It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• posterior decompression c4/5 c6/7 surgery

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-30-2012, 05:32 PM   #1
    fireman sam
    (male)

fireman sam HB User
    posterior decompression c4/5 c6/7 surgery

Hello,

My name is Carl and i am 42 year old fireman. i had posterior decompression c4/5 c6/7 foraminotomies surgery just over 7 weeks ago and the scare has healed up very well indeed. The healing process i feel is another matter all together. My problems before were nerve pain in neck radiating down right arm and hand and problems with neuralgia from c2 nerve. After 7 years of this pain on and off and many consultants and different treatments from injections that did not work and cervical spinal fluid leaks which i had and was not told. To many people and to many ideas leave you very confused and scared and very much alone within you own skin. So those of you reading this are not alone and there is help out there but you may really need to push for it and make people listen to you because your pain is very real to you.
    Now to continue. Post opp 7 weeks i still have slightly numb fingers in both hands and arm pain. No pain at surgery site and really good neck movement but a little stiff at times. Both feet feels like burning hot in middle of soles and toes tingle at times and all these things really worry me because at times i thick it has not worked or things have gotten worse but i have been told the nerves may take 6 months or more to settle down. I have learnt that medication must be treated with caution and ask docs advice if some meds do not work well for you.
    Now i am nearly there but can anyone help me out with problems they have had with annular tears on L4/59 (this shows up on new MRI) as this may have just happened when i was hit in the rear of my car two days ago while my partner was driving and babe in back seat. We were stationary at the time and hit by HGV with trailor at about 30 mph. Babe and misses ok and i have spent another two days collared up with alot more nerve pain and lower back pain and down both legs and feet. I shake alittle after the opp but now alot worse but hopefully this will go in time. I hope i may have helped some of you out there and surgery is probably one of the biggest decisions you will make in your life but for me i think it was the right choice. I hope someone may have some answers for me as well. Sorry this is alot to read but get it off your chest and stay focus and positive and the very best of luck. xx

Last edited by fireman sam; 07-01-2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: missed something out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: posterior decompression c4/5 c6/7 surgery

What kind of surgery did you have? Laminectomy? Laminoplasty?

Not only may your old symptoms take a while to go away, but you may have new symptoms for a while. For one thing, your spinal cord should be expanding back to normal size, which can cause symptoms. This is a good thing. however, one not so good thing is that the expanding cord can pull on an "entrapped" nerve root, causing new symptoms in the arm. This may get better on its own, or it may need further intervention.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:40 AM   #3
    fireman sam
    (male)

fireman sam HB User
    Re: posterior decompression c4/5 c6/7 surgery

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
    What kind of surgery did you have? Laminectomy? Laminoplasty?

Not only may your old symptoms take a while to go away, but you may have new symptoms for a while. For one thing, your spinal cord should be expanding back to normal size, which can cause symptoms. This is a good thing. however, one not so good thing is that the expanding cord can pull on an "entrapped" nerve root, causing new symptoms in the arm. This may get better on its own, or it may need further intervention.
    Hello, hope you are well.

The type of surgery i had was for right c4/5 and c5/6 posterior cervical foraminotomies. Hope this may help some. Thank you and best wishes.

Last edited by fireman sam; 07-01-2012 at 02:41 AM. Reason: incorrect spelling

Closed Thread