It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• question please very important, please someone help me

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-11-2013, 07:54 AM   #1
    pashie
    (female)

pashie HB Userpashie HB User
    question please very important, please someone help me

Did your surgeon tell you how many layers he was going to fuse by ACDF or posterior cervical fusion in c1 thru 7 neck?
    I have instability at c2 c3 and thought he would say c2 and c3 and maybe c4 but he said maybe once he gets in there he may have to do down to c7.
    This scares me. Don't they know from the MRI and the many tests I had what the plan is. Thanks jinky

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: question please very important,please someone help me

An ACDF from C2-7 would cost you nearly all your range of motion. I don't know how much effect a posterior fusion would have.

Still, leaving it up to the surgeon to make such a drastic decision - WHILE YOU'RE UNCONSCIOUS.... I personally would not do that.

Last edited by WebDozer; 08-11-2013 at 09:08 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to WebDozer For This Useful Post:
    pashie (08-31-2013)
    Old 08-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

Pashie, I went back and looked at the MRI results you posted last December. I have no idea why a surgeon would want to go below C2-3, at least not based on the report.

With all due respect, I think you need to get more opinions, even if it means going outside Nova Scotia....

Old 08-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
    pashie
    (female)

my friend who went with me said the doctor said he will only do what he has to do....don't know what he meant....I sent him a e-mail and hope to hear back next week......can you comb your hair and can you sleep on your side with a collar? thanks jinky

Old 08-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

<< can you comb your hair and can you sleep on your side with a collar? >>

I don't see why not, although you may not WANT to sleep on your side...

Old 08-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #6
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I would be very nervous about such a loose agreement and wide open plan like that. You only want fusion at the level of disease, where symptoms originate. I would want a new MRI to detect any changes since last Dec., and would definitely see another neurosurgeon who doesn't want carte blanche freedom to fuse your entire neck without objective reason. You could be in for a lifetime of difficulty if he did that! I would also check with the Board of Medicine to see if he has had complaints registered against him. His suggestion sounds way outside the standard of care.

The following user gives a hug of support to ladybud:
    pashie (08-31-2013)
    The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
    Pac331 (08-22-2013),pashie (08-31-2013)
    Old 08-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #7
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi yes I would get another opinion making sure its a good. Dr maybe being referred by a friend or looking online at the hospital seeing if the dr is head of the dept then checking their credentials.

I'd get another mri and take the previous one with me so they can compare the two. Best of luck let us know whats going on. Cathy

Old 08-12-2013, 05:14 AM   #8
    pashie
    (female)

I called his office and he is out until Sept 3.......I hear what you are saying and I agree with you. Maybe I misunderstood what he was saying but I am not letting him go down to 7.....2/3 is instability. thank you. carol

Old 08-12-2013, 05:38 AM   #9
    pashie
    (female)

He also said he doesn't know if I would be able to drive or not. you know the pain isn't as bad and I can stand it. also the first visit he said I would be paralazed without surgery.....this last visit he said I won't be paralazed but wouldn't get weakness and pins and needles and numbness in my arms and legs....also said I can't tell you to have it or not.....I am thinking of canceling. I go see my family doctor wed.....thanks carol
    ps I don't feel comfortable with him as he doesn't have a plan.....I cancelled...thank you very much. carol

Last edited by pashie; 08-12-2013 at 07:12 AM.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:30 AM   #10
    ladybud
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Good, it seems this Dr was being rather dramatic and predicting unpredictable things, like he was trying to frighten you into surgery. It is very important to feel trust and comfort with any surgeon who is going to operate on you.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
    pashie
    (female)

You are so right .Just found out that I can get second opinion but think I will wait to see how I feel....
    for awhile.......the pain isn't as bad and comes and goes. What do you think? Was not comfortable.I am 72 and my hubby passed away over 2 yrs ago. thanks hugs carol.

Last edited by pashie; 08-12-2013 at 10:23 AM.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:31 AM   #12
    noevr
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi sometimes it takes a while to get in to see someone. Then once you do they have to order tests and you know how long that takes.

Also not jinxing here but you never know when things will flare up. I just don't want you to suffer in pain. Cathy

The following user gives a hug of support to noevr:
    pashie (08-31-2013)
    The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
    pashie (08-31-2013)
    Old 08-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #13
    pashie
    (female)

will talk to family doctor Wednesday if she thinks I should wait awhile or try to get in....know if symptoms get worse I can go right to Halifax.....thanks for your help.....hugs carol

Old 08-13-2013, 06:03 AM   #14
    pashie
    (female)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by noevr View Post
    Hi sometimes it takes a while to get in to see someone. Then once you do they have to order tests and you know how long that takes.

Also not jinxing here but you never know when things will flare up. I just don't want you to suffer in pain. Cathy
    good thinking.....talk to doctor about getting a 2nd opinion...thanks so much....carol

Old 08-13-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
    pashie
    (female)

My dr. comes back from vacation the end of the month and I will ask for a second opinion for sure....will keep you up to date.......carol

Closed Thread