It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Artificial cervical disc replacement

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
    monongahela
    (male)

monongahela HB User
    Talking Artificial cervical disc replacement

I am going in for artificial cervical disc replacement for my C-5 / C-6 disc of my neck. The surgery is next Wednesday April 24th! I know there are pros and cons to this, but there are also pros and cons to fusion, like: fusion only lasts so long, and the discs above it and below it eventually become so strained and worn out from the added pressure from the fusion that more fusions will eventually be needed on the discs above and below. I will try to let y'all know how the surgery/recovery went. Take care everybody!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-17-2014, 11:04 AM   #2
    OneRita
    (female)

OneRita HB User
    Question Re: Artificial cervical disc replacement

How did your surgery go? How are you doing since your surgery? My dr is talking to me about the same procedure and I'm very nervous to say the least. He just put in a order for surgery thru insurance Monday.... For the same thing c5/c6 disc replacement

Last edited by OneRita; 01-17-2014 at 11:04 AM.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #3
    monongahela
    (male)

monongahela HB User
    Re: Artificial cervical disc replacement

It went ok. The disc went in just fine, and there was no problems. Just after the surgery and since, I still have some pain in my left shoulder blade and left trapezius muscle above it. My left thumb is still numb on the right side of it. My pain and soreness in my forearm went away completely. I was off work for several weeks after the surgery. I did a lot of physical therapy for a few months after the surgery. I did not do any physical therapy since September. I have gotten a little frustrated and now am doing neuromuscular therapy (very deep massage) on my shoulder blade and forearm and thumb. This costs $70 per hour, and I am doing it twice a week now. The pain in my shoulder blade is going away quickly, and the therapist thinks that soon the numbness in my thumb will go away. I asked the surgeon's front desk to make sure that my Blue Cross/Blue Shield federal health insurance (I work for the federal government) would cover the artificial disc operation. The doctor's office said they called the insurance and the insurance said they would cover it totally except for my $150 co-pay. Well, I paid the co-pay and went ahead with the operation. A few weeks after the surgery I get a notice from the insurance saying they will not cover any of the surgery except $8. Wow. The insurance told me since they did not cover it, I would not have to pay the difference between the doctor's charges and the $8 what the insurance paid. So, I only paid the $150 co-pay. I called the doctor and they said I would not owe them anything. This was after I told them they should have done a better job checking with the insurance beforehand, and would not pay anything more to them. This was their costly mistake. I think just the artificial disc was thousands of dollars. Good luck with the surgery. Even with my muscles still being in a little pain I am glad I did it because I will not have to worry about the discs above and below going bad also. The massage therapist says he thinks my recovery and perfect neck range of motion are remarkable, that he has never seen such a recover, and certainly not in any of his neck fusion patients. Take care.

The Following User Says Thank You to monongahela For This Useful Post:
    OneRita (01-20-2014)
    Closed Thread