It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Concerned about upcoming ACDF and sleep apnea

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
    ifeelyurpain
    (female)

ifeelyurpain HB User
    Concerned about upcoming ACDF and sleep apnea

I am scheduled for a one level ACDF (C4 C5) for July 11. My surgeon is doing the newer minimally invasive technique using a microscope. This group of neurosurgeons has their own fairly new outpatient surgical center. He assured me it would be much nicer, safer and cleaner than a standard hospital.

However...... they only keep you there for a few hours after surgery and if everything is okay they send you home. My fear is that I have moderate to severe sleep apnea and afraid I will get home (an hour away) and have trouble breathing. Also I live in a very small town with a 'not so great' hospital and surely don't want to have to go there with a dire emergency.

Out of all the long list of health questions I answered at my doctor appt. there was not one single question on there regarding sleep apnea. Seems strange as I would certainly think that is important to know due to all the narcotics and anesthesia that are administered during surgery and it can adversely affect your breathing for hours if not days after.

Has anyone else with sleep apnea had this surgery done as outpatient?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
    VinG
    (male)

VinG HB UserVinG HB UserVinG HB UserVinG HB User
    Re: Concerned about upcoming ACDF and sleep apnea

I have a physical disabilty (I use a wheelchair) and I have severe apnea (not a high pressure on CPAP, but high # of episodes). I had 3 level ACDF last year at the best ortho hospital in the USA in NYC. Please keep in mind my situation is MUCH worse/different than yours.... My surgeon asked an ENT to be in the OR, and they kept me asleep, on a breathing tube, for 3 days, because of swelling. They pulled out all the stops. When I finally woke up, they quickly gave me a CPAP because of the narcotics. I'm not sharing this with you to scare you, only to tell you that you should be aware that it could be an issue. However, with 1 level ACDF, it most likely won't be. Ask your doctor, don't be shy. Now that apnea is "real", surgeons and anesthisiologists are concerned/ My guess is they wil keep you a few etra hours in recovery. Also, use your CPAP when you take pain killers.

- Vin

Old 07-02-2013, 06:59 AM   #3
    skeeter25
    (male)

skeeter25 HB User

ifeelyurpain

I don't know too much about sleep apnea but I'm very curious about the microscopic procedure you mentioned for your one level ACDF. Is there any information you can provide on that?

I can also tell you this. When I saw my first neurosurgeon, he was talking about doing one level (it now may be 2....long story) and even though it would be the "standard" anterior approach (1 1/2" scar etc.), he said it would be outpatient day surgery done in one of those "surgery centers", not a hospital. So I can certainly see a less invasive technique as you seem to be having also being day surgery. I would think as long as you mention your concern maybe they can keep you a little longer after you come out of the anesthesia before cutting you loose?

I wish you the best of luck and please keep us posted. I'm sure it will go well.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
    ifeelyurpain
    (female)

ifeelyurpain HB User

Hi Skeeter,

Yes I am going to an outpatient surgical center. My procedure is done with a small incision....they use a microscope for zooming in on the disc for accuracy since they are not opening you up very wide. Mine is one level and he said it would only take about 45 minutes to an hour. My doc said the surgical center is much better than a hospital due to cleanliness and less chance of those hideous infections. Also their staff is specially trained for dealing with patients having spinal surgeries. The recovery from the minimally invasive procedure is suppose to be quicker with fewer restrictions as well. (I can only hope)!! And my doctor doesn't use collars.

I talked with the anesthesiologist the other day and she said that they would pay for me to stay in a hotel for the night if it makes me feel more comfortable. (I live an hour away in a small town). So I think that's the route I'm going to take just so I'll be near a decent ER if complications arise during the night. She did an EKG and everything was fine. The group of neurosurgeons I'm going to are excellent doctors with a good reputation and are board certified/ fellowship trained.

I wish you the best with your surgery, too .....do you have a date for it yet?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
    skeeter25
    (male)

skeeter25 HB User

Hi ifeelyurpain

That technique sounds very promising and about as "non-invasive" as it could get! And the surgeons/staff sound wonderful too.

I haven't scheduled mine yet, on the fence. I just posted here on it if you want to bore yourself lol. I think being in limbo is the worst part of all this....

Closed Thread