It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Spinal Cord Stimulator - the good and bad

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
    cspineguy
    (male)

cspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB User
    Spinal Cord Stimulator - the good and bad

Hi,
    I had a cervical corpectomy with fusion late 2011. Since then I have been in chronic pain. The surgery went well, and the fusion worked and stopped the compression of my spinal cord, but I was left with Radiculopathy, and have pain in my neck and shoulders and also pain that goes down my arms.
    They have tried multiple treatments, cortisone shots, radio-frequency abrasion, physical therapy, acupuncture and so on.
    On my last visit to the pain center, I talked to one of the doctors and they want me to think about the spinal cord stimulator. He felt I was a good candidate for the trial, but said only small percentage qualify for the actual implant as they want to see a large improvement in order to move forward. The other thing he said was that the neck and shoulder pain probably wouldn't be helped much, but it should help with the arm pain, as that is from the Radiculopathy/nerve damage.
    Not sure if I should go thru the trial. I am in so much pain and have gone through so many procedures, I just don't know if I am up to more procedures.
    So my question is have any had the stimulator and what where your results. Anyone have it for cervical spine issues?
    Any and all input would be appreciated, as I would like to know the pros and cons.
    Thanks in advance for any insights.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-02-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
    icy3angelz
    (female)

icy3angelz HB User
    Re: Spinal Cord Stimulator - the good and bad

My mom had neck surgery and said that was the worse thing she could have ever done . I too have neck and shoulder pain and it does get horrible. I would try other alternatives first. Did u ever have lower back issues in the beginning? I ask that because i did and my boyfriend, who also use to have severe back pain, had
    Told me that is where it usually starts and works its way up. I also took massage therapy for a little moment and realized with my own pain, that with the body working together, my neck and shoulder pain is and was actually coming from the muscles under my shoulde blades being pulled. I had tention knots there and with having that spot massaged it actually relieved my neck pain. The crazy thing is the muscles under my shoulder blade never hurt but they were pulling other muscles which in turn were pulling my neck. Sorry so long but I FEEL YOUR PAIN..i would suggest. Seeing a massage therapist. If you have a school in your area. That has the massage therapy program, you can go there and get one done for little to nothing, compared to the price of a personal m.t. Then work. Building. Up on strengthening the core of your body thru yoga (beginners first) then

Old 04-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #3
    icy3angelz
    (female)

icy3angelz HB User

...cont. then working on the other muscles. Alot of times CERTAIN issues are blamed on genetics or are treated as such if it is in the fam history and are treated as such when we go to the doctor. Its better for them to go from there on than to start from the bottom. Up or else they wouldnt stay in business. P.therapy is a coping treatment, but how is. That really going to help if what started it was never fixed. If your spine was compressed then your body structure didnt have the support it needed and that is muscle

The Following User Says Thank You to icy3angelz For This Useful Post:
    cspineguy (04-03-2013)
    Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
    nochange
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

I have been in this forum for a long time...and I have never met here anyone who had spinal cord stimulator done for treating chronic neck pain.

It's very miserable and painful to have chronic neck pain. No doubt about that.

Last edited by nochange; 04-03-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Old 04-03-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
    cspineguy
    (male)

cspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB Usercspineguy HB User
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nochange View Post
    I have been in this forum for a long time...and I have never met here anyone who had spinal cord stimulator done for treating chronic neck pain.

It's very miserable and painful to have chronic neck pain. No doubt about that.
    Hi nochange, that is my biggest dilemma. Even the doctor said it would probably do very little for the neck and shoulder pain. He felt it would help my arm pain as that is caused by nerve damage. So while the arm pain is a problem and causes me a lot of my discomfort, some days I can barley move them, the SCS will only help with that and not the neck.
    Trying to do as much research to educate myself, and need to see the doctors about other meds that might help with the nerve pain.
    I agree neck pain is miserable. Hope you are feel ok today.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 AM   #6
    cspineguy
    (male)

so update.....
    I am going to hold off on the SCS. After talking to a lot of people, doing research and talking to doctors, I am going to try some other things first. I've made an appointment with a neurologist to see what other medications we can look at for the nerve pain, as I don't feel we have not exhausted this yet.
    I had an appointment with my primary doctor last week. He wasn't supportive on it. He also felt their were other options to try and prescribed me Lidoderm patches to see if that would help and thought it was good to see a neurologist. He also said he would hate for me to go through another invasive procedure and have a foreign object implanted in me since I have been through so much.
    I have been under his care for over 20 years and trust him a lot. He has seen me through minor aches and pains through major surgeries, and his opinion has always been very important to me.
    Thanks to everyone for their great advice and support. As always, I find so much information and support here!

Last edited by cspineguy; 04-11-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Closed Thread