It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Cervical disc and Going down this road again

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-16-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
BDA66
(female)

BDA66 HB User
Cervical disc and Going down this road again

After Myelogram, report impression states: 1.Evidence of extensive surgery is noted with fusion of the vertebral bodies and uncovertebral joints at C4 through C7 with reversal of lordosis through this region. Fusion at the C3-C4 vertebral body level may have been attempted,but is unclear whether complete bone union has been accomplished or whether there may be residual motion at this level. 2.Mild spinal stenosis is seen at C2-C3 and C3-C4. This may cause very mild impingement of the spinal cord. 3. Neural foraminal narrowing is seen to cause significat impingement of the exiting left C3, Bilateral C4 and C5, Right C6, and Bilateral C8 Nerve roots.
I have had to have 3 fusions done first to C5-C6, then C6-C7 and then what I thought between C3 and C4. I started experiencing shoulder pain which would go between my lower neck and right shoulder. It has gotten worse and my left should and neck have started the same problem. I see the doctor in a week but am concerned about the reading of the Myelogram. What type of corrections can be made now to fix the problems? Need advice asap

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-17-2013, 11:27 AM   #2
WebDozer
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Cervical disc and Going down this road again

This is a little confusing. Actually, it's not just confusing, it's a really lousy write-up. Makes me wonder if the radiologist has a clue. I don't understand why he'd wonder if fusion had been "attempted" at C3-4. If it had been, wouldn't the hardware for holding the disks together still be there?

He says there is "significant impingement" of the left C3, then goes on to list seven other nerves. Does he mean that ALL EIGHT nerves have significant impingement? WHAT, exactly is the cause of the impingement/narrowing? It's not as though that doesn't matter.

I hope the doc that you're going to is going to read the images himself, because the radiologist didn't do you much good.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
BDA66
(female)

BDA66 HB User

In 1983 I had the first fusion done between C5 and C6, a bone graft was used off my right hip. In 1985 I ended up with a fusion at C6 and C7, a donor bone was used since they questioned my own bones (which after a test showed they were fine). I ended up in 1997 on having another fusion which I thought was C3 to C4 until a year and half ago. I started having problems with my right shoulder and thought I tore a rotator cuff, saw a doctor, waste of time he gave me a shot and sent me on my way. Think my age had something to do with it. After that shot, of course it covered up the pain, I ended up getting a very bad sinus infection that lasted 3 to 4 months and I was put on steriods and antibiotics. Which of course covered up the arm pain and it was doable up until about a year ago. Now the problems are in both arms from my neck down to my elbows, loss of feeling in right arm and numbness in left hand. Finally got a referral to a doctor and a myelogram done since xrays and MRI would not show clear enough due to damage. I do not have hardware from any of the fusions. At that time I assume the way they fixed them is added the new bone after removal of disc not sure how it was held in place but I do no there is no hardware. I am also confused about the report from the myelogram. I have to assume they sent the doctor the pictures (disc) of my myelogram and he will read them. It has taken me a year to get in to see this doctor so I hope from all I have read and heard and talked to some of his other patient that he is excellent in this type of problem. Will find out next week I hope, I have already tried theraphy and was told they felt like I had an impingment in the shoulder area. Thanks for the reply

Last edited by BDA66; 08-17-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Old 08-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
WebDozer
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User

A problem at C3-4 could certainly cause shoulder pain. Happened to me.

Other than that, I just think you got a really bad radiologist's report (unfortunately, not all that unusual) and there's no point spending more time trying to understand it.

Closed Thread

Tags
cervical spine, fusions, myelogram