It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C7 Posterior Foraminotomy Post OP

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-18-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
    tclay42300
    (male)

tclay42300 HB User
    C7 Posterior Foraminotomy Post OP

Had C7 Posterior Foraminotomy 6 days ago. Had arm weakness, arm pain, shoulder pain, pain in between shoulders and middle finger movement. Post op pain has gotten better but experiencing the following: index finger numb, middle finger numb, arm pain. Not the same type of things that I experienced before the surgery. I am not taking any pain meds just ibuprofen and I have been up and walking for a few days. See doctor on Friday. Is this stuff normal I am experiencing for this type of surgery? How long before I can return to "normal"?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2012, 07:32 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: C7 Posterior Foraminotomy Post OP

I don't know how long before returning to normal, but I do think that six days is too early to begin worrying about post-op symptoms, If the nerve was badly compressed, it may be rearranging itself and even coming back to life a little...

Old 07-20-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
    tclay42300
    (male)

tclay42300 HB User

Having a lot of arm pain. Significantly worse than before surgery. Anyone have any experience with this type of surgery? I am 45 year old man in pretty good shape. Workout frequently.

Old 07-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I had a left C5 a few years ago. No post-op pain, that I recall....

Old 07-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
    tclay42300
    (male)

tclay42300 HB User

Latest..
    Went to dr on 07-20. He thinks it's inflammation.prescribed neurontin and steroid. Still having arm pain and a terrible burning sensation when I turn head to left like my incision is ripping open but it is not. Two fingers still numb. Neurontin is not fun for me. I take one and I am useless. Taking only at bedtime now.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
    Ilovemycutedog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Did the Dr. seem to think it was normal to have this type/as much pain as you are having when you saw him?

It seems pretty normal to me with a Posterior approach to have this type of pain after only 13 days of recovery. It also depends on how delicate your surgeon was.....some are different than others.

So...having inflammation can definitely irritate the nerves in that area and cause radiation of symptoms down your arm.

Yes...Neurontin is a good nerve pain medication but can cause sedation (it shows all the possible side effects in the literature that came with it)....And then it's good they gave you steroids to reduce the inflammation.

We all heal differently so I wouldn't try to compare yourself to others. I just think that 13 days is still really early in the process so just take it one day at a time. Keep an open dialogue with your Dr. about your symptoms. Make sure you are following all the post op instructions to a T and not overdoing it.

Good luck..

Old 08-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #7
    tclay42300
    (male)

tclay42300 HB User

Update.
    It has now been 3 weeks since my surgery. Pain is less but my arm is so weak. Weaker than before surgery. I cannot even do a push up. Also my index finger is still numb. Anyone have any experiences with this?

Old 08-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
    Ilovemycutedog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

I hope you aren't trying to do push ups!!! You really need to just take things one day at a time. Again...after a major surgery, especially with the posterior approach...it takes a long time for the swelling, nerves, and muscles to all calm back down again.

I can't imagine your surgeon is ok'ng doing push ups right now....this could cause further damage.

You have to be patient with this sort of surgery and not worry too much about the symptoms you have now that are pretty normal. It's only a concern if you are having trouble after 3-6 months later.

As I wrote earlier....unless there is something that is so far out of the norm that your Dr. is concerned about....you really need to not push yourself so far by thinking you are going to be 100% so fast after surgery.

And even after 6 months or so...you may have a bit of nerve damage which is always possible with spine issues and surgery. I have about 35% loss on my right side (arm/hand/fingers) and 15% on the left. It doesn't really effect me much with the numbness. But this is after 3, two level, cervical fusions and 3 active herniations right now with Spondy and Stenosis...

It's good that the pain is lessening. The weakness should get better month by month...Hang in there!

Old 08-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #9
    tclay42300
    (male)

tclay42300 HB User

Update...
    My arm is so much weaker now than before surgery. It just cannot be normal for this surgery. Any info anyone ?
    Right arm 14.25", left arm 12.75"

Last edited by tclay42300; 08-08-2012 at 06:48 PM.

Old 08-25-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
    minstrel2
    (female)

minstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB Userminstrel2 HB User

I had ACDF on C7-T1 in 2008. I had an extremely weak left arm prior to surgery, and 8 weeks after, began another 8 weeks of PT and regained all my strength. This stuff takes time. I still have neuropathy symptoms, due to damage to my cord which occurred before the surgery.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
    tclay42300
    (male)

tclay42300 HB User

Update.
    Had second opinion because of arm weakness in triceps. Had myelogram done at request of second dr. He said the nerve looked like it had enough room and recommended time and PT. Also saw ortho for pain in shoulder and had X-ray and he said bone spur. Got cortisone shot and doing 4 weeks PT then go back. He wondered why nerve conduction test was not done on arm. Will see. I have a little more strength in tricep but is only bout 25% of other arm. Been total of 2.5 months. Discouraged about weakness. Should I be?

Closed Thread