It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 5 year old w/Syrinx

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
    tj994
    (female)

tj994 HB User
    5 year old w/Syrinx

Hi everyone, new here! My 5 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with a Syrinx. She also has Juvenile Arthritis and Uveitis, and was having back, shoulder, neck and hip pain so an MRI was done on her lower lumber first, this is when the syrinx was found. The pain is not from her Arthritis. Her Rheumatologist is concerned because she is having symptoms from the Syrinx. We meet next week with an Orthopedic Spinal Surgeon. I am very nervous, I do not know much, not even where in her spine it is located. I am assuming her lower lumbar as that is where the MRI was. Can anyone shed some insight? I am so scared for her, and that surgery may be in our future, especially since she is having pain. (not daily...but sporadically) My little girl has been through so much, and this on top of everything is just heart breaking. Any help is so very appreciated! Thank you so much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2013, 10:40 PM   #2
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User
    Re: 5 year old w/Syrinx

Welcome to the board. I am sorry to learn of your daughter's problems. Please keep in mind that we are not physicians and most of us have no formal medical training. I may be wrong here but I am under the impression that the syrinx is a fluid-filled cyst in the spinal cord that is usually located in the cervical spinal area. Technically the spinal cord ends at the L1 level in most people, so by definition, it should be above the lumbar area. Sometimes they are present at birth.

Over time, the cyst may enlarge, damaging the spinal cord and causing pain, weakness and stiffness, among other symptoms. It can be watched until it begins to press into the nerves contained within the spinal cord. Then more aggressive treatment may be necessary to keep permanent nerve damage from happening.

If at all possible, particularly if surgery is necessary, I strongly suggest you go to a pediatric hospital and have a pediatric spine surgeon handle your daughter's case.

Closed Thread