It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Please help read my MRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #1
    River1124
    (female)

River1124 HB User
    Cool Please help read my MRI

HI everyone,

I had an MRI done because I was having neck and shoulder pain. My right hand is week and tingled. My right shoulder is lower than my left. I had a cervicle fusion in 2000 which went very well. I had an MRI in 2005 and everything was great. Now I just had a MRI 4/29/2013 .

Impression
    At c/4 c/5 a 3 mm diffuse disc osteophyte complex is noted . Which enroaches onto foramina. The central canel is severely stenosed with AP dimension of approximately 6.5 mm. Effacement of CSF from around the cord is noted without evidence of cord compression. Severe stenosis of the right neural foraman and moderate to severe stenosis on the left neural foraman are noted.
    At C3/C4 a minimal diffuse dice osteophyte is noted. Moderate to severe stenosis of the left neural foraman and moderate stenosis of the right neural foramen are noted. My neck hurts all the time and feels really heavy. It's already severe what's the progression. My job is very physical.

Last edited by River1124; 05-29-2013 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Forgot something

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Please help read my MRI

<< At c/4 c/5 a 3 mm diffuse disc osteophyte complex is noted.>>

Bone spurs are growing off the C4 and C5 vertebrae.

<<Which enroaches onto foramina.>>

The spurs are pushing back into the foramina - the holes in the front/side of the spinal cage through which pass the spinal nerves. The C5 nerve would affect the biceps and deltoid (shoulder) muscles, but probably not the hand.

<<The central canel is severely stenosed with AP dimension of approximately 6.5 mm.>>

The spinal canal is greatly narrowed, with a front-to-back measurement of 6.5mm, which is quite narrow (although I've seen worse).

<<Effacement of CSF from around the cord is noted without evidence of cord compression.>>

The cerebrospinal fluid inside the spinal canal has been pushed away (effaced) from the spinal cord, but the cord has not been compressed. 6.5mm but no compression? Seems improbable to me, but I'm not a professional.

<<Severe stenosis of the right neural foraman and moderate to severe stenosis on the left neural foraman are noted.>>

As said above, the foramina are being narrowed by the osteophytes. "Severe" means "bad". The radiologist does not say that the spinal nerves are affected, but he may assume that using the word "severe" implies that. He should have been more explicit.

<<At C3/C4 a minimal diffuse dice osteophyte is noted. Moderate to severe stenosis of the left neural foraman and moderate stenosis of the right neural foramen are noted.>>

This is rather odd. If the d-o-c is "minimal" than it should NOT be causing moderate-to-severe stenosis, and if it isn't causing it, then what is?

Last edited by WebDozer; 05-30-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
    River1124
    (female)

River1124 HB User
    Smile Re: Please help read my MRI

Thank you so much. I have an appointment with my neurosurgeon next week. Hoping surgery is not needed. I'm only 51 and very active. I would rather have surgery and fix the problem than have to moderate all my activities . What do you think ? Thanks again.

Last edited by River1124; 06-02-2013 at 06:25 PM.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
    River1124
    (female)

River1124 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
    << At c/4 c/5 a 3 mm diffuse disc osteophyte complex is noted.>>

Bone spurs are growing off the C4 and C5 vertebrae.

<<Which enroaches onto foramina.>>

The spurs are pushing back into the foramina - the holes in the front/side of the spinal cage through which pass the spinal nerves. The C5 nerve would affect the biceps and deltoid (shoulder) muscles, but probably not the hand.

<<The central canel is severely stenosed with AP dimension of approximately 6.5 mm.>>

The spinal canal is greatly narrowed, with a front-to-back measurement of 6.5mm, which is quite narrow (although I've seen worse).

<<Effacement of CSF from around the cord is noted without evidence of cord compression.>>

The cerebrospinal fluid inside the spinal canal has been pushed away (effaced) from the spinal cord, but the cord has not been compressed. 6.5mm but no compression? Seems improbable to me, but I'm not a professional.

<<Severe stenosis of the right neural foraman and moderate to severe stenosis on the left neural foraman are noted.>>

As said above, the foramina are being narrowed by the osteophytes. "Severe" means "bad". The radiologist does not say that the spinal nerves are affected, but he may assume that using the word "severe" implies that. He should have been more explicit.

<<At C3/C4 a minimal diffuse dice osteophyte is noted. Moderate to severe stenosis of the left neural foraman and moderate stenosis of the right neural foramen are noted.>>

This is rather odd. If the d-o-c is "minimal" than it should NOT be causing moderate-to-severe stenosis, and if it isn't causing it, then what is?
    Thank you south. I have an appointment with my neurosurgeon next week. Hoping surgery is not needed. I'm only 51 and very active. I would rather have surgery and fix the problem than have to moderate all my activities . What do you think ?

Old 06-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #5
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

You may be a candidate for a C4-5 ACDF (anterior disk removal/fusion). I'd urge you to get three opinions...

Closed Thread