It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Help with my MRI results

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
    laura321
    (female)

laura321 HB User
    Unhappy Help with my MRI results

Looking for a bit of help. I have a pain level of 7 to 9 on a daily basis. The once a day Aleve dulls it to a 5/6 but nothing ever gets it lowered. Any help/advice would be wonderful. I should also include that my doctor did NOT explain this report to me except to say "I see why you have pain, now I will refer you to Dr (So'n'So) for pain management". Very frustrating. So I just need someone who is knowledgeable to please tell me what all this means, step by step if at all possibly. Thank you in advance, it is very much appreciated.

MRI SPINE CERVICAL WO CONTRAST
    Reason for Exam: CERVICAL PAIN,SYNCOPE

TECHNIQUE: Axial and sagittal T2 weighted, sagittal T1 weighted and STIR and axial gradient echo T2-like images were obtained of the cervical spine.

FINDINGS: The spine is visualized from the posterior fossa through T2. The included posterior fossa structures and spinal cord are normal in signal intensity. There are no intradural masses. The left thyroid lobe is absent. There is reversal of the normal cervical lordosis. There is no fracture or spondylolisthesis. No pathologic bone marrow signal intensity is identified.

At C4-5, there may be mild annular bulge or end plate spurring toward the left. This causes slight flattening of the left anterior aspect of the thecal sac. There is no foraminal stenosis.

At C5-6, there is disc space narrowing and a central disc protrusion that causes mass effect and posterior displacement on the cord. There are no foraminal stenoses.

At C6-7, there is disc space narrowing with a central disc protrusion and left end plate and uncovertebral spurring. There is mild central canal stenosis. The right foramen is widely patent. There is mild to moderate left foraminal stenosis.

IMPRESSION:
    1. Reversal of the normal cervical lordosis from C5 through C7, apparently related to degenerative disc disease or positioning.

2. Degenerative changes at C5-6 and C6-7 with central canal stenosis. There is greater mass effect on the cord at C5-6. There is no evidence of myelomalacia or cord edema.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Help with my MRI results

I suppose you mean that the pain is in your neck? Any other symptoms in arms or legs?

Your C5-6 disk is bulging back far enough to bend the spinal cord backwards. That SHOULD require a pretty big disk bulge, UNLESS your spinal canal is too narrow to start out with (a not terribly uncommon condition called hereditary spinal stenosis).

At C6-7 you also have a disk bulge, but you in addition you have osteophytes (bone spurs) growing off the vertebra-disk interface and into the left foramen, which is the opening through which the spinal nerve passes on its way down to your index and middle fingers. "Mild" would mean "don't worry about" while "moderate" might mean "not a problem, YET".

I suppose that if your ONLY symptoms are neck pain, then pain management might be the way to go. I would only caution about getting "stuck" in pain management and not reacting promptly if your spinal symptoms deteriorate....

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    laura321 (08-11-2013)
    Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #3
    laura321
    (female)

laura321 HB User

Thank you for your help. You have given me more information than my doctor has. The pain is in my neck primarily. I also have daily chronic headaches as well as numbness down my right arm to my fingers. We have tried physical therapy which does nothing and I refuse to take narcotic pain medicine because most of the time it makes me sick. Not to mention that because my pain is daily, if I were to opt in for medication, I could easily see me taking it every single day which of course is not good either.

I do appreciate your information and am very grateful you responded.

Laura

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WebDozer View Post
    I suppose you mean that the pain is in your neck? Any other symptoms in arms or legs?

Your C5-6 disk is bulging back far enough to bend the spinal cord backwards. That SHOULD require a pretty big disk bulge, UNLESS your spinal canal is too narrow to start out with (a not terribly uncommon condition called hereditary spinal stenosis).

At C6-7 you also have a disk bulge, but you in addition you have osteophytes (bone spurs) growing off the vertebra-disk interface and into the left foramen, which is the opening through which the spinal nerve passes on its way down to your index and middle fingers. "Mild" would mean "don't worry about" while "moderate" might mean "not a problem, YET".

I suppose that if your ONLY symptoms are neck pain, then pain management might be the way to go. I would only caution about getting "stuck" in pain management and not reacting promptly if your spinal symptoms deteriorate....

Last edited by laura321; 08-11-2013 at 04:13 PM.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #4
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

OK... I don't see anything in your report that correlates to problems down your right arm, I'm afraid. Unfortunately, lots of things can cause headaches. I hope you get to the bottom of it...

Closed Thread

Tags
    cervical spine pain, degenerative disc disease, mri results