It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• C5/6 & C6/7 discecotomy and fusion

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-11-2013, 09:30 AM   #1
    Biddlebob
    (female)

Biddlebob HB User
    C5/6 & C6/7 discecotomy and fusion

Hi Everyone,
    I am here in the hope of finding others like myself, with similar symptoms, my problems are not confined to my arms and hands, but include my legs, my walking is very limited, my balance is extreamly bad. After very short distances outside, which i use my two year olds pram as a walking frame, my legs actually stop moving, I almost have to drag them. I have bad proprioception which causes me to fall to the side and struggle with uneven ground, hills or slopes. Its like being drunk, without the fun lol. Although at times it does actually make me laugh, if I am having a good day. In which case I probably do look drunk, hey ho, if I cared what people think, I would never leave the house.

My symtoms started over two years ago, I am a mother of 4, who really has come to except this, no really, I have. My surgery was done to prevent me getting any worse, and in the hope that some of my symptoms would improve. 3 wks post op, no improvement.

So is there anyone out there who is in the same boat, would love to hear from you. Is there anyone out there who's symptoms did improve?

I try to remain upbeat and positive, some days are harder than others, life is more of a challenge than it once was, but hey, I am still here

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: C5/6 & C6/7 discecotomy and fusion

You need to give it more than three weeks.

Also, how long did you have serious symptoms before you got the operation?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
    Biddlebob
    (female)

Biddlebob HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
    You need to give it more than three weeks.

Also, how long did you have serious symptoms before you got the operation?
    Hi, I know i need to give it longer, my surgeon said up to 2 years, what ever i dont recover in two years I never will. Just wondered how its been for others. I havent seen anyone else with my symptoms.

My hand and arm problems started Dec 2010, it progressed to my legs and feet July 2011. Unfortunately for me the NHS failed to find what was wrong with me until August 2012, I was treated for Arthritis for about a year. So not Ideal.

Thanks for your reply. Feels as though, I am the only one like this.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
    bek81
    (female)

bek81 HB User

Thanks for replying to me on my post. I hope your surgery does work for you. I am due to see my neurosurgeon tomorrow for a definate confirmation of surgery or not as I had my third MRI two weeks ago. My symptoms mainly concern neck pain and my left hand. The operation scares me to death tbh!! So if I do hav any questions I will take you up on your offer. It's funny how people can go through life without any bother then this happens!! And the symptoms and aches are so strange!! At first I was diagnosed in July 2011 with tennis elbow now I have a prolapsed disc!! My hand paralysis has gone though just numbness and weakness for not moving it for a year!! I really hope you a good outcome from your surgery. Where did you have it? I'm due to go to Coventry walsgrave if I have to have it xx

Old 03-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

You would seem to have cord damage, and the longer cord damage is left untreated, the more likely to become permanent. Still, give it six months before you come to any conclusions....

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    Biddlebob (03-13-2013)
    Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
    lisamarie633
    (female)

lisamarie633 HB User

Hi Biddlebob,
    I'm new to all of this back stuff, my symptoms of weakness, pins and needles in hands and feet, terrible balance issues, electric shock pains in legs, heavy feeling in legs, pains in shoulder down arms, started in 06. I was being tested for possible MS, the MRI showed a brain tumor, so I had a craniotomy and had it removed, it was benign.

I thought I was all better, symptoms have come and gone since then and I shrugged them off, they have now gotten worse, so another MRI, showing 4 Levels of compression in the cervical spine. I have an appointment with another Neuro Surgeon who specializes in the neck. From what I've read those of us that have had symptoms for a long time all we can hope for is surgery will stop the progression of problems. Some lucky people have symptoms disappear.

Wishing you the best, fill me in on your surgery experience!!

God Bless,

Lisa

Old 03-13-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
    Biddlebob
    (female)

Biddlebob HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bek81 View Post
    Thanks for replying to me on my post. I hope your surgery does work for you. I am due to see my neurosurgeon tomorrow for a definate confirmation of surgery or not as I had my third MRI two weeks ago. My symptoms mainly concern neck pain and my left hand. The operation scares me to death tbh!! So if I do hav any questions I will take you up on your offer. It's funny how people can go through life without any bother then this happens!! And the symptoms and aches are so strange!! At first I was diagnosed in July 2011 with tennis elbow now I have a prolapsed disc!! My hand paralysis has gone though just numbness and weakness for not moving it for a year!! I really hope you a good outcome from your surgery. Where did you have it? I'm due to go to Coventry walsgrave if I have to have it xx
    Hi Hun, I wish you luck today, my operation was in colchester. I am glad I had it done (at this stage anyway lol). At least I now will not get any worse. I can still look after my children like this, that is the most important thing to me. It must have been very worrying and upsetting not to be able to move your hand.

My op was at 2 levels, as I said it really wasnt as bad as I imagined. If you need it doing, go for it.

Take care, Nicola

Old 03-19-2013, 11:53 AM   #8
    Singletree
    (female)

Singletree HB User

I have relapsing/remitting MS (11 years) and your symptoms sound just like mine. May I suggest a spinal tap. That confirmed my MS. I am now on Aubagio (a tablet) and all is fine. I was on Rebif (injection). Please don't worry as MS is easily controlled. God Bless you and Good Luck.

Last edited by Singletree; 03-19-2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Meant for Biddlebod

The Following User Says Thank You to Singletree For This Useful Post:
    2amy (04-07-2013)
    Old 03-19-2013, 12:04 PM   #9
    Singletree
    (female)

Singletree HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Biddlebob View Post
    Hi, I know i need to give it longer, my surgeon said up to 2 years, what ever i dont recover in two years I never will. Just wondered how its been for others. I havent seen anyone else with my symptoms.

My hand and arm problems started Dec 2010, it progressed to my legs and feet July 2011. Unfortunately for me the NHS failed to find what was wrong with me until August 2012, I was treated for Arthritis for about a year. So not Ideal.

Thanks for your reply. Feels as though, I am the only one like this.
    May I suggest you see a neurologist. I have relapsing/remitting multiple scelerosis (11 years) and your symptoms are very similar to mine.

Old 03-22-2013, 10:11 AM   #10
    Biddlebob
    (female)

Biddlebob HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Singletree View Post
    May I suggest you see a neurologist. I have relapsing/remitting multiple scelerosis (11 years) and your symptoms are very similar to mine.
    Hi Singletree, thanks for your reply, I am aware my symptoms are similar to MS, I myself thought I had MS, but in the early part of last year I saw a neurologist, who did a brain scan to rule out the posibility of MS and Brain Tumour, my scan was fine so he discharged me.

I think the reason the symptoms are the similar may be because, in both of our cases its because the signals are not getting through from body, but the cause is different.

I have muscle wasting in my hands, does this happen in MS? Does MS always show in a brain scan do you know?

The MRI scan of my neck showed deteroriation to my spinal cord, maybe due to my original injury or the herniated discs themselves, I am not sure.
    God Bless to you too,
    Nicola

Old 03-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #11
    Biddlebob
    (female)

Biddlebob HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lisamarie633 View Post
    Hi Biddlebob,
    I'm new to all of this back stuff, my symptoms of weakness, pins and needles in hands and feet, terrible balance issues, electric shock pains in legs, heavy feeling in legs, pains in shoulder down arms, started in 06. I was being tested for possible MS, the MRI showed a brain tumor, so I had a craniotomy and had it removed, it was benign.

I thought I was all better, symptoms have come and gone since then and I shrugged them off, they have now gotten worse, so another MRI, showing 4 Levels of compression in the cervical spine. I have an appointment with another Neuro Surgeon who specializes in the neck. From what I've read those of us that have had symptoms for a long time all we can hope for is surgery will stop the progression of problems. Some lucky people have symptoms disappear.

Wishing you the best, fill me in on your surgery experience!!

God Bless,

Lisa
    Hi, Lisa,
    it sounds as though you have been really going through it, as well (((hugs))) like yourself I am open to the idea that I might never get any better. I think that acceptance of how things are now is very important to dealing with the loss of ability.

keep in touch,
    I havent met anyone on the net or in person, who has similar problems.
    Wishing you Well,
    Nicola

Old 03-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #12
    Singletree
    (female)

Singletree HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Biddlebob View Post
    Hi Singletree, thanks for your reply, I am aware my symptoms are similar to MS, I myself thought I had MS, but in the early part of last year I saw a neurologist, who did a brain scan to rule out the posibility of MS and Brain Tumour, my scan was fine so he discharged me.

I think the reason the symptoms are the similar may be because, in both of our cases its because the signals are not getting through from body, but the cause is different.

I have muscle wasting in my hands, does this happen in MS? Does MS always show in a brain scan do you know?

The MRI scan of my neck showed deteroriation to my spinal cord, maybe due to my original injury or the herniated discs themselves, I am not sure.
    God Bless to you too,
    Nicola
    MS shows up on an MRI as white spots in the brain. CAT scans are not, in my opinion, a diagnosis method for MS. I have never had a CAT scan only MRI(s) as a CAT scan shows bone and an MRI shows tissue. I have also had a cervical diskectomy and prior to that surgery I did have problems with my arms and hands. I wish you luck and hope that would will insist on an MRI.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:09 AM   #13
    Biddlebob
    (female)

Biddlebob HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Singletree View Post
    MS shows up on an MRI as white spots in the brain. CAT scans are not, in my opinion, a diagnosis method for MS. I have never had a CAT scan only MRI(s) as a CAT scan shows bone and an MRI shows tissue. I have also had a cervical diskectomy and prior to that surgery I did have problems with my arms and hands. I wish you luck and hope that would will insist on an MRI.
    Hi Singletree,
    Sorry I wasn't clear, it was a MRI scan I had in the early part of last year, so I guess the herniated discs and spinal cord involvement is the correct diagnosis. It sounds as though you have been though a hell of a lot, I wish you well,
    Nicola

Old 03-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #14
    Singletree
    (female)

Singletree HB User

Has anyone had a second cervical diskectomy? I had one with a fusion 11 years ago and am now having symptoms again. My neurologist told me it was a collapse of the vertebra above and below my prior surgery and that my neurosurgeon would not perform a second diskectomy. I am going to see him again. However, has anyone suffered recurring problems and do you know if a second surgery is an option?

Old 03-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #15
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

Lots of people have multiple diskectomies...

Closed Thread