It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• Interpreting MRI

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-21-2013, 05:33 AM   #1
    anditeach
    (female)

anditeach HB User
    Question Interpreting MRI

Just go results of Cervical MRI and some terminology don't understand. Will see neurosurgeon in 3 weeks. Are some of you able to help me out? Would really appreciate it!
    C3-C4: Right paracentral disc osteophyte with narrowing of rt lateral recess. No cord deformity.
    C4-C5: Mod. left paracentral disc osteophyte complex with mod. left neural foraminal narrowing. Minimal cord deformity.
    C5-C6:Advanced disc space narrowing. Mod. to large broad-based posterior disc ossified complex with anterior deformity of the thecal sac and advanced bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. Minimal cord deformity.
    C6-C7:Advanced disc space narrowing. Mod. to large broad-based posterior disc osteophyte complex with anterior deformity of the thecal sac and advanced neural foraminal narrowing.
    C7-T1: No significant disc bulging or protrusion.
    T1-2: Mod. central extrusion with anterior deformity of the thecal sac and Mod. to advanced bilateral neural foraminal narrowing. Minimal thoracic deformity.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
    WebDozer
    Inactive
    (female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
    Re: Interpreting MRI

Disk osteophyte complexes mean that osteophytes (bone spurs) are growing off the backs of the interfaces between your vertebrae and disks. The disks themselves may or may not be bulging out also.

I'm going to GUESS that the "disc ossified complex" at C5-6 is a transcription error and that the radiologist actually said "disk osteophyte complex". Ossification of the posterior ligament is possible, but seems unlikely given the context.

Usually, the next step beyond "moderate" is "severe". I don't know if this guy is using "advanced" in place of "severe" or if he means to indicate something in between "moderate" and "severe".

At several levels, the disk-osteophyte complexes have indented the thecal sac, which is the membrane surrounding your spinal canal and containing the cerebrospinal fluid and, within that, your spinal cord. Apparently, though, the indentations of the thecal sac are not big enough to have significant effects on the cord.... yet.

The more significant effects are on the foramina, which are the openings in the front/sides of the spinal cage, though which pass the spinal nerves after leaving the cord and heading off to the shoulders, arms, hands, etc. At three levels you have significant narrowing of the foramina on one or both sides. There's a very good chance that the nerve roots within the foramina are being affected (radiculopathy).
    This could cause pain in your neck and a whole range of symptoms going down to your hands.

Last edited by WebDozer; 08-21-2013 at 12:41 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
    extrusion, foraminal narrowing, osteophyte, thecal sac