It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Mri analysis

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2012, 05:30 AM   #46
WebDozer
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Mri analysis

<< No hunching over. Holding head up and better posture. >>

Those are certainly pluses...

<< Poor grip LH. >>

That'd be C6-C8 nerves. If you had a C5-7 ACDF, then the C6 and C7 would have been affected. Of course, they should have been IMPROVED...

<< Worse: (Left only)
Lifting up arm out front.
Arm to outside-can lift to about 30degrees. RH to 90. >>

Is that due to pain, stiffness or weakness? If weakness, then it sure seems like your left deltoid has quit working on you. That'd be your C5 and partly your C4, neither of which levels were operated on.

<< Difficuilt to do buttons, belts, pull up trou.
Lift arm up to, and hold, steering wheel. >>

Seems like more deltoid trouble, and maybe bicep. Still C5 or higher, except if "doing buttons" is due to lack of finger coordination, in which case it's C6-C8, I would think.

<< Physio suspects that the nerve from C1-2 may have been upset during surgery resulting in shoulder problem that is occurring. At least that's what I think she said. >>

Not C1-2. Two or three levels lower. Still above the surgery levels, and at levels where the radiologist said the MRI showed no problem. I can't think of anything besides inflammation due to the surgery, unless the surgeon really screwed up and damaged areas he wasn't even trying to fix, which seems pretty unlikely.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #47
hamsta44
(male)

hamsta44 HB Userhamsta44 HB User

Thanks Webdozer for your informative reply:
Lifting arm is due to weakness as much as anything. This is one bit that the Physio was concerned about but may stem from not really using arm in other areas as well.
I have built up the bicep slightly since the op and are now about to give it a greater workout on her suggestion.
Finger co-ordination is not great but slowly getting there and your observation is very valid.
I forgot to mention that twisting my hand over is also poor in that palm down is not staying that way as arm is bent back up at elbow. It tries to "unwind"
There is next to no swelling now but I have noticed that the muscles, down left side of neck, are prone to tightening up if certain movements are made. This is a very tempory situation.
As for the surgery, it was quite major and it is possible that something got disturbed that shouldn't have. As for a botch-up, very much doubt that. This guy is good.
I keep going back to that DELTIOD muscle not playing ball.
I called his surgery but have to wait till 20TH Sept to get in so the next few weeks may be frustrating!!!!.
Actually today is a bad one anyway. The left shoulder was quite achy and the elbow very unresponsive. Both hands bad too but it started out cold this morning. Gym visit was a non-event as nothing wanted to work. Now it'swarmer things have improved but shoulder/bicep well below par. This is my first day like this so not doing badly.

Last edited by hamsta44; 08-27-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Extra.

Old 09-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #48
hamsta44
(male)

Now almost 12 weeks since... Arms still similiar to what they were even with Gym excercises. Surgeon visit 8 days away so, hopefully, I will find out if this is normal for what I had.
The worst part is trying to find out WHAT can be expected during recovery. But everyone I ask either Ducks for cover or has no idea what I am on about.
Also weight has dropped back slightly to 69kg. Was 83 before op then settled about 72.
Few seem to have had the severity I had. My Doc is unable to help as he has no real knowledge of this type of injury.

Last edited by hamsta44; 09-11-2012 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Addition

Old 09-19-2012, 10:49 PM   #49
hamsta44
(male)

Well the surgeon report is not what I really wanted to hear but, atleast I now know what lies ahead.
The nerve damage was worse than would have been wished for, and may never return to the old days. Earlier intervention unlikely to have resulted in a better outcome.
The left shoulder, deltiod & bicep muscles are very wasted and may never return either. The right is not quite so bad. I now have to stop further deterioration with Gym xcercises.
I am to have another MRI to see if anything was missed.
This surgeon, a woman, was really good in explaining what was happening and she will do the next stage if required. the origional is away on a sebatical for 6 mths.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:36 AM   #50
WebDozer
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Jeez... what a *****. Sorry to hear that.

Lots of people have compensated for injuries by assiduous exercise programs, and no doubt you will too. As one who's suffered permanent nerve damage, I can tell you that it's difficult. You'd think you could just strengthen what's still working to make up for your losses, but it won't quite work that way.

Still, in a few years, you'll be in better shape and your friends will be in worse shape, so you'll be back at least to par...

Last edited by WebDozer; 09-20-2012 at 08:37 AM.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #51
hamsta44
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
Jeez... what a *****. Sorry to hear that.

Lots of people have compensated for injuries by assiduous exercise programs, and no doubt you will too. As one who's suffered permanent nerve damage, I can tell you that it's difficult. You'd think you could just strengthen what's still working to make up for your losses, but it won't quite work that way.

Still, in a few years, you'll be in better shape and your friends will be in worse shape, so you'll be back at least to par...
Thanks for your reply. It was a big kick in the &#@^ but, as you say, not the end yet.
Just got back from the gym and they, along with my physio, are going to make me kick a%@e to really push it now. It will be hard but there's nothing to lose. I reckon that I will win this battle (-: . With ones like you giving encouragment why shouldn't we win.
So to summarise what is going to happen:
The MRI is to be further up above where it has been and looking for a bone spur that maybe causing a delay in recovery. It makes sense as anything below that point would be affected.
If that can be fixed, then the rest should improve.

Last edited by hamsta44; 09-25-2012 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Additional

Old 10-15-2012, 05:43 PM   #52
hamsta44
(male)

Just got a copy of the final surgeons report after the follow-up visit. It mentions the C5 Syndrome and that appears to be what I have. Also seems that it takes sometime to get over.
If anyone had personal experience of the timeframe?

Old 10-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #53
hamsta44
(male)

Just weighed myself today and have gone from 83kg to 64kg. The left arm is not good and the rt leg still makes walking hard.
The Gym is pretty much the same, still eat about the same but losing weight from muscle.
The 2nd MRI is still waiting so hopefully that might shine shine light on all of this.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #54
hamsta44
(male)

Had the MRI so now waiting to see the next step.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 PM   #55
hamsta44
(male)

Well thanks for all your support over the past few months. I have now found out I have Motor Neuron which is just ....

Old 02-23-2013, 11:04 PM   #56
jojoson
(male)

jojoson HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsta44 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In March 2011, I slipped down some stairs on my back-feet first. From that time on I ended up with a severe hunch over, weakening in my left arm and right leg gained calf cramps. I saw the Doc the day after and was X-rayed, given some pain killers and that was that.
By a fluke, while seeing a hand surgeon about another thing, the weakness in my left arm was commented on. It was much worse by now.
I was sent to one of the top neurosurgeons and promptly given an MRI scan.
The results:
Findings:
Cervical spine
Alignment is normal.
No active bone oederna.

C2/3/4/5 No significant abnormality.

C5/6/7 Moderate to severe bilateralneural foraminal narrowing secondary to uncovertebral disc osteophyte complexes. No obvious disc protrusion.

C7/T1 No abnormality.

Craniocervical junction and cervical cord are normal in appearance.
No focal bone lesions. No paraspinal soft tissue abnormality.

Lumbar spine:

Distal thoracic cord and conus are normal in appearance.

L1/2 No abnormality.

L2/3 shallow broad-based posterior disc bulging. No neural compromise.

L3-5 No abnormality.

L5/S1: 3mm anterolistheses secondary to bilateral L5 pars defects. Mild-moderate bilateral neural foiramina narrowing secondary to bulging and anterolisthesis. No focal disc protrusion. No spinal canal narrowing. Mild bilateral facet arthropathy.

No focal bone lesion. No paravertebral abnormality.

Comment:
1. C5-C6 and C6-C7 spondylotic changes associated with bilateral neural foromina narrowing.
2, L5/S1 spondylitic spondylolisthesis associated with bilateral neural foarnina narrowing.

The surgeon suggests fusion of the C5-7 section.

Prior to the fall, I was able to walk normally, ride my bike etc but not now.

What I am wondering is what may be instore for the future after the fix,

Also what it is possible to do afterwards.

I forgot to add, that in Jan this year, I saw a chiropractor who managed to get me able to stand straight again and had a session of deep tissue massage which helped aleviate the cramps

Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #57
jojoson
(male)

jojoson HB User

I just underwent as ACDF Jan 30th at Stanford Medical Center. It was a 2 level surgery C-5+6, and 6+7. My advice is to have a neuro surgeon do the surgery. Ive had problems since 1993. finally hands started going numb along with feet. So it was time. It was a great experience. Very little pain I was amazed. Out of surgery by 12. walking around by 1. Not to lift more than 5 lbs for a while. My surgeon was so good there was no collar. I wish I could talk to you or anyone else facing this. honest it was a breeze.

Closed Thread