It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 7 months post-op ACDF C5/C6

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
    TheVetIsIn
    (female)

TheVetIsIn HB User
    7 months post-op ACDF C5/C6

Hi everyone,

I have a question about everyone's recovery from an ACDF C5/C6.

I had my surgery in September, 2012. My insurance company denied physical therapy, so I asked my surgeon what exercises I should be doing. He gave me a basic list of exercises, and I started working out with a strength and conditioning coach.

At 3 months post-op, I asked if I could go back to work. Surgeon told me a desk job only. I work a physical job (vet tech), so I had to wait another few months.

At 6 months post-op, he states that my fusion is healed, and he let me go back to swimming and yoga. He also let me go back to work, with a warning to "watch my lifting".

I've had 2 issues with this practice from the beginning. Every time my surgeon sees me, he tells me that I need bariatric surgery and a breast reduction ASAP. Then, he complains that because I take medication for biploar disorder (type II), I am never going to lose weight because of the metabolic changes that it causes. So, what do I do? Have the bariatric surgery and breast reduction? Wait? His answer was to shrug his shoulders at me. I inquired that maybe I should have had bariatric and breast surgery BEFORE spine surgery and he kind of shrugged at me again. I was a big girl with big boobs when I went in for the consult, not much has changed. I did lose 20 pounds prior to surgery, and I lost another 15 during recovery. It IS a slow and frustrating process because of the psych meds that I take, but I am coming along. I'm a former athlete and I know that I will get back in shape..it's just going to take time.

During the course of my recovery, I was diagnosed with celiac disease after 3 months of symptoms. I had various GI issues, migraines, hair loss and fatigue. I was going back and forth between my PCP and a GI getting tests. I was also in the hospital a few times. As a result, I had to reschedule some appointments with my surgeon. I was having some issues with the surgeon's secretary not calling me back when I had to reschedule, so I had to make it point to "chase her down" on a daily basis. This past week I finally got in touch with her after 2 weeks to make an appointment, and she actually yelled at me over the phone, stating that even though she knows I have been having some medical issues, my surgical recovery is more important. She told me that I was non-compliant because I didn't go to PT (what?) and that I "refuse" to lose weight and get a breast reduction (WHAT?). She implied that I didn't care about my safety and recovery because I am putting my GI issues first. I couldn't get a word in edgewise, and eventually, I just gave up.

I've never had anyone in the medical field yell at me before. I'm always a very nice, compliant patient who does what she is told. I understand that the office is concerned about covering their butts - but really, shouldn't I have lost weight and had breast surgery BEFORE spinal surgery? It was like - I had spine surgery, and suddenly there was this pressing need to have another 2 surgeries. As far as PT goes, they have documentation that my insurance wasn't paying, so I don't know where THAT came from.

I made an appointment to see another spine surgeon next week. They asked me to bring all of my MRIs and x-rays. I really feel bad about leaving the practice, but I think that yelling at me was a little out of control. The 3 months that I was going through testing and whatever for celiac were awful. I was fatigued down into my bones and had migraines with vomiting a few times per week. Of course, I wasn't the ideal patient or employee during this time. But, I never rescheduled an appointment without a reason - I always told the secretary what was going on - if I was in the hospital, going for testing or had a migraine and couldn't drive.

What would you do about this situation? Would you stay with the practice or find a new doctor? I know that people "fire" their doctors on a regular basis, but I have been with my docs for years - 10 years for pain management, 20 for PCP, etc. I've never had an experience like this that made me want to move on.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread