It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• New Here and TERRIFIED!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
    ariz4me
    (female)

ariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB Userariz4me HB User
    Re: New Here and TERRIFIED!!

Hi, It's been a little over a year since my surgery. I had C3 to T2 fused. Like you I was terrified and my MRI was actually worse than yours. I started with one doc who told me I could wait. Then I went to another who indicated I had to get it done right away. I went to a neurologist to break the tie and he said it needed to be done very soon. Like you, he said to be careful not to fall or get into a car accident.

To tell you the truth, I walked around as if I were made of china. I was terrified of the surgery and also terrified that I'd end up paralyzed either by falling or by the surgery. I finally decided that it was time - especially since my left arm was getting very weak and the muscle was atrophying. The surgery went well. They did mine through the back of my neck.

Whatever you decide to do, please make sure to get several opinions. Do your research and go to doctors who have done numerous types of these surgeries. They will be able to give you a pretty good description of what needs to be done and how they are going to do it. Those who express hesitation about how to proceed, just walk away and find another surgeon. Your success depends on the skill of the surgeon and your outlook.

Believe me, I too suffer from anxiety disorder. I came through it very well. Just do your homework. Good luck!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #17
    sweeteypie1118
    (female)

sweeteypie1118 HB User
    Re: New Here and TERRIFIED!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ariz4me View Post
    Hi, It's been a little over a year since my surgery. I had C3 to T2 fused. Like you I was terrified and my MRI was actually worse than yours. I started with one doc who told me I could wait. Then I went to another who indicated I had to get it done right away. I went to a neurologist to break the tie and he said it needed to be done very soon. Like you, he said to be careful not to fall or get into a car accident.

To tell you the truth, I walked around as if I were made of china. I was terrified of the surgery and also terrified that I'd end up paralyzed either by falling or by the surgery. I finally decided that it was time - especially since my left arm was getting very weak and the muscle was atrophying. The surgery went well. They did mine through the back of my neck.

Whatever you decide to do, please make sure to get several opinions. Do your research and go to doctors who have done numerous types of these surgeries. They will be able to give you a pretty good description of what needs to be done and how they are going to do it. Those who express hesitation about how to proceed, just walk away and find another surgeon. Your success depends on the skill of the surgeon and your outlook.

Believe me, I too suffer from anxiety disorder. I came through it very well. Just do your homework. Good luck!!!
    Thank you very much for the reply. Like you said, I am scared to have the surgery, and scared to not have the surgery. I don't like having this "hanging over my head" so to speak.

Closed Thread