It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Preparing for Cervical Fusion

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2013, 05:55 AM   #1
lockedneckmnstr
(male)

lockedneckmnstr HB User
Preparing for Cervical Fusion

Hello,

I am scheduled for this surgery next month. I have limited arm pain but a lot of pain at the posterior area where the C7-T1 disc would be if you drilled a hole while I layed flat. i am told I need a 2 level c5-7. I had a slight bulge in 2006 when I had a minor injury and treated with pain management 1x per year then was in an auto accident in 2011 - the cervical situation became worse and I developed daily chronic headaches as well as migraine.

I was reading you cannot use nsaids after this surgery and they are all I have to battle the headaches. What then?

Anyone have headaches alon with their neck issues and did a fusion help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2013, 08:23 AM   #2
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Preparing for Cervical Fusion

I think the fusion will help the headaches after healing from the surgery, and you will have pain meds for the post op period, so no worries. I had a fusion several years ago, anterior incision, and found it to be not too bad. The stiff collar is a pain in the neck (no pun intended), but overall, it was less painful than other things I've been through, like sinus, back surgery and childbirth. Hopefully, you will graduate to the soft collar quickly and that is more comfortable. It is never fun, but in the long run, you'll be much more comfortable. Next time you buy a car, get one with back up camera, as turning your neck very far will be limited somewhat.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
lockedneckmnstr (06-26-2013)
Old 06-19-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
ifeelyurpain
(female)

ifeelyurpain HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedneckmnstr View Post
Hello,

I am scheduled for this surgery next month. I have limited arm pain but a lot of pain at the posterior area where the C7-T1 disc would be if you drilled a hole while I layed flat. i am told I need a 2 level c5-7. I had a slight bulge in 2006 when I had a minor injury and treated with pain management 1x per year then was in an auto accident in 2011 - the cervical situation became worse and I developed daily chronic headaches as well as migraine.

I was reading you cannot use nsaids after this surgery and they are all I have to battle the headaches. What then?

Anyone have headaches alon with their neck issues and did a fusion help?
Hi there....love your screen name! I am having fusion on C4 C5 next month and yes its true you cannot take nsaids for quite awhile as they interfere with the fusion process.... but as ladybud said you will be given pain meds. Hopefully the surgery will give you some relief. I've been lucky not to have migraines but sometimes nagging, tight headaches around the base of my skull..... I'm sure they're related to my neck problems.

....my doctor doesn't use collars at all. He's doing the minimally invasive procedure and the healing is said to be quicker (I can only hope)!! All doctors are different though, and I'm sure some still use them as an added precaution. Many doctors believe however, if you use the collar your neck muscles will weaken and that's not a good thing.

Anyway....I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 AM   #4
nochange
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Another one who had a whiplash, incredible!

Old 06-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #5
lockedneckmnstr
(male)

lockedneckmnstr HB User

Thanks for all the replies. I am wondering if the fusion will cause more problems in the future. I keep hearing about the domino effect and as far as I know the disc above and below the 2 levels the doc want to repair are fine. What loss of range did you lose ladybug?? nnormally you should be able to put your chin just about above your shoulder blade if you have full neck range left or right and tilt back 90 degrees and down chin to chest. What are you able to do now

Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #6
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I probably lost about 20% of my neck ROM, but I couldn't tolerate the pain by the time I had my fusion. I'd rather have some limitation in motion than pain daily. It hasn't been a big deal for me. If your pain isn't constant or severe, you could wait, but it will probably worsen with time.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
nochange
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Is there any known treatment for loss of ROM?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
nochange
Senior Veteran
(female)

Is there any known treatment for loss ROM?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:54 PM   #9
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

PT can often help, plus you figure out ways to compensate for it by just moving your body a little more. The only real difficulty it causes me is trying to turn my head around when backing up or parallel parking. I have a vehicle with a backup camera and have learned to use my mirrors more.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:48 AM   #10
nochange
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks. I didn't do a neck surgery. I feel like I have loss of ROM.

It all caused by a whiplash. I have done physical therapy and it did nothing for this loss of ROM. So I was wondering, what do you know about whiplash and loss of ROM caused by it? also, remember, I didn't do a neck surgery...

What do you think? I hate this loss of ROM......Now that I am feeling much better cause I am on Lyrica and really, almost no pain!...I am starting to see what can be done on loss of ROM.

Thanks in advance.

P.S do you have any idea why I have loss of ROM (considering the fact I didn't have a neck surgery?).

Last edited by nochange; 06-27-2013 at 02:49 AM.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #11
ladybud
Senior Veteran
(female)

Whiplash injuries usually result in muscle spasm which may become chronic. A muscle relaxant can help with that, plus heat and massage. Early on, antiinflammatories are used as well and worth a try even later. Muscle relaxants will potentiate the drowsiness side effects of Lyrica, so be careful if you get a prescription for one to try it when you don't have to drive or function at work, until you see how it affects you. Muscle relaxants are often used post fusion as well to combat spasm and pain.

Last edited by ladybud; 06-27-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: added last sentence

Closed Thread