It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• 1 year post L3-S1 ALIF PLIF now neck pain

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
    Donna0645
    (female)

Donna0645 HB User
    1 year post L3-S1 ALIF PLIF now neck pain

I am new to the board and am now one year out from lumbar fusion. I am a very physical person and a Personal Trainer as well. My low back pain has all but disappeared however neck and shoulder pain,stiffness and numbness are very concerning !!! I am currently treating with acupuncture and muscle relaxers. I also am a chronic migraine sufferer and believe this is partially being caused by cervicle issues. Anyone else experiencing similar issues ???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User
    Re: 1 year post L3-S1 ALIF PLIF now neck pain

I too suffer from migraine headaches.
    I have found that after my double fusions I am suffering less frequent migraines as well.

Last edited by Administrator; 08-02-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Yes, unfortunately the same disease process that degenerates the low back does the same to the neck. You need to have at least xrays, preferrably an MRI of neck, to check the discs and alignment of vertebrae. If DJD is present, it could be contributing to migraines. Anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants can help along with migraine meds as needed. I would tolerate it if you can, but may need neck surgery in time if discs are really bad or spondylolisthesis is present.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    curiouscat02 (07-25-2013),Donna0645 (08-03-2013)
    Old 07-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
    curiouscat02
    (female)

curiouscat02 HB User

It is so good to hear of someone's low back pain disappearing after lumbar fusion. Many don't have that result.
    I have terrible pain when I walk more than two minutes or stand for about three. Diagnosed spondylolisthesis, stenosis on two levels, some scoliosis and plenty of sciatica down the left leg into the foot and toes. I have played tennis for years and now also have
    rumblings at the base of my neck.
    Do you do any form of exercise after fusion? I am having a myelogram tomorrow to determine more accurately after the MRI a month ago. I am freaking out over all this, and find it so comforting to read your post and others with similar problems. I do not tolerate
    any form of anesthesia and get a migraine at the drop of a hat--lasts for many many hours.
    So needless to say I am dreading a spinal headache and nausea after the procedure. Drinking fluids every half hour. That's all I can do except worry. And I know that does no good at all.

The following user gives a hug of support to curiouscat02:
    Donna0645 (08-03-2013)
    Old 08-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #5
    Donna0645
    (female)

Donna0645 HB User

thanks for reply wishing you the best laying here in major neck pain now!!!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
    Donna0645
    (female)

Donna0645 HB User

Thanks for your feedback. I was thinking The neck should be looked at as well. I can hardly turn my neck most days. That's why I was worried about cervicle discs involved. Thanks again lady bud
    D

Old 08-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
    Donna0645
    (female)

Donna0645 HB User

Thanks for your feedback. I was thinking The neck should be looked at as well. I can hardly turn my neck most days. That's why I was worried about cervicle discs involved. Thanks again lady bud
    D

Old 08-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #8
    roadiez
    (male)

roadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB Userroadiez HB User

I hope you're doing better these days.. I know it will take a while.
    I had to go this week to recertify for my DOT physical. Man was I hurting after that on Tuesday!
    My PCP had me turn left, right then up & down... He seemed happy with it.
    Then he proceeded to do the same himself! That's where the hurt kicked in. He actually lined my chin up with my shoulders. Then to beat it all he only certified me for 1 year instead of the standard 2. Oh well glad I got the CDL back & I hope to get a driving job soon. I did apply for SSI Disability. Got turned down as usual the 1st time. But can't really afford to stay off much longer.
    I did have a bad spout of migraines this past weekend for about 3-4 days as well. I wanted to go to the ER several times. But without health insurance that would be an expected $1000 bill real quick. Luckily I had plenty of pain pills to go through it. I know I went through 5-6 a day just like the neck pain this past week.
    So long story short watch what you do & be careful. I see that you said that you're in fairly good shape & such. But watch what you do & try not to over do it.
    Best wishes
    PR

Old 08-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #9
    Donna0645
    (female)

Donna0645 HB User

This is all pretty scary. My mother is 87 has had several surgeries and is still in pain. I am grateful I had surgery but the future frightens me a bit. Every time I am real active I live in pain. I am such a physical person and toning that down hurts my soul. Every healthcare provider I have acupuncturist , MD always tell me to back off. My happiness is in sports and fitness. I need to find my middle ground. I hear you about try not to overdo it. If I created an injury I would freak. I'm listening. So sorry about your pain and migraines. I too had several days of them. Best to you!
    Take care,
    D

Old 08-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
    Donna0645
    (female)

Donna0645 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by curiouscat02 View Post
    It is so good to hear of someone's low back pain disappearing after lumbar fusion. Many don't have that result.
    I have terrible pain when I walk more than two minutes or stand for about three. Diagnosed spondylolisthesis, stenosis on two levels, some scoliosis and plenty of sciatica down the left leg into the foot and toes. I have played tennis for years and now also have
    rumblings at the base of my neck.
    Do you do any form of exercise after fusion? I am having a myelogram tomorrow to determine more accurately after the MRI a month ago. I am freaking out over all this, and find it so comforting to read your post and others with similar problems. I do not tolerate
    any form of anesthesia and get a migraine at the drop of a hat--lasts for many many hours.
    So needless to say I am dreading a spinal headache and nausea after the procedure. Drinking fluids every half hour. That's all I can do except worry. And I know that does no good at all.
    I do core exercises. Planks,bridges,RIP60 upper body excecises that involve core. Please keep me posted,sending you so much healing energy and hope.
    D

Old 08-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #11
    BackinWA
    (female)

BackinWA HB User

Hi. New here. Contemplating fusion in my lumbar area due to worsening scoliosis. I too am very active, and fit. I do take at least one pain pill a day. Should I get surgery? I have 30 degree curve in my lower region, a 19 degree in my upper. Sciatic and leg, extreme low back pain are a regular part of my life. I wonder if I should just live with this and think 'I am not really that bad off' or go through with surgery.

I do hope you are better. I do completely understand about being happiest when you're out and about.

Cheers,
    Shannon

Old 08-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
    BackinWA
    (female)

BackinWA HB User

Hi. New here. Contemplating fusion in my lumbar area due to worsening scoliosis. I too am very active, and fit. I do take at least one pain pill a day. Should I get surgery? I have 30 degree curve in my lower region, a 19 degree in my upper. Sciatic and leg, extreme low back pain are a regular part of my life. I wonder if I should just live with this and think 'I am not really that bad off' or go through with surgery.

I do hope you are better. I do completely understand about being happiest when you're out and about.

Cheers,
    Shannon

Closed Thread