It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Numbness in left pointer finger

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #1
    jsikora
    (female)

jsikora HB User
    Numbness in left pointer finger

Hi friends,

I was lying on a sofa bed and playing with my dogs when I felt pain shoot up my shoulder and down my arm. The next day my arm hurt, should hurt and first 2 fingers on my left arm were tingling and numb at the tips. I have gone to a chiropractor and he diagnosed that I had an inflamed nerve (in my neck). I went about 5 times and then had to leave town for businss. During that time I did his 'stretches', iced as he directed and used a vibrating massage pillow on my arm and hand. Its now a few weeks later and all is much better but my left pointer finger is still numb! I no longer have bad spasms in my forearm, just a very mild muscle spasm at times, when I have my arm bent and am typing.

I know its not 'carpal tunnel' as my wrist is not in pain. However, my my upper palm still tingles at times. What do you think? Will it heal on it's own? Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Numbness in left pointer finger

Problems with those two fingers would most likely originate with the C7 nerve being pinched as it passes through the C6-7 foramen. The foramina are the holes in the spinal structure through which nerves pass just after leaving the spinal cord. What's pinching the nerve might be a bulging C6-7 disk, or it might be osteophytes (bone spurs) growing off the normal bone structure around the foramen.

If the problem is a disk, it might get better on its own. If it's osteophytes, it probably will not.

For myself, I would not be seeing a chiropractor. I would go the route of seeing an orthopedist or physiatrist. He might send you for an MRI and/or send you for PT, or he might just take a wait-and-see approach.

Last edited by WebDozer; 06-18-2012 at 03:22 PM.

Old 06-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
    jsikora
    (female)

jsikora HB User
    Re: Numbness in left pointer finger

Dear WebDozer,

Thanks so much for your reply. I will take it to heart. I will give it another week to see if the finger responds, as the rest of the arm has gotten much better with each passing day. On an intuitive level, your suggestion to seek other medical support feels right.

He took an xrays of my neck and I have mild 'straightening' for my age, but I do have some squaring off at one level of the spine (neck area)- some calcification. He is convinced it's all a neck issue.

I truly appreciate your response.

JS

Closed Thread