It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Scheduled for surgery to have ROI-C cervical cage put in

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
    Gatorbait
    (female)

Gatorbait HB User
    Scheduled for surgery to have ROI-C cervical cage put in

I'm due to have the ROI-C cervical age put in for the herniated discs in my neck. Has anyone had this? Have you had good results?? I trust my surgeon 100% i do have concerns about the device. Haven't found much on line that is positive. Any input is much appreciated. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User
    Re: Scheduled for surgery to have ROI-C cervical cage put in

Hey there GB welcome to the site... As I saw from another poster on here that does a lot on here & really values her post. "Most come here to seek solutions when they are having problems & or more pain from their post surgeries than when they aren't"... This isn't a quote, but a close proximity to that. And that is so vey true to most forums on the web.
    I too did a quick Google search & found most to be from lawyers seeking high tort cases against a specific medical device. I would do some more in depth searching & if you can't find what you want then ask your own doctor why he likes that specific device. Also ask what success rate he has with it too.
    Hope your surgery goes good for you.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:58 PM   #3
    Gatorbait
    (female)

Gatorbait HB User

Thanks for the input. I have a call into my NS and those are the exact questions I am going to ask. Surgery date is comin fast and I just to feel confident about the choice as far as which device he uses. I'm 43 female I was In a car accident 18 years ago that is how I got the herniated discs. MRI also said I have congenital narrowing to 7mm. Along with stenosis and the forminal something or ruther. Oh and bone spurs. Some of those medical terms may mean the same things. Any way I'm also gonna ask if they plan to make the 7mm larger. Thanks for the reply and when I feel well enough after surgery to post my progress I will so others can hopefully benefit. I'll keep checking back until then. Thanks again

Old 03-18-2013, 11:26 PM   #4
    Gatorbait
    (female)

Gatorbait HB User

Well I am going in this am at 5:30 to have surgery. I'm haveing two discs in cervical spine taken out and the ROI-C cervical cage put in. Dr said one maybe two nights in the hospital. I'll update as soon as I'm able. Hope everyone is doing well.

Old 03-19-2013, 04:56 AM   #5
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

Hope all goes well for you...And a quick prayer for you also....

Old 03-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #6
    roadiez
    (male)

Well it's been a few days since your surgery.
    I hope all went well for you.
    Let us know when you can.
    I am sure you'll be going stir crazy looking for a comfortable position.
    From what I have read on here that most go through after surgery.
    Also did you ask your doctor about the concerns of that specific piece used?
    If so was that what item he/she preferred to use?
    Also how quick does your doctor want to start your PT?

Best wishes for you on your body healing quickly.

The Following User Says Thank You to roadiez For This Useful Post:
    Gatorbait (03-25-2013)
    Old 03-24-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
    Gatorbait
    (female)

Gatorbait HB User

Well had my surgery Tuesday the 19th was in hospital over night. Friday night was awfull I would scream out in pain every time I moved. Finally had to take a trip to ER Saturday I was having terrible muscle spasms in my upper shoulders and neck. The inssision site is in the front of my neck off to the side. Approx 1 1/2 to 2 inch cut. They sutured it from the inside. I'm on major pain meds and muscle relaxers. I have all motor skills and that's a good thing. I have to wear a soft collar while sleeping and riding in a vehicle but bumps still cause pain. Friday night was awful and Saturday at ER most of the day wasn't fun. My hands are shaky and numb time to time. Dr said I'm looking at 6 to 8 week healing period. Not a easy road. But the upside is I have all motor skills. At times I'm a lil off balance I just have to give it time yes I would do it again. At this point. I go back to my NS next week and see what he says. I do know they said I had 3 herniated discs and disc fragments all over the place and down in the spinal canal causing problems. They seem to care and seem to want me to heal and be the be the best I can be be. I will update as I progress I hope this helps others trying to decide on weather or not to have similar surgerys. Good luck and stay strong.

The following user gives a hug of support to Gatorbait:
    roadiez (03-25-2013)
    Old 06-14-2013, 03:59 PM   #8
    GregOL
    (male)

GregOL HB User

Gatorbait- A few months out now, and how is your neck holding up?
    I'm not sure from your post... did you have two ROI-C implants put in?

I am sorry that I didn't get your post here until just now, I had a C5-C6 fusion in Sept. 2012 and now I have one ROI-C on board and I am very very happy 9 months out.

First few weeks were a little tough with nerve pains adjusting, but I would easily do it again. I never spent a night in the hospital, I walked to the car in the afternoon of my surgery... pretty amazing.

I had an injury 15 years ago which grew into a problem choking my spinal column, put surgery off for 7 years but happy now that I did it.

I hope that you are doing well after some adjusting to it all. I am 100%

Cheers,
    Greg

Closed Thread