It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Neurosurgeon appointment Monday

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-06-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
    kimUSA
    (female)

kimUSA HB User
    Lightbulb Neurosurgeon appointment Monday

Hello to everyone. I have never done any kind of post to a board before so advance apologies for improper etiquette. So here is my situation. Diagnosed with fibromyalgia.. 2 years ago went on Savella... At first it was great as a nerve block but over time had some unpleasant side effects so i have weaned off of it...this has been about 2 months ago... Meanwhile 6 months ago I fell in the tub and landed flat on my back even through the Savella i noticed pain at mid back and behind my left shoulder blade and at the base of my skull, also low back pain intermittent ... also my fine motor skills are compromised the general practitioner ordered MRI of my back. Below are the results. I cannot take narcotics ( side effects) nausea etc, have tried the tramadol and all those, don't seem to respond well to those either. I am wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and had surgery for something similar? I am only 46 but feel 86 and don't want to be drugged my whole life. I am seeing the neurosurgeon Monday and would like to make sense of these MRI and be able to have an intelligent voice in what to ask for please help... Thank you :-)

MRI c spine results C SPINE
    FINDINGS: Mild degenerative disc disease C3-C4 and C4-C5. Vertebral body height
    and alignment unremarkable. Minimal hypertrophic degenerative changes C1-C2.
    Predental and prevertebral space preserved. Posterior central and far right
    paracentral disc protrusion hooded by spur occurring at the C3-C4 segment.
    Greatest diameter of the posterior disc spur complex occuring right
    paracentrally measuring 5.1 mm. This process is causing moderate right
    subarticular facet recess stenosis. It is also causing severe right foraminal
    stenosis with marked right exiting nerve root effacement. No significant thecal
    sac or cord effacement. Moderate left foraminal stenosis also present at t
    level with mild left exiting root nerve effacement.
    No other areas of posterior disc herniation seen. Spinal cord free of
    intramedullary abnormal signal. Visualized brain structures at skull base
    unremarkable. Paravertebral soft tissues unremarkable.

Lumbar MRI
    HISTORY: Status post fall 6 months ago.
    COMPARISON: None
    TECHNIQUE: The examination was performed on the GE Signa 1.5 Tesla MRI scanner.
    Sagittal fast recovery fast spin echo proton density, sagittal fast recovery
    fast spin echo T2 fat suppressed, axial T1 weighted conventional spin echo, and
    axial fast recovery fast spin echo T2 weighted images were obtained.
    FINDINGS: The paraspinal soft tissues are unremarkable. Vertebral body heights
    and alignment are maintained. Bone marrow signal is unremarkable. Conus
    medullaris terminates at T12-L1. There is mild L5-S1 disc space height loss and
    disc desiccation.
    The following levels were evaluated axially:
    At L3-4, there is no evidence of spinal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.
    At L4-L5, there is mild broad-based posterior disc bulge. There is no evidence
    of spinal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.
    At L5-S1, there is minimal posterior disc bulge. There is no evidence of spinal
    stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing.
    Impression:
    IMPRESSION: Minimal lower lumbar spine degenerative changes. No evidence of
    spinal stenosis or neural foraminal narrowing. No acute abnormalities
    identified.

MRI THORASIC SPINE SPINE WITHOUT IV CONTRAST, 2/28/2013 6:02 PM
    INDICATION: Thoracic spine pain
    TECHNIQUE: Images were obtained of the spine spine with multiple pulse
    sequences in multiple projections without IV contrast.
    FINDINGS:
    There is no acute bone edema. The spinal cord is normal. The spinal canal is
    patent. There is no significant foraminal narrowing. There is slight kyphosis
    due to mild disc narrowing in the central spine. There is slight wedging of T6
    vertebral body but this is an old finding. The paravertebral soft tissues look
    normal.
    Impression:
    IMPRESSION:
    1. No acute spine process.
    2. Minimal disc narrowing without significant spinal canal or foraminal

The following user gives a hug of support to kimUSA:
    fuzzybunny pgh (03-10-2013)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
    poopoopadoop
    (female)

poopoopadoop HB User
    Re: Neurosurgeon appointment Monday

Seems like at C3-4 you have a disc protrusion and bone spur that is causing narrowness in the facet joint. I don't know what kind of surgery they would do for that. It is good that the spinal cord is not being impinged or compressed. I don't know if facet joint injections would be an option for you (less invasive than surgery). Good luck on Monday!

Lisa

Old 03-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
    kimUSA
    (female)

kimUSA HB User

Thank you... I appreciate the input I will do some research on those ASAP..

Old 03-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Talk to the surgeon about getting a foraminotomy at C3-4... a minimally invasive surgery to get rid of that bone spur. Maybe outpatient. If he wants to do an ACDF, get another opinion right away. DO NOT agree to ACDF until a second opinion recommends it...

Last edited by WebDozer; 03-07-2013 at 03:53 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    kimUSA (03-25-2013)
    Old 03-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
    Realhousewife
    Inactive
    (female)

Realhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB UserRealhousewife HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kimUSA View Post
    Thank you... I appreciate the input I will do some research on those ASAP..
    What did the neurosurgeon say?

Old 03-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
    kimUSA
    (female)

kimUSA HB User

So the neurosurgeon said I don't have the typical symptoms of a c3 4 injury the right side ....I don't have the shooting pain on that side so the drs opinion is that my pain must not be coming from this injury... Also for the T spine does anyone know anything about a kyphoplasty?

Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Do you have any symptoms in your right shoulder or arm? The radiologist says you have SEVERE foraminal stenosis with concomitant nerve impingement. That should result in SOME symptoms. Don't expect pain to necessarily be one of them.

Last edited by WebDozer; 03-25-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    kyphosis, mri report interpretation, mri shows cervical stenosis., thoracic pain