It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• facing surgery C2- T1

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
    capatga
    (female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User
    facing surgery C2- T1

I wish I had just an ounce of your bravery , I have a question which I am sure you have answered before, I am facing cervical spinal surgery on c3,c4 and possibly c2, in 2002 i had a cervical dissectomy/ fusion on c4 -thru c7 IN 2002 with hardware ( cadaver bone graft) and was doing quite well until it came back in 09 , I had no insurance so I put off the surgery, I won't begin to post the pages of radiology reports from the mri on my cervical and lumbar spine but folks it is BAD , since the lumbar spine had not the spinal cord ,would that make the cervical fusion more imminent than the lumbar (L4 -S1) the pain is worse in the lumbar spine than the cervical spine ,but I am afraid of bowel incontinence and paralysis , the pins and needles all over my body are driving me coo coo batty, I have a lot of nerve damage ,I am so afraid of another surgery since I am 10 years older since the first one (I am 59) if they went in the front of the neck the first time ,will they have to go in the back this time ? I did lose a little range in my neck as my surgeon said that I would if I had a career as a singer that the surgery would affect that ,have you ever heard that before , I used to play classical piano and had to stop because of the severe carpal tunnel in my hands /what kind and how much help will I need around the house with that type of surgery , I am disabled because of my stenosis
    but can still do most house work that dosen't require lifting /sorry this post is so random but I have been having problems with cognitive skills lately ,It took me almost an hour to type this post, hope you had a Happy New Year

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
    ariz4me
    (female)

ariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB User
    Re: C3 - T1 Surgery Questions

I am so sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your spine. I know how it feels to have severe stenosis and weakness. Since this was my first surgery, I'm not as experienced as others who have supported me through this process. Hopefully they will be able to talk to you about their experiences. What I do know is that you have to start with a really good doctor--one who has lots of experience working with the spine. I went to several before I found my doctor. He was the one who was able to offer me the best advice possible on how to address my spine problems. I would suggest that you seek several opinions from some top doctors in your area. They provided me with the sound advice and direction in which to go.

Good luck and I hope that your issues get resolved soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to ariz4me For This Useful Post:
    capatga (01-03-2012)
    Old 01-09-2012, 06:13 AM   #3
    stevesback
    (male)

stevesback HB User

I don't have an answer to your question about having pain all on one side. However, one thought is that if it is mostly due to muscle tightness, PT might be able to help. I'm having PT for C5-Palsy. It has helped with the palsy and also helped with general muscle tightness. In your case the tightness might be contributing to the ongoing pain and I wouldn't be surprised if it could effect oneside and not the other.

Good luck.
    Steve

The Following User Says Thank You to stevesback For This Useful Post:
    ariz4me (01-10-2012)
    Old 01-09-2012, 08:20 AM   #4
    capatga
    (female)

capatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB Usercapatga HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by stevesback View Post
    I don't have an answer to your question about having pain all on one side. However, one thought is that if it is mostly due to muscle tightness, PT might be able to help. I'm having PT for C5-Palsy. It has helped with the palsy and also helped with general muscle tightness. In your case the tightness might be contributing to the ongoing pain and I wouldn't be surprised if it could effect oneside and not the other.

Good luck.
    Steve
    someone on this board suggested to me to get tested for cerebral palsy, I always thought this was a young persons disease , my neck has become very spastic and so are my legs , I am going to google it
    thanks for your reply

Old 01-09-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
    jennybyc
    Inactive

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User

Capatga....cerebral palsy is from a brain injury. But you can develop a "nerve palsy" with any nerve in the body. I had ulnar nerve palsy from putting my elbows on a chair arm while hand sewing my wedding gown. Any nerve, including the nerves in our necks can get a "palsy".

Nerve problems after major neck surgery are not unusual. I found a lot of relief from drugs like Cymbalta....supposed to be for depression but also approved for peripheral neuropathy and from my perspective, worked better for the neuropathy than the depression. Lyrica is another one that helps. Neurontin...not so much.

Healing takes time.....lots and lots of time...like 2 years plus! Major spine surgery takes major time!

hugs to all...............Jenny

The Following User Says Thank You to jennybyc For This Useful Post:
    capatga (01-10-2012)
    Old 01-25-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
    capatga
    (female)

facing surgery C2- T1

are there older post as to how you got to this surgery, I am facing surgery
    C2- T1

Last edited by Mod-S4; 09-08-2012 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Posts moved from another thread. Reference to thread deleted.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #7
    ariz4me
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by capatga View Post
    are there older post as to how you got to this surgery, I am facing surgery
    C2- T1
    I got to this point by having marked weakness in my left bicep and forearm. I could barely bring my arm up to do a bicep curl. I then started with pain in my right arm and weakness. I had the pain in my left arm for years but ignored it, thinking I had some sort of elbow and shoulder muscle issue. It was only after my left arm became markedly weak that I went to the doctor. What are your symptoms? Have you had several opinions?

Ann Marie

Old 01-25-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
    capatga
    (female)

I am having some of the same symptoms as you, that's what scares me , but reading you post I get more confident that I will be alright , I had a fusion in 2002 C4-C7 now the disk above and below it has spurring with some nerve root contact and stenosis , I also have lumbar stenosis , with numbness in my right thigh ,pins and needles, vertigo, extreme pain, muscle spasms,myclonus from restless legs,spasticity in the neck and back of legs,balance and gait issues , my insurance dosen't kicj in until feb 01 and I am going to hire a new set of doctors and hope that my insurance will pay for a second opinion

will they have to go onto the back of my neck since they went thru the front and are you still sore?

that's for replying to my post , you sound so strong and I am inspired by you, thanks so much

Old 01-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #9
    ariz4me
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by capatga View Post
    I am having some of the same symptoms as you, that's what scares me , but reading you post I get more confident that I will be alright , I had a fusion in 2002 C4-C7 now the disk above and below it has spurring with some nerve root contact and stenosis , I also have lumbar stenosis , with numbness in my right thigh ,pins and needles, vertigo, extreme pain, muscle spasms,myclonus from restless legs,spasticity in the neck and back of legs,balance and gait issues , my insurance dosen't kicj in until feb 01 and I am going to hire a new set of doctors and hope that my insurance will pay for a second opinion

will they have to go onto the back of my neck since they went thru the front and are you still sore?

that's for replying to my post , you sound so strong and I am inspired by you, thanks so much
    Hi,
    I'm so sorry to hear that you have all of those symptoms. Mine were pretty much kept to my upper body (arms mostly). Thank God, I got it done before it truly affected by balance and gait. I had several docs tell me that if I hadn't gotten it done I would be paralyzed. That made my decision for me. I'm not sure about whether your doc would go through the front or the back. That's something they will decide. I am happy that mine went through the back. Even though it is very painful, I feel as if things are a lot more sturdier. I am 11 weeks out and I still get soreness and spasms. However, I am over the heavy duty pain which lasted two weeks. They do give you wonderful pain meds so you'll be okay.

I would suggest though that you go for a second opinion. The first doctor I went to told me he would go through the front and that he couldn't fix it all. The second doc, (the one I chose) was so confident and explained how he was going to fix all of it by doing it from the back. I had a awful lot done but I'm healing. It takes time but you do incrementally get better.

Thank you for your kind words. I was in your shoes not too long ago!

Please feel free to ask questions. Many of the others will also chime in from time to time as well.

Take care!

capatga (01-28-2012)
    Old 01-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #10
    Chitown2012
    (male)

Chitown2012 HB User

Ann Marie:

I'm having it done posterior. With me they are going to use a fiber optic line to put the tube in my throat while sedated but still awake. Not looking forward to that procedure or getting a catheter... [I] guess its a guy thing.. counting down the days to Feb 1 surgery...

Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
    ariz4me
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chitown2012 View Post
    Ann Marie:

I'm having it done posterior. With me they are going to use a fiber optic line to put the tube in my throat while sedated but still awake. Not looking forward to that procedure or getting a catheter... [I] guess its a guy thing.. counting down the days to Feb 1 surgery...
    Good luck to you. I have never heard of a fiber optic line. What is the purpose for this? The catheter is not really a good thing for a female as well But you won't really care. Please keep in touch. I know that the next few days will be nerve wracking. It was definitely that way for me. But in the end, I felt a sense of calmness when I entered the OR. You have to have the trust in your doctor to do the right thing. Afterwards, it's getting through the healing. We are here for you. Just post away!!

The following user gives a hug of support to ariz4me:
    Chitown2012 (01-28-2012)
    Chitown2012 (01-28-2012)
    Old 01-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
    Chitown2012
    (male)

Chitown2012 HB User

Anne Marie:

Thank you so very much for your words of wisdom & kindness, it's much appreciated!!! This is my 1st ever surgery....Feb 1st is closing in.... If you don't mind me asking what are the meds they put you on after you were discharged.... I don't have prescription coverage so I'm might see if I can get some prescription assistance... Thanks again....John

Last edited by Administrator; 01-30-2012 at 10:08 PM.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
    capatga
    (female)

they gave me percocet and darvon

the older pain meds are fairly cheap

Closed Thread