It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• c5/c6 c6/c7 surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
    jostep926
    (male)

jostep926 HB User
    c5/c6 c6/c7 surgery

first off i want to thank everyone for reading this. i have wreslted my whole life since second grade, i am now a senior in college, and during my jr year of college i noticed my neck was giving me unreal amounts of pain and weakness. long story short i got a mri. the mri showed bone spurs in my neck, arthritis, degenerative disk disease, and herniated at levels c5/c6 c6/c7. i tried therapy, epidurals, medicine, etc. nothing worked. so i went to the doctor again the other day and they said they are doing either a double fusion of those areas, or a fusion and a fake disk put in my neck. i was also told there will be metal plates and screws in my neck. this surgery is on june 20 2012. i am very stressed out and nervous for it. i honestly do not know what to expect, i looked and found some things out but im still uneasy about all of this. 21 years old getting neck surgery, this should be fun, ha! anyways thanks in advance everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: c5/c6 c6/c7 surgery

That's really remarkable (and not in a good way) that all this has happened to you so young. Things like bone spurs need time to develop. So does ddd (not really a disease, but more of a standard aspect of aging).

Have your doctors attempted an explanation? I would guess that trauma from wrestling might play a role, but perhaps there's something in your workouts that you've been doing for years that stresses your neck?

If there's any good news here, it's that a 21-year-old should recover much more quickly and completely than the usual surgery patient.

Last edited by WebDozer; 06-04-2012 at 10:04 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    jostep926 (06-06-2012)
    Old 06-05-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
    jostep926
    (male)

jostep926 HB User
    Unhappy Re: c5/c6 c6/c7 surgery

they have explained some - gave me some stuff to look over and what not. he also stated he did not want to do surgery on a 21 year old but all else has failed so he thinks its time for it to be done. also the reason behind he thinks is that i may have some of my moms bad neck genetics (3 neck surgerys for her in past 4 years) but the majority of it being wrestling and the fact of having someone beat on my head and neck area for 14 years of my life. im a little concerned about the recovery and how it all will go. 7 weeks after my surgery i am also scheduled to go back to school in the fall which is also a concern

Old 06-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
    VinG
    (male)

VinG HB UserVinG HB UserVinG HB UserVinG HB User

I just had c 3/4 and c 5/6/7 (3 levels) 3 weeks ago. It really hasn't been that bad for me and I'm 48 y.o., overweight, and have used a wheelchair my whole life. To Webdozer's point, if I can do ok, a 21 y.o. in good shape should do great. This is basically what Peyton Manning had, and he will be chased by 350 pound linemen in a few months.

The hardest part for me has been throat issues since they moved everything out of the way to get to the spine, and since i have a "thick" neck there has been some swelling.

These message boards can be great and very informative, but too much of it can scare you. Many of the ones who post are those who have had difficulties. The majority of successes move on with their lives and don't post any more.

Keep us posted.

- Vin

- Vin

Last edited by VinG; 06-05-2012 at 09:46 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to VinG For This Useful Post:
    jostep926 (06-06-2012)
    Old 06-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

jostep926:
    Good luck with your upcoming surgery! I'm sure you'll do great and you have youth on your side. I've never had surgery on my neck and don't want it. I'm in the conservative treatment stage right now. Keep us posted on how you do. Good Luck!

Kenzi!

Hi VIN! Glad you're doing well!

The Following User Says Thank You to kenzibenzi For This Useful Post:
    jostep926 (06-06-2012)
    Old 06-05-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

I had a 2 level acdf earlier this year and I'm 50. As long as you follow your surgeons post op instructions you'll be fine.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Realhousewife For This Useful Post:
    jostep926 (06-06-2012)
    Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #7
    jostep926
    (male)

jostep926 HB User

thank you so much everyone. as everyone knows the jitters before surgery! got about 2 weeks to sleep on it :/ i hope all of you are re covering well!

Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #8
    jostep926
    (male)

jostep926 HB User

welp here goes nothing, tomorrow at 730 am.

The following user gives a hug of support to jostep926:
    kenzibenzi (06-20-2012)
    Old 06-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #9
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

kenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB Userkenzibenzi HB User

Good luck! Come back on when you can and let us know how you're doing. I'll be praying for you. ~Hugs, Kenzi!

Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #10
    verity
    (female)

verity HB User

hi,
    im in a different time zone so not sure tou will see this before your surgery......remember your young your body will heal quicker and easier..... so that a good benefit.....

take it easy and follow your drs orders .....

take the pain killers if you need too.....

i also think its a combo of your wrestling from a child and heredity factors from your mum

i injured my neck when i was 16 yrs old,,,,,,,,whiplash, car .....i was passenger

sending you good healing vibes and when you can let us no how your doing, ok

verity

Old 06-20-2012, 09:41 AM   #11
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Dear Jostep,
    Wishing you all the best and hope that after surgery you will feel a lot better. I know few young people (one as young as 16) who had same surgery after ski accident. He is doing wonderful and said that recovery wasn't bad at all. 2 weeks after surgery he attended his brother's sport event and showed a lot of excitement during game...

Unfortunately any kind disease can strike person at any age, I wish it wouldn't touch youngsters, but it does. The most importantly you have a good support of family and friends, great attitude and believing in good outcome.

Hugs to you and best wishes
    Moldova

Old 06-24-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
    jostep926
    (male)

jostep926 HB User

5 days after surgery... i am doing ok muscle spasms are under control for the most part.. been in bed alot but i can walk around little by little throat is feeling better. the first couple days of sleeping were awful but last night i slept almost 7 hours. each day is a little btter i know its a long recovery but trying to stay postitive and all you ever read is the negatives so trying to do a litle more each day! but trust me my body lets me know when its too much. thanks everyone for reading my posts, it means alot knowing i have an outlet!

The following user gives a hug of support to jostep926:
    kenzibenzi (06-25-2012)
    Old 06-24-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
    kenzibenzi
    Veteran
    (female)

I'm so happy to hear you're doing well! Keep up the good work! ~Kenzi!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:42 AM   #14
    Moldova
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

I hope everything will go well and you will be out and about in no time!!!!!

Sending best wishes your way

Moldova

Old 06-25-2012, 06:43 AM   #15
    verity
    (female)

verity HB User

you seem to be progressing well.....yeah , do a little at a time , with big rests inbetween.......just little walks to start with.....

are you taking any meds? and thats good your spasms are reducing? how long does one last? when i get them , they can las for diff lenghts of time and of course some are... much worse than others

do you have to wear a collar......it seems some surgeons like their pts to while others dont

rest and take it easy .....
    verity

Closed Thread

Tags
    fusion, herniated disk, surgery