It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• pain after surgery for ACDF C5-C6

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
    Garfieldstocks
    (female)

Garfieldstocks HB User
    Unhappy pain after surgery for ACDF C5-C6

Hi all

I am new to this so please bear with me, I underwent surgery nearly 6 weeks ago for ACDF C5-C6. My friend gave me a hug (nice) about 10 days post surgery......oh the pain :-( my neck clicked and crunched.

I have been in constant pain since, sitting upright with support around the neck, laying down in bed is a nightmare. I am unable to trun my head left and right, put my head back, put my chin to my chest, I feel lie it has been an absolute waste of time having the operation. The pain is excruciatin, almost like electric shocks/mini spasms in my neck, shoulders and down into my chest.

I have since been for an xray as this may show up the ceramic disc spacer that has been inserted in between the vertebrae. This show nothing untoward????

My consultant is quite dismissive (different hospital to my local) and I know feel like my own doctor is limited to what they can do to help.

Can I ask if anyone else has suffered since their operation, how long for and if they had any referral for further MRI, scan, xrays what was outcome.
    Thanks all, any information would be fantastic as I feel as though its gone too far and maybe all in my head and I am worrying for nothing.

Take care

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: BIG problem...Horrible pain AGAIN :( anterior cervical discectomy and fusion

Doesn't sound right to me, not at all. I had a single-level ACDF many years ago with nothing remotely similar to your symptoms afterwards. I don't know what to tell you to do for follow-up, especially since you're stuck in a system that isn't exactly known for its responsiveness....

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    Garfieldstocks (04-02-2012)
    Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
    Garfieldstocks
    (female)

Garfieldstocks HB User
    Exclamation Re: BIG problem.. Horrible pain AGAIN :( anterior cervical discectomy and fusion

Hi Webdozer,

Thanks for your reply, its really appreciated. The physio exercises that where given to me to strengthen my neck, I couldn't do and although I am trying to them now, I am in pain trying, i don't honestly know if i am doing any more damage, if any or it is the secondary C6-C7 disc.

They only listed me for one area and advised me that they were going to wait until the pain etc associated with this procedure to lessen before they consider doing anything about the other one. Work and home life is suffering now, I am at my wits end, stuck in a quandry to be honest.

Thanks again for your reply

Old 08-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #4
    Melanie261099
    (female)

Melanie261099 HB User
    Re: BIG problem.. Horrible pain AGAIN :( anterior cervical discectomy and fusion

Hi, I had my first fusion November 2011, all seemed fine until Feb 2012 when my neck pain and arm pain increased significantly. The MRI showed what they thought was a problem with the bone graft. I had the operation re-done May 2012 and they found a piece of bone stuck into my nerves. Since the re-op my neck pain is worse then before the first operation, arm pain has increased and I am constantly shattered. Apparently this is as good as it will get now!

Closed Thread