It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Facet joint blocks - didn't work :(

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #1
    urmychesirecat
    (female)

urmychesirecat HB User
    Facet joint blocks - didn't work :(

Ok, so I had the upright MRI done. It showed there was severe inflammation, so much that it was causing almost constant muscle spasms. The inflammation is so severe that it was causing my spine to lose curvature. My ortho referred me to a neurosurgeon. At this point you could visually see a huge lump on my back right above my butt crack. The neuro confirmed what the ortho said and scheduled me to have 3 facet block injections done. They also stopped my PT as it wasnt helping and the neuro said the inflammation was so bad that it was probably just irratating it more. He did give me an rx for neurontin 200mg 2x day. I took it for about 10 days. It made me extremely tired, i would sleep like 6 hours everytime i took it. intially it seemed like it helped but after about a week i didnt see any more improvement. The neuro told me to stop taking it. I wondered if maybe he should have changed the dosing since it did seem like it was starting to help, but he told me to just stop taking it. They were at the the l 3/4, l 4/5 l5/s1. I had the procedure done last friday. Intially it seemed like they were going to work but after about 3 days the pain started coming back, then the swelling. The pain is more severe then ever, and the swelling is that the top of my butt crack is hidden under the swelling. The injection sites are still swollen and bruised. Also, the last few nights I have had tingling and slight numbness in my left foot (the side of the injury is the left.) Then, the numbness would stop and it feels like my foot is on fire, while my right foot is fine and a little cold. This lasts for hours when it happens. I have an appointment Monday to see my neuro again, as well as my PCP referred me to pain management (none of the doctors wants to keep writing my prescriptions for me.) My question is this. What would be the next step for them to take? I want to be prepared when I see the neuro on Monday. I did have an emg done, which showed normal findings, should i ask to have another one done? Would it be beneficial to have a ct scan done? I am just getting so frustrated, and i dont want to go to pain management and just give me a bunch of pills and that be it. I mean i need the medicine right now, but i want them to actually figure out what is wrong, and fix it. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User
    Re: Facet joint blocks - didn't work :(

Hi there & I hope you find some kind of relief for your pain...
    I first went to a PM that my PCP referred me to & he did the following as well. I had the injections done to my facet joints in the cervical area. They did not help either.
    So the PM sent me to an Ortho & he sent me for a myleogram. Then to a Neuro just to check with him for surgery set up.
    With my first Neuro he sent me for an EMG as well & just went off his report instead of actually looking at the MRI himself. The EMG said this as well: showed little resistance as well & that carpal tunnel.. Boy was he wrong!
    To get back to the Ortho & Neuro... I had a 5 level ACDF & PCF back in April. Because the Ct/Myelogram was so bad.
    I am still on the Neurontin everyday as well for the tingling & such. That medicine will make you very tired & sleepy when you first take it. You probably should have been told to give it 30 days or so to see how well it does for you. I know it did take a while for me to get used to the effects of being tired & such. I am on a way higher dose than you. My PCP put me on it & built me up to my current level as well... It was like 200mg once a day for a week, then bumped it up to 300 or 400 mg for another week or so & so on.

As far as the lumps & swelling at your injection sites. They might have hit your muscles at a certain point & caused them to be inflamed...
    and with the fire & pain you are feeling that also could be a good sign that the cord & nerves are being pressed/squeezed upon.

I know you have a lot of questions for your Neuro & want to be as informed as possible too. You could start off with can you show me on the MRI where I am having these symptoms? Also with the injections not helping after 2-3 days what is next in the process for us to try & solve this pain & such.
    If the Neuro or Ortho both don't suggest or send you for a CT/Myelogram maybe you should bring it up as well.
    The Myelogran is where dye is injectes into your spinal canal just like a lumbar puncture(Yes, they can be painful) then a series of CT's are taken very quickly before the dye has a chance to escape the area being taken of.
    When I had mine done I did know what to expect because I went through a series of tests when I first started having pain, tingling & such.

Best of Luck there & keep us updated on where you are at on your progress.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
    urmychesirecat
    (female)

urmychesirecat HB User

Thank you for your reply. I have already been to see an ortho, he was the one who referred me to my neuro. They did show me the MRI. I just wonder, for it to be that inflammed after this amount of time, I would think something is causing it to be that inflammed. That is what I want to know. And it seems like none of the doctors want to figure out the why. I dont know I may just be getting frustrated after so much time. Anyway, I see the Neuro tomorrow and PM on Wednesday, I will definitely give an update tomorrow!

Old 06-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Have you been to a rheumatologist to check to see if you have one of the rheumatic arthritises? Perhaps that might explain all the inflammation...?

Old 06-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
    urmychesirecat
    (female)

urmychesirecat HB User

No I haven't. Before the accident I didn't have any health problems and am fairly young. I have no idea what kind of doctors I need to see. At first I was just doing whatever the doctor was saying. Then I started getting frustrated that it wasn't getting better and starting trying to learn as much as I can. A form of RA did cross my mind, the only thing is I dont know why it would just pop up after the accident.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #6
    urmychesirecat
    (female)

urmychesirecat HB User

Ok so quick update after my visit with the neurosurgeon. He basically said he doesn't know what is wrong. Obviously something is, but he doesn't know what. He referred me to pain management so they can be in charge of my prescriptions and to a neurologist. He said the neurologist would do another EMG, some blood tests, and some additional testing. He said the guy he was referring me to was very good at figuring things out. I am getting more frustrated at this point, but appreciated when he told me "Something is causing the inflammation. We need to figure out the why. I think a neurologist will be able to help you with the why.". I see pain management on Wednesday. Still waiting to hear from the neurologist he referred me to, not sure if they take my insurance or not.

I kinda figured this was how the appoinment was going to go.
    I am just glad he didnt write me off as faking it (as so many other doctors have) and seemed genuinely concerned with getting me back to good.

I will give another update when I know more.

The Following User Says Thank You to urmychesirecat For This Useful Post:
    roadiez (06-11-2013)
    Closed Thread