It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

Schwarnoma Right L4/L5

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 PM   #1
nebula53
(male)

nebula53 HB User
Question Schwarnoma Right L4/L5

HI I am a 'healthy' 43yr old male and I have recently had neurosurgery on a L4 sheath tumour in an attempt to remove the tumour. Unfortunately all they could do was remove scar tissue from the nerve and fuse the L4/L5 as this was removed to access the area. I have now been told that the tumour is behind the L4 nerve which is unusually large and the only way to remove the tumour is to cut that section of nerve away. This will render the nerve inoperative.
The neurosurgeon was vague about my abilities after this surgery saying nerves are too hard to predict. However they are 99% certain I will be left with drop foot. He also suggested there could be bladder function damage that could be permanent or temporary and could not rule out other as yet unknown disabilities.
They are fairly certain the tumour is benign and has said we could just wait for 6 months and see if it starts growing again, but they cannot guarantee that this growth is not cancerous. Having lost my dad to melanoma when I was 17and my mother currently going through chemo for secondary tumours resulting from an ovarian tumour, I am not sure if i should take the gamble it is benign. However the thought of losing my foot and possibly bladder is also terryfying. Can anyone advise on these potential symptoms as my neurosurgeon was vague and did not fill me with great confidence.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
WebDozer
Inactive
(female)

WebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB UserWebDozer HB User
Re: Schwarnoma Right L4/L5

Nebula - Let me suggest that you repeat your post on the Back Problems board. People there are quite knowledgeable about lumbar problems, while those here deal more with cervical.
Good luck

Closed Thread

Tags
drop foot, nerve disease, neurosurgery