It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Anyone taking Gabapentin with this side effect?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #1
    Nana8
    (female)

Nana8 HB User
    Question Anyone taking Gabapentin with this side effect?

Hi, I have been reading this forum for a very long time. I have been on Gabapentin since October 2011. I injured my neck January 2011. Lost the use of my left arm. Had C6-C7 acdf September 2012, fell 3 weeks later due to ataxa that came on after the surgery. X-ray showed everything in place, Cervical MRI showed C5 disk herniated minimally. For the last couple of months I've been losing sensation feeling in my hands sometimes up to my elbows. It goes to one side and the other or both at the same time. My doctor thinks it's a side effect of Gabapentin and my gut says it's not it. Has anyone heard of this side effect? I have not found this loss of sensation as a side effect in my research.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-28-2013, 04:30 AM   #2
    bshorter30
    (female)

bshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB User
    Re: Anyone taking Gabapentin with this side effect?

Hello Nana8,

I take Gabapentin 300 mg twice daily for nerve damage in my foot from multiple surgerys. I also have a herneiated disc at C5-C6. My right arm in numb from my shoulder on the top to my thumb , it goes to my inner part of my elbow. Then it goes on my forearm to my thumb. I have also developed tingling in both arms now. Your symptoms might be from the meds but my unprofessional opinion is it might be from your herneiation.

Ankle replacement to come soon

Last edited by bshorter30; 06-28-2013 at 08:49 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to bshorter30 For This Useful Post:
    Nana8 (06-29-2013)
    Old 06-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi could you back down on the dosage a bit see if it makes a differance? Cathy

Old 06-28-2013, 08:38 AM   #4
    Nana8
    (female)

Nana8 HB User

I have lowered my dosage of 1000 mg to 700. I take 100 mg every 3-4 hours in daytime. It seems the more I use my hands, the heavier they feel.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #5
    bshorter30
    (female)

bshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB Userbshorter30 HB User

I have never have side affects from it but I do know people who have. Have you though of trying a different type of nerve medication like lyrica?

Old 06-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #6
    Nana8
    (female)

Nana8 HB User

I've tried Lyrica and Cymbalta and neither helped and they both affected my eyes. Gabapentin was the only med that helps make the nerve issues bearable.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hey there is another one out there I take topomax it has side effects at first but you must start at 25mg work up every two weeks or so. One good side effect is weight loss. Cathy

Old 06-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
    bshorter30
    (female)

Hey I need to try that

Old 06-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
    Nana8
    (female)

Nana8 HB User

Hey, I will ask my doctor about that one. I sure could use the weight loss side effect.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #10
    teteri66
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

Usually when pain moves from one side to the other and back, it is an indication of instability. I've never heard of gabapentin causing this symptom and it doesn't make sense that it would affect one side, then the other.

Also since you've been on gabapentin for several years, it seems odd that you would just develop this side effect now. I think it is much more likely an issue with that disc.

Have you looked at a dermatome map to see the path of the C5 nerve? It does not run into the hand...but C6 and C7 do.

The Following User Says Thank You to teteri66 For This Useful Post:
    Nana8 (06-29-2013)
    Old 06-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #11
    Nana8
    (female)

Nana8 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teteri66 View Post
    Usually when pain moves from one side to the other and back, it is an indication of instability. I've never heard of gabapentin causing this symptom and it doesn't make sense that it would affect one side, then the other.

Also since you've been on gabapentin for several years, it seems odd that you would just develop this side effect now. I think it is much more likely an issue with that disc.

Have you looked at a dermatome map to see the path of the C5 nerve? It does not run into the hand...but C6 and C7 do.
    I don't have a disc at C6-C7 so does this mean my fusion is not stable? Looks like I will have to get a referral to see neurosurgeon about this. Or could it be damaged nerves? Before surgery, doctors told me it wouldn't get worse then after surgery, neuro said I should have had surgery within 30 days of injury for a full recovery. Apparently MRI didn't catch that the disc was fragmented and pushing into my spine. I seen 4 different neurosurgeon, 1 rehab doctor and 6+ IME doctors prior to surgery and none of them caught it.

Thank you all for your opinions!

Old 06-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

I take 2400 of Gab everyday... It has helped with the tingling rather than cause it. If I don't take the medicine I will get tingling anywhere from my face & head region to elsewhere as well. Although I have been on Gabapentin for a while now it has not stopped the tingling on the following: Hands, arms, legs, or feet.... Wish it would though. I have never heard of side effects after a few years on being on the Rx. But who knows?

Old 07-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #13
    Natalie1964
    (female)

Natalie1964 HB User

Hello, I took Gab for over a year after I fell at my job and hurt my neck, left shoulder and lower back, never heard of a side effect like that and I too was on a high dose, they started me out on a low dose and slowly increased it but I never had a problem, I would say its more likely the herniated disc hope this helps
    Natalie

Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #14
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Hi I reread your post this am and got to thinking that maybe you should have a emg done on your arms just to see if there's nerve problems. I'd ask the dr. Cathy

Old 07-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #15
    Nana8
    (female)

Nana8 HB User

I see my doctor on Thursday so will see if I can get an emg approved.

Closed Thread