It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• help to understand mri findingd

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-02-2012, 07:34 AM   #1
    Trumpet26
    (female)

Trumpet26 HB User
    help to understand mri findingd

MRI LUMBAR SPINE:

There is minimal anterior and end plat osteopphyte formation. Small end plate depressions are seen at multiple levels. Vertebrae are otherwise unremarkable in height, alignment and marrow signal intensity

There is disc desiccation and posterior annular tear at L4-5 level

T12-L1and L1-2: There is no significant disc bulge or compromise of spinal canal and bilateral neural foramina

L2-3 and L3-4 levels: There is mild diffuse disc buldge causing mild narrowing or spinal canal and bilateral neural foramina

L4-5 There is diffuce disc bulge with posterior central small disc protrusion and mild ligamentum flavum hypertrophy causing mild narrowing of spinal canal and bilateral neural foramina.

L5-S1 Level: There is not significant disc bulge or compromise of spinal canal and bilateral neural foramina

Conus Medullaris and cauda equina appear unremarkable in signal intensity.

MRI Thoracic Spine

Vertebrae are unremarkable in height, alignment and marrow signal intensity

There is partial disc dessication at T9-10 levels

There is ligamentum flavum thickening at T5-6 to T10-1 levels causing indentation on the dorsal epidural fat

There is not significant disc bulge at T1-2 to T11-12 levels. Spinal canal and bilateral neural foramina are otherwise patent

Thoracic cord is unremarkable in signal intensity
    Can anyone provide info on my diagnosis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-02-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: help to understand mri findingd

The ligamentum flavum runs longitudinally down the back of the spinal canal, and helps hold the otherwise-horizontal aspects of the spine together. When the ligament hypertrophies, the excess growth goes into the spinal canal. When you also have a disk bulge coming from the front, your canal is being squeezed from two directions. Thus, even if both conditions individually are "mild", the combined effect on the canal can be worse than mild.

In your case, though, the radiologist is explicit that the combined narrowing (stenosis) of the canal is still only "mild".

Radiologists, by the way, commonly use minimal/mild/moderate/severe to describe levels of severity, so you can see that "mild" means something like "I can clearly see it, but I'm not worried about it".

The "annular tear" at L4-5 is not an unusual condition. It means that the tough outer shell of the disk (the annulus) has torn, and some of the soft inner filling has squeezed out. This is pushing into the canal from in front. Probably more important - for your symptoms - is that it's also pushing into the foramina on both sides. These are the holes in the sides of the spine - just behind the vertebral column - through which the nerves pass on their way down your legs.

One might infer from the report that the radiologist thinks that this narrowing at L4-5 is still only "mild", but it's not altogether clear.

My uneducated amateur's guess is that the doc who ordered the MRI will want you to go for PT, which may very well be a big help.

If I were a surgeon - and, of course, I am not - I don't think I'd see anything here that I'd consider worthy of surgery.

I don't know if you've seen a surgeon, or what the ordering doc had to say about the MRI, but I'd strongly urge you to get someone else to look - not only at the report, but also at the images - if you are in any doubt.

Last edited by WebDozer; 08-02-2012 at 08:29 AM.

Closed Thread