It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Cervicogenic headaches?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-23-2012, 07:13 PM   #1
    Sunnyblu
    (female)

Sunnyblu HB User
    Unhappy Cervicogenic headaches?

Hi, I have chiari malformation along with bulging discs at c5/c6 and c6/c7, Disc osteophytes, mild multi level neural foraminal narrowing, facet arthropathy and joint hypertrophy on all cervical levels except at c2/c3. I have been suffering with neck pain, radiating pain down the left arm, some tingling in the fingers and pain at the base of my neck and shoulder blade. I have been going to the pain clinic and will be getting my last epidural steriod injection in this series on Friday. I currently take flexeril for spasms and hydrocodone for pain. However, recently I have been getting terrible headaches which start in the back of my head and radiate to my forehead with the pain settling in my forehead. I also have a full sensation in my head when I stand up which causes my hearing to be muffled and my head feels like it will explode. I have done some online research and I found info on cervicogenic headaches. I am wondering if anyone suffers from these or are familiar with the symptoms I have described...if so, what helps you with the pain. So far nothing works except to take the edge off. I plan on discussing this with the pain clinic doc but thought I would ask here also. Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to Sunnyblu:
    Brandi893 (05-24-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
    Brandi893
    (female)

Brandi893 HB User
    Re: Cervicogenic headaches?

i have never experienced this yet. I'm so sorry that u are going through so much pain, i can understand all the other things u have said. I hope they can find some relief for you at that pain clinic. update us when u see ur dr. about these h/a to let us know if they find something to help you, in the mean time, i can only send a virtual hug and keep u in my thoughts and prayers

Old 05-23-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
    Sunnyblu
    (female)

Sunnyblu HB User

Thanks Brandi! I will update when I have more info...I appreciate the support!

Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

The only thing that worked for me was surgery. Cervical spine problems can cause cerviogenic headaches.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
    NJ Ldy
    (female)

NJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB UserNJ Ldy HB User

Yes yes yes, I suffered from them terribly; they felt like the worse migraine ever!!!! They would start at the base of my skull and move up the back of my head across the top and stop at my eye. It was all on the left side of my head never ever had the headache on the right. The only thing that stopped those headaches was having surgery. Once I had the surgery, the headaches went away....it was amazing!

I wish you the best of luck.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
    HelloKitty2003
    (female)

HelloKitty2003 HB User

I had them when my symptoms first started. Actually, I had one headache that lasted for a month I swear! Mine went away after I took a Medrol dose pack. I guess the steroid lowered the inflammation in my neck enough to help. I had an unbelievable amount of tension in my neck and it made me have the headaches and also grind my teeth. I also started muscle relaxers at the same time, but noticed you are already on those. I didn't get an epidural steroid injection until after this headache went away, so I don't know if it would have worked the same. I know how awful they are! I even had sensitivity to sounds and could not stand to be around my own family. I covered it up as much as I could, but I felt like I was going to lose it. I used ear plugs to help with that. I hope yours goes away soon and that something I said helps!

Closed Thread