It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 55 yr old 3 days post bilateral posterior foraminotomy c5,6

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
    Pwalla57
    (female)

Pwalla57 HB User
    55 yr old 3 days post bilateral posterior foraminotomy c5,6

Hi all
    Tuesday I had a bilateral posterior foraminotomy at c5,6. No pain med has worked for me, morphine, Dilantin, fentynal, roxycodone, Valium or flexeril. I stayed 2 nights in hospital because of pain. I have to have help to get up and down. I'm not a large person, but am just suffering. Feels like I was "the nurse pointed out" "smashed with a baseball bat" in my thoracic, shoulders and both arms. I don't have any numbness. I have to hold my left arm as if it's in a sling. As long as I don't move I'm pretty much ok. One little move can trigger alot of different areas of pain.

Please know that I have DDD, spinal stenosis and that outcomes at this point are rare from what I read.

I realize the muscles and nerves are out of wack, but has anyone ever had one this bad? I had c7-T1 acdf 4 1/2 mos ago and the first few days of that was easier than this.

Can anyone please share? I know I'm only 3 days post so I'll keep you informed how it goes.

Last edited by Pwalla57; 06-29-2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Added that not all outcomes right away are like this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: 55 yr old 3 days post bilateral posterior foraminotomy c5,6

That's a remarkable difference from my foraminotomy, although mine was only one foramen.

All I can say is give it a couple of weeks...

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    Pwalla57 (06-30-2012)
    Old 06-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
    Pwalla57
    (female)

Pwalla57 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
    That's a remarkable difference from my foraminotomy, although mine was only one foramen.

All I can say is give it a couple of weeks...
    Yes I know from reading so much that this is not usual.

Today is day 4 post. Still feeling like my muscle pain jumps all over. Have a hard time going from standing to sitting and vice versa. Can't pick up anything off the floor.
    Dozer, what was your first week post like?

Old 06-30-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I had no problems at all. Never even filled my pain med prescription.

Let it be said, though, that the term "foraminotomy" just means clearing out the foramen. Doesn't describe what has to be done to clean it out, which may vary tremendously...

Old 06-30-2012, 09:49 PM   #5
    Pwalla57
    (female)

Pwalla57 HB User

My NS cut off bone spurs. One had cut off all the fluid on the left foramen and was hitting a nerve. The other bone spur had gotten progressively worse on my current MRI as opposed to my previous one in Nov.2011. It was causing foraminal narrowing quite a bit as well. I had a bulging disc but he decided not to touch that at this point. He was surprised I had so much pain leaving the hospital. He also thought it may have caused my c7-t1 acdf I had feb.29,2012 added to the pain.

Glad to hear you got through yours well.

I guess just now it's a waiting game and I'll call the NS if it's still like this by Wednesday or Thursday .

Old 07-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
    fireman sam
    (male)

fireman sam HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Pwalla57 View Post
    My NS cut off bone spurs. One had cut off all the fluid on the left foramen and was hitting a nerve. The other bone spur had gotten progressively worse on my current MRI as opposed to my previous one in Nov.2011. It was causing foraminal narrowing quite a bit as well. I had a bulging disc but he decided not to touch that at this point. He was surprised I had so much pain leaving the hospital. He also thought it may have caused my c7-t1 acdf I had feb.29,2012 added to the pain.

Glad to hear you got through yours well.

I guess just now it's a waiting game and I'll call the NS if it's still like this by Wednesday or Thursday .
    I do wish you all the best with your post opp. I can relate with you every step of the way as i had c4/c5 and c6/c7 posterior foraminotomy 9 weeks ago. The first 2 weeks i felt pretty good and seemed to get worse after that and shaking alot and burning in finger tips but i was constantly reasured that this was normal as the nerves are now coming back to life after 7 years and could take 6 months or more to settle down. One week ago my partner was driving and we were sitting at a road juntion and a lorry with 40 foot trailer rear ended us, so back in hospital for 2 days and back to sqaure one. We must keep up hope and be positive. I beleive the power of the mind can help alot. Good luck x

Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
    Pwalla57
    (female)

Pwalla57 HB User

I duplicated my post. Please read my next post .
    And that's why when you have serious operations you need to take meds. Geez!! Sorry

Last edited by Pwalla57; 07-17-2012 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Duplicated post

Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
    Pwalla57
    (female)

Pwalla57 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fireman sam View Post
    I do wish you all the best with your post opp. I can relate with you every step of the way as i had c4/c5 and c6/c7 posterior foraminotomy 9 weeks ago. The first 2 weeks i felt pretty good and seemed to get worse after that and shaking alot and burning in finger tips but i was constantly reasured that this was normal as the nerves are now coming back to life after 7 years and could take 6 months or more to settle down. One week ago my partner was driving and we were sitting at a road juntion and a lorry with 40 foot trailer rear ended us, so back in hospital for 2 days and back to sqaure one. We must keep up hope and be positive. I beleive the power of the mind can help alot. Good luck x
    Wow I'm so sorry to hear that. I know I really need to be more positive. When I'm driving I do get the fear of getting my neck messed up again. With my c7-t1 done in February and now this just done I feel like some pain could be that I'm still recovering from my fusion . Today is 3 weeks post. I'm going to the doctor today(my family doctor).The nurses and doctors at Stanford described to me like it felt like i was being hit with a baseball bat on my arms.neck, shoulders and thoracic. I told them, that was a perfect description . In the last 3 weeks my meds have been switched three times. I'm on some heavy stuff and am very ashamed and embarrassed to have to be on these. But like, I think it was Dozer said, it depends how far into the muscles they had to cut. My bone spur on the left side was pretty large as opposed to the right side which wasn't as big. So they cut down pretty far to get that big spur off.

Last week it looked bad like I had an infection. My regular doctor wasn't there so I saw another one and came with pictures comparing last the weeks. She said since I didn't have a fever or that it didn't feel hot, dont worry about it. It's better today .

One thing I completely forgot to tell all the doctors is that in 2010 I had a sebaceous cyst at the exact incision spot. I got staph there. I was put on antibiotics and it cleared it up . I have noo idea how I got it.
    My question is. Does staph sit there dormant? Or can I possibly be at risk of it more now that there's incisions inside and outside the same spot on my neck ?

I want others to know that a posterior foraminotomy is not always as painful as mine is. I just don't want people to be scared. Most cases I've read, people leave the same day or next and the pain is gone as soon as the surgery is done .

2/29/12 ACDF on C7-T1
    6/26/12 C5,6 Posterior Bilateral Foraminotomy
    DDD Defenerative Disc Disease
    C5,6 C6,7 Bulging discs
    Spinal Stenosis, Foraminal Narrowing
    No car accidents , taught swim lessons for eight years using alot of upper body strength on the little kids , Rock climber almost daily for one year before arms burnt out.

Last edited by Pwalla57; 07-17-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Correct grammar and spelling the best I could : )

Closed Thread