It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Spinal Cord Disorders Message Board

• SSEP Test on Tuesday

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-22-2003, 03:39 PM   #1
    Renee016

Renee016 HB User
    Post SSEP Test on Tuesday

I saw the nuerologist again today. He looked at my MRI's and told me he wants me to see a nuerosurgeon (whom I already had an apt to see). He said he has seen patients with herniated discs in their neck that have only leg problems - I guess my orthopedist never heard of this?!?!?!? So he is sending me for an SSEP test next week. Does anyone know anything about this test? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Renee
    2002 Diagnosed with Epstein-Barr (level was 7+) and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    2003 3 Herniated Cervical Discs - C4 thru C7. One disc (C5-6) pressing on the spinal cord (no nerve root compression) causing leg weakness, tingling, burning and numbness - diagnosed with myelopathy and ACDF recommended.
    2/24/03 One-Level Anterior Cervical Discectomy with donor bone and titanium plate (C5-6)
    Post 2/03 - Symptoms returned and worsening. Weakness in my legs is like walking against a 50 mph wind - pain in lower back and all the way down my right leg to the ankle - vertigo, muscle spasms in trunk and legs
    7/03 EEG, BAERS and MRI of brain all normal
    7/03 MRI of lumbar spine showed mild herniated disc (L4/5) with moderate to severe DDD and edema in the endplates. HOLDING OUT FOR ARTIFICIAL DISC REPLACEMENT!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2003, 05:58 PM   #2
    FloridaGuy

FloridaGuy HB User
    Hi,

SSEP is Somatosensory Evoked Potentials, its an electrical study, they send electrical currents thru the arms/legs and then read the signal in the brain. My nuerologist talked about this but he did a EMG where they send electrial signal down the arm. The EMG was not too painful, just a little uncomfortable.

Good Luck
    FG

ACDF C5-C6, C6-C7 with Donor bone, Titanium plate and six screws. April 23, 2002

Closed Thread