It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• what does my MRI mean?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #1
    knowlege hungry
    (female)

knowlege hungry HB User
    what does my MRI mean?

What does this mean? Do not remember much after the doc said "You have severe damage..."

Occiput to T4 evaluated in the sagittal plane. Mild to moderate disc space narrowing at the c5-c6 level. The craniocervical junction, cervical thoracic junction are normal in appearance.

C2-C3 Normal
    C3-C4 Normal

C4-C5 Diffuse disc bulge with a residual AP diameter of the central spinal canal of approx. 10 mm. Mild right foraminal stenosis.

C5-C6 Diffuse disc bulge central disc protrusion with effacement of the anterior aspect of the cord and residual AP diameter of the canal of 7 mm. Uncinate process hypertrophy with severe right foraminal stenosis.

C6-C7 Diffuse disc bulge with an AP diameter of the canal of 8-9 mm. Uncinate process hypertrophy with significant right foraminal stenosis.

C7-T1 Normal

There are no paraspinal masses identified. The vertebral bodies and disc spaces are otherwise normal.

Impression

1. Discogenic disease at C5-C6 and C6-C7 with a residual AP diameter of the central spinal canal 7 mm and 8-9 mm respectively.

2. Severe right foraminal stenosis C5-C6 and moderate to severe right foraminal stenosis C6-C7 due to discogenic disease in uncinate process hypertrophy.

3. Mild effaccement of the anterior aspect of the cervical cord at C5-C6.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: what does my MRI mean?

<< C5-C6 Diffuse disc bulge central disc protrusion with effacement of the anterior aspect of the cord and residual AP diameter of the canal of 7 mm. >>

The C5-6 disk is bulging backward into the spinal canal. It has effaced (pushed away) the cerebrospinal fluid on the anterior (front side) of the spinal cord. The canal has been narrowed to an AP(front-to-back) diameter of 7mm. That's pretty narrow, but does not NECESSARILY mean you have spinal cord impingement. The radiologist should say if you do, and he doesn't say.

<< Uncinate process hypertrophy with severe right foraminal stenosis. >>

You have bone overgrowth (bone spurs or "osteophytes") growing off the part of the vertebrae that interface with the C5-6 disk. The bone growth is creating stenosis (narrowing) of the opening (foramen) where the right C6 nerve leaves the cord and heads down toward your hand. You may have a variety of symptoms from your neck down to your thumb.

<< C6-C7 Diffuse disc bulge with an AP diameter of the canal of 8-9 mm. Uncinate process hypertrophy with significant right foraminal stenosis. >>

Same as at C5-6, but narrowing not as severe either of canal or foramen.

Last edited by WebDozer; 04-23-2013 at 12:53 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    knowlege hungry (04-26-2013)
    Closed Thread