Billkc (05-21-2012)
    Billkc (05-21-2012)
    Old 05-20-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
    Billkc
    (male)

Billkc HB User

I've been on meds since 04. Have to mix them up and change them, but they don't help for long. They have gotten very strict on giving out meds.
    They definately change your moods in a mental, physical, and sexual way for sure.
    How did you find your latest doc? I need to search for a new one but don't know where to start.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:35 PM   #15
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

I looked online for dr's in my area, then I just called around until I found one that was accepting new patients and made an appointment. Most dr's have reviews about them online, so if ya find one that you might be interested in seeing, you can Google their name and read reviews about them. You do have to keep an open mind though when reading, because just because one person doesn't like a certain dr, doesn't mean that you won't. But yeah, I would try and find one so you can get started on finding out what's going on with your new pain, and for sure push for a new mri. Hopefully all the pain you're feeling is just the nerves trying to regrow/rebuild themselves and you won't be facing any new challenges. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

I need sleep now. Good luck in your search for a new dr and I do hope you feel better! Keep us posted on your progress.

G'nite, Kenzi!

Last edited by kenzibenzi; 05-20-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Billkc (05-21-2012)
    Billkc (05-21-2012)
    Closed Thread