It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Fast Recovery from ACDF

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-04-2012, 12:44 PM   #1
    fiercekitten
    (female)

fiercekitten HB User
    Fast Recovery from ACDF

Hello all,
    I had a single level ACDF at C6/7 a week and a half ago, July 25th. It was a pretty easy surgery, all went according to plan and I have not had the need for a single pain killer since two hours after surgery. I had a post-op appointment with my surgeon a week later and he told me I was doing great. He told me I could start to take off the Aspen collar during the day and at night and I should start moving my head from side to side. He told me I could start driving in a week.

I feel pretty good, no pain, pretty decent range of motion from side to side and don't even really feel like I just had surgery.

I am supposed to be off work for three more weeks but I just cannot imagine that. I know I need another week or two for sure, but I feel pretty confident that I will be able to go back to work (office desk job) a week early.

So, my question is, have others experienced a quick recovery and gone back to work/life earlier than planned? I know I should be careful and not over do it, but I have no interest in milking disability any longer than I need to. Has anyone else returned to their life earlier than predicted?

Thanks!
    Cassie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
    Ilovemycutedog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User
    Re: Fast Recovery from ACDF

That's great news!

The driving within a week is kind of scary because it's not about ability and pain levels, it's about things are so fragile that if you get into an accident, even a fender bender, it could easily cause paralysis. So, many Drs. have a longer period afterwards to protect their patients.

I recovered quickly like you after my first surgery and that was a two level fusion with my own hip bone.

Usually with a one level...anterior approach, especially with donor bone, people have a faster recovery period.

The issue with anything people see/post online it's going to be when there isn't a success story so you won't find as many on here like yourself but they are all out living their lives without any issue

I would just take things one day at a time, try not to overdo it, and enjoy the wonderful results and pretty much pain free recovery!

Old 08-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Fast Recovery from ACDF

I had a pretty fast/easy recovery from a C3-4 ACDF. I think that's the norm, actually, although people who don't have trouble have less reason to post here...

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    fiercekitten (08-05-2012)
    Closed Thread