It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Help reading cervical MRI findings

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-05-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
    lisaryan
    (female)

lisaryan HB User
    Help reading cervical MRI findings

Need help reading this MRI report. Thanks in advance for your help.

Findings: The intrinsic character of the cervical and upper thoracic cord, the brainstem and located cerebellar tonsils is unremarkable.

From the base of the skull through the atlantoaxial articulation on sagittal views through mid C2 and on axial views as well through C5-6; limited disc dehydrations; slight endplate hypertrophy; no evidence of cord or root concerns; generous canal and foramen throughout.

At C7-T1-2 on both sagittal and axial and on sagittal only T2-3 through T6-7; unremarkable.

Impression: Limited spondylosis of through the cervical spine, most apparent at C5-6 where there is some uncinate encroachment 1+mm; the canal and neural foramen are generous; there is no evidence of cord or root encroachment concerns.

The nerou is wanting to do surgery, I do not. I have neck and back pain 24/7 and a headache almost everyday.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-05-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
    Re: Help reading cervical MRI findings

The degenerative process in your neck according to this report is very mild. If you can treat it medically and tolerate it I would recommend waiting on anything surgical. You may need it down the road, but unless your symptoms are intolerable, there is no hurry. You may benefit from NSAIDS (antiinflammatories) and muscle relaxants if there is spasm. They will often help the neck and heaches. Some PT may help as well.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
    lisaryan
    (female)

lisaryan HB User

This report is from 2009, my primary Dr. wants me to get another MRI, I am on pain meds, muscle relaxers, anxiety and headache meds. The meds are not working, and I am thinking that it is getting worse. Thanks for replying

Old 08-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
    Ilovemycutedog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Obviously none of us are medical professionals so you should not rely on anything that is said online...

Our thoughts and impressions are just from our limited knowledge based on our own experiences.

It doesn't appear to be anything serious going on as the word mild is used as well as it mentions there isn't any cord involvement.

The only bit of concern is at the C5-C6 area but even then they say there is no cord involvement.

I can't see why in the world they are wanting to do surgery...What kind and what type of Dr. is wanting to do this?

I have only had surgery when there were severe herniations with obvious cord involvement and danger of paralysis.

They always write things in terms of severity from mild, moderate, and severe. As well as the terms unremarkable....this is good.

Have you seen an actual Neurologist to see about your headaches?

How about treatment for the pain using injections, or muscle relaxers, or headache type medication?....How about physical therapy?

With any type of spine issues...especially with the cervical region. The most experienced and trained are Board Certified Neurosurgeons. But even then, you will get a cut happy surgeon which sounds like you have. Most reputable BC Neurosurgeons will not do surgery unless it is absolutely necessary.

Again...we aren't Drs. but I can't see anything in what you wrote that would qualify for surgery.....

I would make sure you are getting 2nd and 3rd opinions from BC Neurosurgeons that do NOT know one another.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
    lisaryan
    (female)

lisaryan HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ilovemycutedog View Post
    Obviously none of us are medical professionals so you should not rely on anything that is said online...

Our thoughts and impressions are just from our limited knowledge based on our own experiences.

It doesn't appear to be anything serious going on as the word mild is used as well as it mentions there isn't any cord involvement.

The only bit of concern is at the C5-C6 area but even then they say there is no cord involvement.

I can't see why in the world they are wanting to do surgery...What kind and what type of Dr. is wanting to do this?

I have only had surgery when there were severe herniations with obvious cord involvement and danger of paralysis.

They always write things in terms of severity from mild, moderate, and severe. As well as the terms unremarkable....this is good.

Have you seen an actual Neurologist to see about your headaches?

How about treatment for the pain using injections, or muscle relaxers, or headache type medication?....How about physical therapy?

With any type of spine issues...especially with the cervical region. The most experienced and trained are Board Certified Neurosurgeons. But even then, you will get a cut happy surgeon which sounds like you have. Most reputable BC Neurosurgeons will not do surgery unless it is absolutely necessary.

Again...we aren't Drs. but I can't see anything in what you wrote that would qualify for surgery.....

I would make sure you are getting 2nd and 3rd opinions from BC Neurosurgeons that do NOT know one another.
    My primary Dr. said no to surgery, my Neuro, that I have dropped is one of the best around, he wanted to fuse C5-6 and "fix" the others. I had to stop the injections in my neck, they were making my pain worse. I take lortab 10mg, xanax 1mg, flexeril, imitrex 100mg, and firocet.
    Thanks for the help, I just found the report, and was trying to remeber what he (Neuro) told me about it

Old 08-05-2012, 10:43 AM   #6
    Ilovemycutedog
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Ilovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB UserIlovemycutedog HB User

Your Primary care really doesn't count as they are not surgically trained in that area.

I guess I don't see why the Neuro would want to fuse as I don't see any herniation or cord involvement?

I've had 3, two-level, cervical fusions....I only had them when there was "severe" herniations with absolute cord involvement and threat of paralysis.

Surgery is not to treat pain...it is to fix a mechanical issue and from everything you have written so far....there is nothing listed there that needs to be fused. There is no words of severe herniations or cord involvement.

This is why it's crucial to get 2, even 3 opinions from Board Certified Neurosurgeons who do NOT know each other. Then if all 2 or 3 of them say the same thing....then it's a consideration.

Again...just speaking from my own limited knowledge

Last edited by Ilovemycutedog; 08-05-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Lisa - Get that new MRI. Let us know exactly what it says, if you want any help with it. Don't be making decisions based on - or adking opinions about - three-year-old images.

Last edited by WebDozer; 08-05-2012 at 11:53 AM.

Closed Thread