It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Please help me decide if I should a second surgery!

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 58
4thof4 HB User
Please help me decide if I should a second surgery!

I had a two level fusion (one with artificial disk) at 5-6 and 6-7 in Dec 2011. Had xrays done about 6 mo post op......neurosurgeon saw that one of the wires from the screw was broken. Said it shouldn't be a problem. Since then I started to have some swallowing issues come up.....had a cold and the post nasal drip was hell on my swallowing because I felt like I couldn't get the post nasal drip to go down...kept swallowing over and over. Kept me up at night doing so. Anyway, since Aug. I have noticed that small pieces of food get caught in my throat.......pieces of pasta...potato chips etc....when I swallow. Swallowing pills is difficult as well. Repeated the x rays and surgeon said I was not fused all the way at the artificial disk site and that I have pseudo arthrosis.

The newest symptom I have is the return of the right arm weakness and fatigue when used too much. Such as reading a book to my class at school. Holding my arm up that long makes it tired. I also have occasional radiating pain in my shoulders...sometimes down my upper middle back is also fairly new.

I saw the NS today and he redid xrays. Nothing has changed since the last xray. He told me I could do nothing, or, redo the surgery and do a traditional ACDF and put a plate on it. And he would redo it anteriorly, he said, instead of posterior. Said it was up to me and the pain level I'm willing to tolerate.

I don't know if I should have it redone or wait and see....based on my symptoms....what would you suggest? Should I request a posterior approach to make sure the job is done for good in spite of the longer recovery? Or stay with the anterior approach? Or should I not do this at all??? Please help!



Sponsors Lightbulb
Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Join Date: May 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 1,382
WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Please help me decide if I should a second surgery!

Do the docs think the swallowing trouble is due to the failed surgery? I don't really see the connection between a cervical problem that low and swallowing, but I guess it's possible.

Anyway, if the kind of swallowing problem that could result in choking, then that's something to get fixed, if possible...

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Sign Up Today!

Ask our community of thousands of members your health questions, and learn from others experiences. Join the conversation!

I want my free account

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:42 PM.

Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
© 1998-2018 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!