It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• MRI - Focal Abnormality of the cervical cord?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-27-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
    InNeckPain
    (female)

InNeckPain HB User
    MRI - Focal Abnormality of the cervical cord?

Hi, had MRI on Cervical spine and I'd really appreciate your thoughts on the findings:

The vertebral alignment appears satisfactory.
    There is narrowing reduction signal intensity of the c5-C6 disc.
    At C5-C6 there is a shallow broad-based prostate disc protrusion which indents the anterior CSF space. There is no evidence of cord or nerve root impingement. The spinal canal dimensions appear generous and the posterior CSF space appears well preserved.
    At C6-C7 and a broad-based posterior disc protrusion which indents the anterior CSF space. The spinal canal dimensions appears generous. There is no evidence of cord or nerve impingement.
    Focal Abnormality of the cervical cord is demonstrated.

My biggest concern is around the 'Focal Abnormality of the cervical cord is demonstrated'. Does anyone know what this actually means? I'm not sure if I should be most concerned about this or if anything else should ring the alarm bells more?

Thank you for any help/advice you may have.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: MRI - Focal Abnormality of the cervical cord?

All I can say is, ask the doc who referred you for the MRI. He could tell you in a second...

Old 07-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #3
    InNeckPain
    (female)

InNeckPain HB User

I wish he had but unfortunately not. I have an appointment in 2 weeks with a Neurosurgeon so I think he is leaving it to him to explain but I would like to be as well prepared knowledge wise before the appointment and for my own peace of mind I would like to know more about it without having to wait 2 weeks.
    Thanks

Old 07-27-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

I don't blame you for being concerned. Obviously you have symptoms which led the doc to order an MRI, but the rest of what you posted looks pretty innocuous. Seems odd, though, that if it were a problem the radiologist would mention it in such a throwaway manner.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
    InNeckPain
    (female)

InNeckPain HB User

It seems to be the way radiologists do things here. I had an earlier MRI which amongst many findings noted at the end of the report an 'Incidental S2 right sided Tarlov cyst'. My doctor skipped over it, I don't think he ever heard of it before. Hence my desire to find out things for myself before seeing the Neurosurgeon. I've waited weeks for this appointment so want to make sure I cover everything and don't leave feeling more confused than when I went in.

Closed Thread