It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

T2 hyperintense anterior midline annular tear

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Cindy026
(female)

Cindy026 HB User
T2 hyperintense anterior midline annular tear

Hi,
I am new to this board, and actually new to back issues, I have a t2 hyperintense anterior midline annular tear which is wreaking havoc with my life. I have been in constant pain for the last 3 months. I am no stranger to injuries and pain as I have undergone numerous surgeries on both knees (payback for all my careless years of softball and volleyball). Has anyone else suffered through this issue? Right now it's becoming an emotional battle as well as physical. I have a primary who is supportive and willing (I hope) to help with pain management. I would rather hold off any procedures and encourage the healing process. I had a back Dr. Read my MRI and tell me I would probably have to live with the pain, then tell me a tear couldn't possibly cause the pain I'm in ( making me feel like I was making the symptoms up). I would appreciate stories, facts, opinions, whatever you have. If There is hope, any battle is worth fighting. Thank you so much

My grace is sufficient
for my power is made perfect in weakness

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
teteri66
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
Re: T2 hyperintense anterior midline annular tear

Sorry no one answered your post. I normally hang out on the back board and only check in here. It is a little confusing but the "Back Problems" board primarily deals with lumbar spine issues and this board is for those with cervical and thoracic issues.

You don't mention where your annular tear is located...so I will just comment in general.

First, did you see a fellowship-trained orthopedic spine surgeon or a neurosurgeon for an accurate diagnosis? Was there any other findings on the MRI? Usually when there is an annular tear, there are some other findings.

Second, I guess the doctor has never had an annular tear or doesn't do any research because he would know that "discogenic" pain can be every bit as bad, if not worse than radicular pain that might be coming from a herniated disc.

I would imagine that if you've had two bad knees from sports, you back has also seen more than just "wear and tear" through the years. Annular tears are often the result of injury.

To understand this issue, it helps to have some knowledge of the anatomy of the disc. Simply put, the disc is comprised of a central soft, gelatinous center
called the nucleus surrounded by a tougher, outer layer called the annulus fibrosis. The annulus surrounds the nucleus in layers, similar to a belted radial tire.

The nucleus and the inner layers of the annulus have no blood supply or nerve fibers. It is only the outer layers of the annulus that are supplied with many nerve fibers, and so are sensitive to pain. The annulus can rip in different layers and this can be the difference between having pain, or not...it just depends if the nucleus drips onto the outer layers where the nerve fibers are located. This results in a type of "chemical reaction" that results in inflammation at the site, and is what causes the pain when it comes in contact with the nerve fibers, called sinuvertebral nerves.

You need to treat this more aggressively than just having your primary prescribe meds. Going to physical therapy is the best way to address an annular tear. Treatments may consist of one or more of the following:

a course of physical therapy to strengthen the back and core muscles, treatments including massage, electrical stimulation, ultrasound, hydrotherapy and spinal realignment. You will be given exercises to do at home that will be beneficial and must be careful about going about your normal routine, some of which may be making the situation worse.

I hope you are still reading on the board and will see my post! Hope things are gradually getting better.

Closed Thread